DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-15-2013, 12:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 ram 1500
Rep:10
yankeeslover is on a distinguished road
Default 1500 quad.. 5.7. how do i figure out tow and payload?

I admit I am very very new to all this. this is my first new truck.. I have upgraded from a 6 banger ford explorer. I tow a two place snowmobile trailer in winter and a small 2900 pound camper in summer.. with the suv it was easy to figure out my tow capacity and gvwc(3500 pound for explorer-towing)... how do I figure out with my new ram truck? I did look on rams site and I believe it says with my current factory installed hitch and 3.55 axle I can pull 8500 pounds.. but where do I find the GVWC? I cant seem to find this. I am assuming that the 8500 pounds takes in account of one driver, but once you start adding more people to truck then you have to subtract from the 8500???? like in an suv? I just want to know with a family of 5 in truck and pulling a 2900 pound camper, how much cargo I can put in bed for my camping trip next week.. im sorry about these dumb questions, I just don't know.. thank you, oh, and one more question, the tow/haul button, I use it when towing but am I supposed to use it when hauling stuff in the bed? and if so what weight? thanks again
Sponsored links
Old 05-15-2013, 02:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black Gold / White Gold
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:264
Explorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the rough

Inside your driver's door is a sticker that states "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed xxx LB". According to your owner's manual the xxx weight is the weight of the driver, passengers, cargo in the cab and bed and the tongue weight of your trailer. If you didn't already call customer service to have them send you the real owner's manual (it's almost 800 pages) consider calling them. It's free to the first owner. Using my 2013 Ram Laramie Longhorn as an example, my sticker says to never exceed 825 lbs. Assuming a 10% tongue weight on your 2900 LB trailer, that lowers my 825 to 535 lbs. I weigh 185 lbs, my wife weighs 150 lbs, my daughter weighs 70 lbs. With my family and your trailer as an example that leaves me 130 lbs for a cooler or the bikes but not both. Your sticker is probably higher than mine since mine has one of the lowest ratings I've seen.