DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:20
godwin25 is on a distinguished road
Question 2000 1500 Sport headlight replacement

I need some help. I bought my son a 2000 1500 Sport and he bought some Spyder projector headlight assemblies. The problem is that the headlights only came with one plug and the truck has separate plugs for the high and low beams. We can only get one or the other to work. I am thinking I am going to have to splice into the the plugs to wire everything up right. Does anyone know where I can get the wiring schematics for this truck and any other help would be greatly appreciated. Spyder tech support has been no help at all.
Sponsored links
Old 05-08-2013, 01:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:1045
double0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud of

this is a problem many 2nd gen owners run into. nothing against you personally, but people see a headlight they like and order it without realizing the sports had quad lamps vs the standard rams with duals. the problem lies in the fact that both sport and standard run dual filament bulbs for low, but the sport has a seperate high beam section compared to the standard with one bulb. aftermarket assemblies use either an H1 or an H11 bulb, and im 99% positive both are SINGLE filament bulbs housed in the porjector.... see the problem there? for reference, i think the aftermarket assemblies high beams are 9006.

ALMOST ALL aftermarket headlights, projector or halogen bucket, are designed for the standard rams. Youll be very hard pressed to find one wired up for the sports, although there are a few companies with them. Sad part is they dont know the difference so getting answers on what works and what doesnt is a shot in the dark, like your experiencing.

Your BEST bet is splicing. the ground wire is obvious, its either brown or black depending on a few different things that are unimportant.

splice that high beam wire off like your thinking and connect the trucks high beam wiring to the aftermarket high beam wiring. this will require you to split up and splice apart that aftermarket assemblies wiring. the plug stays for the low beam.

alot of useless rambling sorry, but its something i fought a few times between owning a 99 sport and a 2000 standard 1500. hopefully you understand this a bit better now. I will also recommend looking into replacing those halogen bulbs in that afterarket assembly with HIDs, as youll find the output of the aftermarkets are on par with the stock system.

Last edited by double0ram; 05-08-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default Thanks for the help

I actually found a company that sells a wiring harness that takes care of the problem. I do think I will end up switching to the HID's as the new highlights are not brighter than stock but do look better, just wonder how much trouble the conversion will be.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:43 PM

double0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud of

the hid conversion typically is plug and play, extremely easy. to really figure out if you'll have issues, could you put up a link to that wiring harness you found?

if I'm imagining it right... you shouldn't have issues. the hid relay harness would plug into the harness you have, and then you plug in ballasts and bulbs off of the hid relay harness. make sure you order the hid kit with the bulbs that fit for the aftermarket headlights, and not the stock bulb 9004/9007.

I hear Ya on output! they sure look good, but without an upgrade in lighting, their just for looks. they take to hid quite well.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default Harness

http://www.k2motor.com/94-01-dodge-ram-sport-model-headlight-wiring-harness-pair.html[/URL]

This is the harness I found. Any suggestions on which HID system would be best.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:28 AM

high end, Retro solutions or a kit from The Retrofit Source. Both of those you'll pay more for but they're also quality parts from quality companies that back their products with good warranties.

and for an affordable option, DDM Tuning has kits for very reasonable pricing, but they come shipped from China so there's a solid shipping time for delivery.

I have a kit (and retrofit projectors ) from The retrofit source in my last ram and now in my car and I won't get anything else now. ZERO problems and awesome customer service. One the other hand, my wife is running a DDM tuning kit (3) in her chrys 300, and the high and low kits function just fine, but the fog system failed after three months.

another minor, and it's purely cosmetic, but the high end systems power up faster with clear defined color, and the affordable kits power up slower, sometimes with color shifts between either side.