DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:18
rango88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkem View Post
Great write up....Thanks for the review....Looking forward to the next one......

Thank you, I might be moving this summer and go to the cottage so I will review the truck more in depth then.

I did forget to review the 4x4 capabilities I used during the winter.

-My Ranger was a 2WD with just the Traction Control and Stability to keep me planted. Stock tires on the Ranger were 235/75/R15 on Goodyear Wrangler SR-A which were god awful. Terrible in snow, ice, rain, slush. I hear the SR-A are quiet and offer better MPG then typical tires, but on the Ranger you can't tell since there is very little sound deadening (took apart all 4 doors and found that it was just a plastic covering like a vapor barrier so you hear everything) and MPG in Rangers with the 4L as comparable to most fullsizes.

-During the winter I had run 400 lbs of weight in the bed near the cab and rear wheels and while this did nothing but hinder braking and MPG at least i could drive through over a foot of snow without getting stuck. The traction control had to be in the off postion though. If it stayed on, it would kill the engine and I would stall (manual transmission)

-On to the Ram during the winter. Before buying my Big Horn I test drove a '10 Sport with the Auto 4x4 option and I liked the idea but still wanted a 2WD (i drive mostly paved roads). Obviouslly most market crew cab hemi Rams are 4x4 so a 2WD was impossible to find even after a national search (I did find a 4.7L 2WD but wanted the Hemi). So I got the Big Horn and I was happy for the Auto 4x4. I only experienced 3 major snowfalls in the short time with the Ram and it did great in 4x4 Auto with the BFG AT/KO, I ran with no weight and never had any loss of traction. Braking in the slush was terrible with the BFG but I suspect it's because they were packed with slush.

I only used the 4x4 Hi once and that was just to drive in a snow covered parking lot and the only space available was near where they push the excess snow. The truck drove through the snow bank with no issues.

-I have never used 4x4 Low except for its once a month lubrication use so all the components stay oiled so I can't review its capabilities but I am sure it's excellent.

Last edited by rango88; 04-18-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrex View Post
Thanks for the review. You might find a better tire when these wear out that give better steering feel. I came out a 2000 Tacoma 4x4 extra cab to my 05 QC4X4 Ram. Within 2 weeks my back problems were over. Gas mileage has been about the same= 16 mpg or so. But the Ram handles way better on bad roads, sucks up the bumps where the Tacoma was hobby horsing and bouncing like a buckboard. Now we can go with 2 other couples in comfort.
With the lift, I will stay with ATs for sure. Might look the at the Grabber AT/2 or the Goodyear Silent Armour (not sure). As for comfort, one of the reasons I traded in the ranger was the lack of comfort. My fiance had trouble sitting in the ranger for extended periods of time. It bothered me that she was so uncomfortable so I knew it was time to trade for something more comfortable and Kid friendly (Children are in the Future). I made sure that my fiance was more then comfortable with the seats and ride before buying the ride. I check with her regularly to confirm she is still confortable and I am happy to report she is.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moulin6801 View Post
Thanks for the review. I got a new 2013 with 8 gears and I could see how not having it you would feel a greater jump on the gears...
Could you tell more about the Bilsteins shocks and the lift.
I choose not to buy the air ride. The 2013 have enough Eletronics on it to go wrong, did not think I need to add more potential problem. Plus, I though that I may want to lift it down the road. My ride is as good as the Air ride. ( test drove both quite a few times)
So, how do you like it?? Could you tell much of the difference between the Mopa and Bilsteins?
Do you think that the lift decreased MPG.??
Thanks!!!
I can't compare the OEM with the bilsteins as the previous owner had installed the bilstein before I acquired the truck. I can compare the ride between my truck and my brother's 2010 Hemi, 2WD, single Cab long box and the ride is firmer then his truck. I would say the ride is better in his Ram because of the 2WD set up but that doesnt mean my ride is overly firm or uncomfortable, it just means you feel more planted on the road (less floaty) and it feel more connected. I prefer the firmness of my ride since it balances out the Ram's lack of steering feel and makes me feel more engaged with the truck and the road.

If you're looking for the best comfort then the OEM set up is probably best, but if you're looking for lift and still want a truck that rides like a truck without being uncomfortable then the bilsteins are recommendable. I believe the bilsteins are adjustable and this may impact the ride quality, perhaps if you do go the bilstein route you could adjust them so they offer a ride that's a little more floaty. I like the Ride my current set up offers so I wouldn't change it . I hope this helps with my limited experience with this setup
Old 04-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

Really good write-up, the floaty feeling you described is accurate, my 2010 had this issue also, that problem is non-existing on my new truck. The steering feels quite a bit different being electrically driven now.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:34 AM

Small Update.

Drove the truck for the longest period of time (a total of 155 kms/ 97 miles)

Happy to say the truck averaged 13L/100 kms or 18 MPG US/21 MPG Imp at a steady 100 kmh with the cruise on. It seemed like my DTE meter always stayed in the 490-515 km range (depending on the hills and speed) for the whole time.

Seats were still amazingly comfortable for myself and my fiance and even the mother in-law enjoyed the ride in the back seat (gotta say I can't see myself owning a midsize truck or Quad cab Ram, the extra room the crew cab offers is perfect for my needs)

The mother in-law even enjoyed the hemi sound (the rear sliding window was open) and I showed her what real power is and she giggled the whole time . So for my mother in-law to love my truck says a lot as she isnt really a car enthusiast. Another victory for the Ram.

My fiance was looking at a new '13 ford f150 Fx2 ecoboost on a lot and she now says she prefers the Ram (Since '09, my fiance has always prefered the F150 so I am glad the Ram won her over) 2 Victories in one day. Way to go Ram.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Crew
Townsend is on a distinguished road

Great write up and review. I just left a deposit on the almost exactly same truck. I have the tow mirrors. And 17's. I can't thank you enough for the feed back. Thanks
Old 05-22-2013, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townsend View Post
Great write up and review. I just left a deposit on the almost exactly same truck. I have the tow mirrors. And 17's. I can't thank you enough for the feed back. Thanks
Congrats on your purchase, I hope you enjoy it as much as I am enjoying mine