DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > Cummins Diesel Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-08-2013, 02:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:10
amarillo is on a distinguished road
Default 2007 DIY advice

My 2007 Ram 2500 has less than 40000 miles. Got a call from the dealer today and they want $4000 to do maintainence on some 'worn out' parts. Of course the warranty ran out at 36K. Thought I'd get some advice here before attempting the easy stuff myself. To start with it needs a new oxygen sensor and the fuel filter replaced. Dealership wants $500+ for the work. How hard is it to replace the O2 sensor and fuel filter over the weekend? I beleive I already have all the necessary tools. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored links
Old 05-08-2013, 02:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '12 ram 3500
Trim Level: laramie limited
Color: mineral grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:29
scrappy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarillo View Post
My 2007 Ram 2500 has less than 40000 miles. Got a call from the dealer today and they want $4000 to do maintainence on some 'worn out' parts. Of course the warranty ran out at 36K. Thought I'd get some advice here before attempting the easy stuff myself. To start with it needs a new oxygen sensor and the fuel filter replaced. Dealership wants $500+ for the work. How hard is it to replace the O2 sensor and fuel filter over the weekend? I beleive I already have all the necessary tools. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance.
both are simple enough to change, there is NO WAY I would pay the dealer $500 for those 2 items!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks scrappy! They've already got me for $150 for diagnostics, then they want another $260 for the O2 sensor and $162 for a fuel filter. They also want to replace a rear seal, and that is over $800. I can't imagine the part on that is very expensive either. I'll find out today exactly what seal they say is leaking. I've replaced the fuel filter on the car and it only takes about 20 minutes.

Any more advice anyone?
Old 05-09-2013, 06:18 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:45
Chris65 is on a distinguished road

How it looks like, u have an estimate.
It seems like this is one of the 95% dealers who just want your best.
Money.
I hate such blood suckers.
If it would be in your interest, they would had called you and give you a free warranty inspection before the warranty ended. Or they would had told you to come by before you reached the mileage.
Before you do anything-look, what's maintenance and what's wear damage.
Contact customer service and ask for help with the cost, because you do not believe that chrysler has such a poor quality and you re just 4000 miles over.
Next step, look for another dealer.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:28 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:355
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

The fuel filter is located in the fuel tank with the pump. It's not really designed to be replaced but it certainly can be if needed. The tank just has to be dropped. Why are they wanting to replace it anyway?? Are you having some sort of issue with your truck that makes them think it needs replacing? If not, it doesn't need replacing and even if you are I would look elsewhere before I messed with the in-tank filter. Like starting with a thorough throttle body clean, running some Sea Foam, and a plug change if it's time for one. All things you can do yourself.

My understanding about the O2 sensor is that it's pretty simple. Unplug, unscrew, repeat in reverse and done. The only kink is that it might be a little hard to break loose. Might even need a little heat thrown to it but that's something an independent shop could fairly cheaply do if you can't. The sensors do vary in price a little depending whether it's an upstream or downstream sensor.

I would see what they have to say about the rear seal. Are you talking about the rear diff? That work can get a little expensive, depending on the problem. But it doesn't necessarily have to be. I just had my mechanic fix a leaking rear pinion seal and it cost me $75. Of course, that's best case scenario.

So what else are they trying to do that adds up to $4,000??

**EDIT**
Grrrr....my bad. I just realized you are rocking a Cummins so my response is not very helpful, lol. I'm clueless when it comes to diesels but this looks like a good how-to on the fuel pump. It says 15 minutes!
http://www.******************/f11/cum...er-change-129/

I don't know but I couldn't imagine the O2 sensor swap being all that different unless it is just extremely hard to get to for some reason.

Maybe that's a little help. Not as much help as I originally intended, lol.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.

Last edited by starquestbd22; 05-09-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:32 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT - Quad Cab
Color: Graphite Metalic
Rep:118
tjbiker031 will become famous soon enoughtjbiker031 will become famous soon enough

If you want a copy of a factory service manual for your ram, PM me orlet me know here.....ill be more than happy to email your or anybody a copy!!!

Get your Factory Manuals here!! <link fixed>
Old 05-10-2013, 07:14 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: silver
Rep:45
Chris65 is on a distinguished road

By the way-if the nox-sensors are ok-why u wanna swap them? Most issues occurring through overrepair! A diesel normally needs oilchange and maybe every 30-40000 miles a fuel filter. And a clean airfilter. That's it.
I woul be interested too, what they want $4000 for. Would be a reason to buy a ford...
Old 05-15-2013, 11:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for all the advice! Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a new fuel filter, oxygen sensor and error code reader (for future issues). The O2 sensor seems like a simple fix, and I'm pretty sure I can do the fuel filter at the same time.

The dealership wanted to replace the steering gear box, steering linkage, the ball joints/tie rods/arms and the rear main seal. They promised the noise it is making would go away after $3000+ in repairs. The problem is that it isn't making any noise to begin with. It does need a new rear seal since I can smell it leaking.

And the Ford dilemma continues...I'll admit that I used to be 100% Ford girl. I had two F250s before I bought the Dodge. They both had major issues which cost me thousands and thousands to fix, and they still never ran right. I spent a lot of time comparing the F-Series to the Cummins Diesel and ended up trading the F250 in for a Dodge. I still have my Mustang GT in the garage as my daily driver, but I'm going to try to work though my Dodge issues before I throw in the towel.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:44 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT - Quad Cab
Color: Graphite Metalic
Rep:118
tjbiker031 will become famous soon enoughtjbiker031 will become famous soon enough

Hang in there. Unfourtanatly sometimes you have to deal wth and fix other peoples stupidity in maintance. I dont have a diesel yet, but Dodge (in my opinion) are good reliable trucks as long as the maintance is done properly.

All those repairs are do-able for the average person to do with a basic mechanical understanding. There are tons of videos and manuals to assist you.

Get your Factory Manuals here!! <link fixed>