DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-16-2013, 12:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:192
Judd McPherson has a spectacular aura aboutJudd McPherson has a spectacular aura about
Default Class-action lawsuit for incorrect 3.21 gears

As many of you on this forum are already aware, Ram built a large number of 2013 8-speed Ram 1500 trucks that were supposed to come with standard 3.55 gears (Sport and several other versions) with the incorrect 3.21 gears. The difference in gear ratio reduces the towing capacity by 2,000 pounds. Chrysler acknowledges the problem, and has sent new window stickers to dealers for the incorrect units that have not yet sold. The new window stickers list 3.21 gears and a lower tow capacity. The problem lies with trucks like mine that were ordered with 3.55 gears and have a window sticker that says 3.55 gears with a reported tow capacity of over 8,000 pounds, but in reality have the 3.21 gears and a 2,000 pound loss in the STATED tow capacity. The only way to tell if your truck was built with the wrong gears is to look at the stickers on your differentials, or to request the detailed build information from Chrysler Customer Care. THE TRUCKS WITH THE WRONG 3.21 GEARS WILL STILL HAVE A WINDOW STICKER THAT SAYS 3.55 GEAR RATIO.

I have already tried to resolve this with Chrysler and have been told that there is nothing that they will do. Unfortunately, it appears that a class-action lawsuit will be the only way that those of us that spent $50,000.00+ on our fully loaded TOW vehicle will actually get what we ordered and paid for. I am an active member of this forum, and an attorney in Missouri. I am looking for a class-representative for a class-action lawsuit (preferably from Missouri) since I cannot be the attorney filing the lawsuit and the class representative. The class representative generally receives compensation above the normal class members in exchange for their time answering interrogatories and possibly doing a deposition.

Contrary to allegations already made by a certain member of this forum, I am not an "ambulance chaser", nor am I looking for "free money". I simply want what others with the wrong gears want - the truck that I ordered and paid for! A 2,000 pound decrease in towing capacity substantially effects the resale value of our trucks as well. Some of you might remember the fiasco with the 1999 Dakota R/T that had an unpublished reduced tow capacity due to the lowered suspension. Chrysler was only willing to resolve the issue as part of a class-action lawsuit. Fast forward to 2013....

Message me if you are willing to act as a class-representative.
Sponsored links
Old 05-22-2013, 11:01 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the heads up, Judd.

Grub out!
Old 09-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Red
Rep:10
nmcbedwell is on a distinguished road

Have you had any luck with this? I just spent over one hour on phone with them. I have 3.21 gears and should have 3.55 gears.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

has anyone contacted the BBB & filed a complaint ??

has anyone even bothered to contact & file a complaint with the NHTSA ???

has anyone bothered to file a case against them for FALSE ADVERTISING ??

a person has so many alternatives & hardly anyone can be bothered doing them

a few members have said that they were given things like free oil changes & free extended warranties because of the so called error with the ratio

this didn't help the person that really needs to tow something heavy, but at least they are willing to give some concessions
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 09-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
has anyone contacted the BBB & filed a complaint ??

has anyone even bothered to contact & file a complaint with the NHTSA ???

has anyone bothered to file a case against them for FALSE ADVERTISING ??

a person has so many alternatives & hardly anyone can be bothered doing them

a few members have said that they were given things like free oil changes & free extended warranties because of the so called error with the ratio

this didn't help the person that really needs to tow something heavy, but at least they are willing to give some concessions

BBB is a joke. It survives off the donations and fees for the companies that participate. If Chrysler were to give the BBB say 5mil a year, do you think the BBB would give Chrysler a negative rating? (I know, extremem example) The BBB has no power or influence to do anything.

NHTSA would be a long shot, its not technically a defect. Maybe nail them for the window stickers but thats about it. I know several have filed complaints about it, you can look it up.

False advertising would be a law suit as well, actually it would end up being a class action suit so its no different than the OPs request (actually will probably be included in the brief).

A few free oil changes or another year on the warranty will not cover for the lack of recieving the right vehicle. The problem is two fold. First the simple value, the gears them selves have value, the amount of work the truck can no longer due has value, the resale value of the vehicle is affected as well. You could easily be talking $15k inclusive cost per vehicle for lost actual and residual value. Second is the fact Chrysler knew of this and PURPOSLY neglected to put the right information on the window sticker AND PURPOSLY delivered the WRONG vehicles to paying customers. This is a crime under buisness law and chrysler should be forced to compensate the victims of the crime they committed.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:11 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

I am not generally one to comment on a post like this but unfortunately the posts above I believe are correct. I did have a friend who bought a 2013 and received the wrong gears, he got them to agree to put the correct gears in once the dealer receives them, this was about a week ago, not sure how long it is taking to get the gears out, nor do I know if they have gone this far for anyone else or not.

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Old 09-27-2013, 01:28 PM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

I would think the dealer would resolve this, I think mine would.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1534
DarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
A GOOD dealer would. I agree people should get what they pay for. Especially at the $30K+ mark. I also think class action suits make lawyers wet themselves since it is like winning the lottery for them. Sure they members in the suit sometimes get what they wanted but if it isn't what they wanted and the lawyers agree on a settlement they are SOL.
Magnaflow 14" Custom Install Bilstein 5100s Front Only Set at 2.8" Vararam Air Grabber Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna Dee Zee Tailgate Assist Billet Technology "The Punisher" Shift Knob Debadged doors and tailgate Plasti Dipped HEMI Badge The Punisher Grille and Tailgate Badges Exterior Chrome Delete 20" XD Series 795 Hoss LT305/55R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Cabin Air Filter BAKFlip Roll-X Tonneau Cover
Old 09-27-2013, 03:02 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully's Performance View Post
I am not generally one to comment on a post like this but unfortunately the posts above I believe are correct. I did have a friend who bought a 2013 and received the wrong gears, he got them to agree to put the correct gears in once the dealer receives them, this was about a week ago, not sure how long it is taking to get the gears out, nor do I know if they have gone this far for anyone else or not.
Very well put on working it up the chain, starting with the purchasing dealer. I would like to believe that moral and honest dealers are still out there, but then again, there are probably more bad than good. If I was the dealer owner and I assisted a customer with ordering a custom built truck, if something was not installed as per build sheet, you bet your ass I would make it right. Yes you could lose $2000 as the dealer, if a 4WD, to swap in the correct gears as requested on the build sheet, but I would think that as a dealer, you could submit this type of repair/replacement of gears, as a warranty claim because it is in all reality, a defect in workmanship and materials. The dealer would get some kind of money back for fixing something like this spoof, I am sure of it.

Last edited by Gantman; 09-27-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Trim Level: SLT
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post

This really isnt the dealers fault. That would be like saying walmart is responsible for your cracked frame on the Huffy bike you bought. The dealer, though affiliated with chrysler is not the manufacturer. In many cases the dealer did not even know about this. A GOOD dealer should fight for you, but this one is on chrysler.