DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
KSHEMIRAM is on a distinguished road
Default Problems with my RAM

Took the RAM into the dealer to get some service done while I was out of town last week, and like the typical dealer does, they could not verify the issue. So I'm looking to you all for input.

Upon acceleration (typically when getting on the highway) the truck feels extremely sluggish. Then as the RPM's get higher I can hear a quick rattle noise out my back window, immediately after which, the truck just takes off. This can happen multiple times during the acceleration between shifts. The dealer was able to confirm the noise and checked it for heat shield/cat noise/loose exhaust, but all were tight and nothing would cause them to rattle, and that the noise didn't take place consistently enough to verify. This happens EVERY SINGLE TIME I get on the highway. I even went down and made it do it EVERY SINGLE TIME I got on the highway with the service manager with me. Even after all of this, he proceeded to tell me, without checking anything else (tranny, drive shaft, rear end), that the issue would have to get worse in order to pinpoint it.

This to me sounds like pure laziness on the dealer's part. So, has anyone else had this issue??? Has anyone had this issue fixed??? What was it???
Sponsored links
Old 05-20-2013, 05:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 sport quad
Color: deep cherry red
Rep:-11
pdrules can only hope to improve

i had something similar to that i actually thought it was a pebble or two thrown up and hitting the stepbars did it maybe a dozen times the first two months i had it never heard it since now its a year old...never did bring it in cause i couldnt do it on demand..still seems to drive just fine and getting better...was worried it was the torque converter but i dont know still seems fine
Old 05-21-2013, 11:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Trim Level: SLT
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

The dealer hires techs, not mechanics, this is important to keep in mind.

A tech will simply replace a broken part with a good part per the manual. Unless a part or system is obvioulsy broken or can be confirmed via computer, they are generally at a loss.

A mechanic can trouble shoot. They also replace broken part with good part, but then attempt to figure out why said part broke in the first place and prevent it from happening again. A quality mechanic is not cheap, and most dealerships will not pay for it as most quality mechanics will not work for commision or low shop rate.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:10
KSHEMIRAM is on a distinguished road

I've done some more research on here and it sounds identical to what others described on their 2011's in regards to the torque converter.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=97839

I'd really like for TransEngineer to chime in if possible.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 sport quad
Color: deep cherry red
Rep:-11
pdrules can only hope to improve

hope u find the answer...i was really worried for awhile on mine..but then it went away...it didnt seem right.. always when u got on it till it shifted...couldnt make it do it but then next time wallaa...like i said earlier though still seems fine and havent had it do that in a long time..originally i thought it was pebbles then more intrusive a sheared off flywheel torque converter bolt head laying in the pan every once in awhile it whould pick it up and toss it around...had that happen in a chevy.. since it quit making that sound i quit investigating it...probably be a 1000 miles from nowhere and the real prob shows its face..that would suck
Old 05-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright White-W7
Rep:139
Hemi N Haw will become famous soon enoughHemi N Haw will become famous soon enough
Smile

Hey K. Do you have a 24 or 32 gallon fuel tank? I ask because my truck from time to time will behave like it doesn't understand what input my throttle is slamming into the floor. I don't beat on her ever. That said when it comes time to jump into highway traffic flow it will sometimes miss behave like you mention. I haven't noticed a rear window noise but I have opened the rear drivers side window & it did appear to wiggle a bit from minor wind. This all said w/ my 32gal fuel tank I have noticed the truck produce a thud usually stopping w/ 3/4 of a tank of fuel in it. But! It's done it inching forward from a dead stop & at really slow speeds w/ less than half a tank of fuel. Rams answer from their rectum is the usual oh thats normal. Uh no it's not you incompetent freaks. So I'm thinking yea it's our torque converters & they just don't wanna start eating repair costs & have to start throwing in decent converters to fix the issue. In my opinion I believe they do this to save the rest of the driveline from popping else where via limiting the amount of our 390hp/407tq that the hemi spits out threw the drive train to the wheels. Oh & no my hill assist is off I'm sure of that. So thats not the issue & I bet it's the same thing K is dealing w/ & many others. Hence my fuel tank question. Any ways good luck pal.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:99
lbram81 will become famous soon enough

Fuel possibly? Do you fill up at the same station every time? Maybe throw some premium in? I had a horrible hesitation when slamming the gas pedal on my work truck (F150 5.4). Went on for years, just never cared to address it. For piece of mind threw some premium in once, never had the problem again believe it or not. Just a thought.

Taylor Swift IS NOT a country singer!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:12 AM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Sorry to hear that you are having issues....I hope things get worked out for you.....

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"