DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:47
shaner82 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunnerseoinc View Post
Good man. I read sport and thought 2WD. Then I did answer your question, leave it in 4 high/lock and don't worry. I have LSD's front and rear but when the snow gets bad I still put it in 4WD. It's night and day different than 2WD even with LSD's.
Do you have 4WD auto? As soon as the first big snow comes, I'm going to take the truck out and drive it hard in 2WD, 4WD auto and 4WD high and see what kind of results I get in slippery conditions. Then I should know what setting is best, although driving in 4 high worries me.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Rep:10
pitch1 is on a distinguished road

I do not like LSD on slippery roads. Just throw 5 or 6 tube sands in the back and she will be good to go. Don't just throw it in 4 lock and leave it there,teach her when it is needed and not. Probably wouldn't happen with the traction control but the first time you start up a slippery hill and it downshifts 2 gears, with LSD and both rear wheels spinning you better be on your toes

Last edited by pitch1; 05-22-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 dodge power wagon
Trim Level: power wagon
Color: black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:68
mb power wagon will become famous soon enough

i'd say just tell her to drive according to conditions. i'm from manitoba and i love my power wagon in winter. lsd and electric locking diffs. my lsd has never given me a problem in winter driving even on extremely icy roads. the lsd will help but ya gotta be ready for anything if your on ice. to help with traction i have 2 three foot long pieces of train track i put behind my rear wheel wells in the box. the weight makes a huge difference with traction. make sure you have good tires for the type of driving your truck is usually used for. if you use different tires for winter and summer i recommend firestone winterforce for winter tires. i have used them on my last 3 trucks and they have never let me down. great on ice and even better on deep snow and even work pretty good as an all terrain tire.

Last edited by mb power wagon; 05-23-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:52 AM

Vehicle: 2010 2500
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Rep:108
ridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enoughridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner82 View Post
Do you have 4WD auto? As soon as the first big snow comes, I'm going to take the truck out and drive it hard in 2WD, 4WD auto and 4WD high and see what kind of results I get in slippery conditions. Then I should know what setting is best, although driving in 4 high worries me.
I've always had 4X4 vehicles and sometimes get confused with the new crappy setups that come out. For many decades it has been 2WD, 4 High Range, 4 Low Range and that's it. Sometimes U could have 2WD Low in some of the older vehicles. Today they have 4 lock, 4 high, 4 low, AWD, Auto 4WD, etc, etc. My 2500 has 4 Lock (high, same thing) and 4 Low. I know how hard it is to teach someone (especially a woman) the finer things of 4WD and driving in bad weather etc. so if she won't learn... leaving it in 4 lock or 4 auto won't hurt a thing, better safe than sorry with a loved one.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
pitch1 is on a distinguished road

I don't know how your snow is but we will have a mile of packed slick road followed by a couple of miles of dry windswept road.and back and forth. When in 4 lock those front tires need to slip a bit to keep from bindng up. Driving in 4wd will scrub the hell out of those tires and maybe worse if the pressure on the driveline is not released.
Even though nominally both front and rear gears sets are the same, (ie: 3:55) the front differential is a slight bit more aggressive than the rear. This is so the front will pull. otherwise turning would not work real well. THIS IS WHY IF THE FRONT END IS PLOWING THROUGH A TURN A BIT OF EXTRA POWER WILL PULL IT OUT.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:28 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Color: True Blue
Rep:50
mgbighorn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
I won't tell you which is best, i don't know just what ESP does or how Traction Control works
I go out into areas where the trail is really just packed blow sand & my Ram has the Open Differential & i have Tow Hooks & a trailer hitch in case i get stuck
I would prefer the LSD for the times that i must go out there.

I do know about farm tractors & traction, i was raised on a farm
Farm Tractors have an Open Differential, but they also have 2 brake pedals
these normally work together with the use of a metal bar that connects them
the bar can be easily moved to let the pedals work separately
when one wheel starts spinning, you lightly press the brake that controls the spinning wheel & the traction transfers to the non spinning wheel

A car or truck only has 1 brake pedal, but you can make that pedal work almost like a tractor
If your Drive wheel starts spinning, applying just the right amount of pressure on the brake pedal, along with just the right amount of gas pedal, will transfer most of the traction to the non spinning wheel
As beginning automobile drivers, we used to get stuck in sand pits & muddy fields, just to practice that method getting unstuck, someone was always there with a chain, just in case

I came from an old chevy with a g80 locker no traction control or abs. Every time it snowed i would have to put it in 4x4 just to get anywhere without the ass end slipping out.

Now with one winter behind my ram i can say that i LOVE traction control for the winter. It is great. I only had to put it in 4x4 3-4 times all the other times the open diff, 3.55's, with traction control on did wonders. You can pull out on ice put it to the floor and it will take of slowly with minimal wheel slip.

Like you i was initially worried about not having 3.92's and a lsd as almost anyone on these forms tells you that you need them. But for me Tc and 3.55's works great.

I also have two sets of tires, i have my Summer stock tires on chrome clads and i have a winter set on my original alloys with goodyear silent track tires that do have the "snowflake" on them
Old 05-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
duncanmb is on a distinguished road

I've had the same experiences as mgbighorn with l.s on an older 4x4 truck, and now with my 4x4 09' I love my traction control in snow/ slick cond. Now off road in heavy mud, well .... the argument for l.s. and lockers grows.

Last edited by duncanmb; 05-26-2013 at 10:40 AM.