DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Which type of wax do you prefer/use?
Liquid 65 66.33%
Paste 33 33.67%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2013, 09:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyRacer View Post
There is no "best" wax. Ordinary (and cheap) Green Turtle wax is very good at removing oxidation, smog, soot, road film, tree sap etc. So if you stay up on waxing (twice a year is a little lax) you'll do well to get the GUNK off with Turtle wax, then finish a 2nd coat (or more) with a more expensive wax and detail up with a microfiber cloth.
Twice a year is NOT lax.

A top-shelf wax product [not your OTC garbage] applied twice a year is sufficient for almost any/every vehicle on the road. Environmental conditions and maintenance after-the-fact are the biggest deciding factors as far as the application's effectiveness [longevity].

I do two applications on our vehicles every year, for the most part. Once mid-Spring and the second around late-Fall. Nine times out of ten, I feel this process is sufficient.

Always remember: Preparation and application are the most important factors to address. Often, even more so than the products of choice. Prep your vehicle well prior to the fact and use the correct applicators AND application methods while applying the product.

When it comes to [high-end] automotive detailing supplies, I've found nobody knows the product like the people who manufacture them; so don't be afraid to visit the manufacture's webpage for tips-n-tricks or, even better, call them!

Good luck.

Grub out!
Old 05-31-2013, 09:25 AM

Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfootluke View Post
And that right there puts a big hole in your credibility. How do you prep your paint?
Doesn't effect his credibility at all.

Not everyone does an IPA wipe down.

Grub out!
Old 05-31-2013, 11:03 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post

True, most will not even do a clay bar on there vehicles, but at least some are washing them and some are waxing them.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:04 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

Results don't lie. Some people believe that if your truck is shiney that it has been properly protected. Other people spend more time on the process, use quality products and obtain outstanding results. It all depends on what your level of satisfaction is-----
P.S.-Grubrunner--IMO before you start taking shots at Luke's way of doing things and his processes, how about you post some pictures of your work and we can compare them to the pictures Luke has posted of his work
Jay
Old 05-31-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Ya View Post
P.S.-Grubrunner--IMO before you start taking shots at Luke's way of doing things and his processes, how about you post some pictures of your work and we can compare them to the pictures Luke has posted of his work
Jay
My truck had the full detail treatment les than a week ago today. It was a six hour process inside and out. The pictures I posted on the Tape Removal thread were taken a couple of days after. They're not close up shots, or even taken under ideal lighting conditions, But its all i have. That's as close as I've got as to my work's results. I got caught in a rainstorm last night so it's a little off color now. Ill post pictures in this thread after the next bathe, as the treatment I applied will still be good to show the finished product.

Nobody is taking shots at Luke's process.... especially not me. I dont know how you came to that conclusion....?

After re-reading the few posts prior to mine, I see Luke was speaking about the [gentle] IPA wipe down in regards to the visual inspection during the polishing process and prior to the wax application. That's not what I thought. My bad.

I was replying about using IPA as a stripping tool only for removal of all prior residue. Not everyone uses IPA to strip the old wax and remove any standing contaminants was my point. A quality APC product will do the job just as well as IPA, in terms of removing all prior waxes, sealant or glazes. For the most part, anyway..... He'll, under those conditions, even a clay bar will do a good portion of what IPA does. But, for the record, IPA could never do what clay bar does.

Hope all that's not as clear as mud.

Grub out!
Old 06-23-2013, 06:55 PM

Vehicle: 2013 ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:73
mids will become famous soon enough

I am a big fan of Ultima Paint Prep Plus and Ultima Paint Guard Plus.
http://premiumfinishcare.com/car-care/ultima-catalog

A 12oz bottle of Ultima Paint Prep Plus, costs about $26 and a 4oz bottle of Ultima Paint Guard Plus costs about $20. Although the initial outlay is around $60 after shipping, those two bottles will last quite a few years --or cover many cars, since you use only a tiny amount of each per application, and the results from these product last for months.

I performed a prep with Ultima Paint Prep and used a double application of Ultima Paint Guard Plus on our daily driver six months ago, and the water is still beading like it was recently applied --a sign that it is still protecting. That equates to about $10-12 a year if you try to push it. I know that there are many other products that come in at that price per year, however, I highly doubt any of them offer the quality of protection and reduced maintenance requirements, provided by these Ultima products.

Just a word of warning, apply Ultima Paint Guard Plus very thinly --one to two sprays on the applicator per panel. If you use too much of this product in one area, it may leave what appears to be a white haze on your paint. It I am performing double or triple layer application, I wait one day between applications.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:00 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

I was alluding to his assertion that using IPA is crazy, when it is fairly well known that it works well and is completely safe on paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Ya View Post
Results don't lie. Some people believe that if your truck is shiney that it has been properly protected. Other people spend more time on the process, use quality products and obtain outstanding results. It all depends on what your level of satisfaction is-----
Jay
Thanks Paul!

Quote:
My truck had the full detail treatment les than a week ago today. It was a six hour process inside and out. The pictures I posted on the Tape Removal thread were taken a couple of days after. They're not close up shots, or even taken under ideal lighting conditions, But its all i have. That's as close as I've got as to my work's results. I got caught in a rainstorm last night so it's a little off color now. Ill post pictures in this thread after the next bathe, as the treatment I applied will still be good to show the finished product.

Nobody is taking shots at Luke's process.... especially not me. I dont know how you came to that conclusion....?

After re-reading the few posts prior to mine, I see Luke was speaking about the [gentle] IPA wipe down in regards to the visual inspection during the polishing process and prior to the wax application. That's not what I thought. My bad.

I was replying about using IPA as a stripping tool only for removal of all prior residue. Not everyone uses IPA to strip the old wax and remove any standing contaminants was my point. A quality APC product will do the job just as well as IPA, in terms of removing all prior waxes, sealant or glazes. For the most part, anyway..... He'll, under those conditions, even a clay bar will do a good portion of what IPA does. But, for the record, IPA could never do what clay bar does.

Hope all that's not as clear as mud.

I would never contest that, IPA is a part of paint prep when it comes to stripping oils. You would never use Clay bar instead of IPA after polishing because it would ruin your polished paint. Each has it's place, and Clay is at the beginning of paint prep, IPA is at the end.

If I were prepping paint for a coating, or if time was not an issue, I would rather soak the paint with a good APC and high pressure rinse the paint to strip the oils without even touching the paint. It all depends on the circumstances
Old 10-14-2014, 03:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014
Trim Level: Express 1500 4x2
Color: Granite Crystal Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:10
indaram is on a distinguished road

I have both the paste and liquid NXT wax. Liquid goes on quicker but to me the paste wax seems to put out a better shine. I do a full detail on my vehicles 3-4 times a year.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:34 PM

Vehicle: 2015 Ram1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
fewacres is on a distinguished road

Blackfire Wet Diamond, clay 1xyear, Blackfire paint preparation 1xyear if outside all the time. Have done this on Grand Cherokee and several MBs over the years. Many good products out there. Check out autogeek.com and other detailing sites for ideas. I will be getting a '15 1500 Laramie in Nov.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Crew Express
Color: Blue Streak Pearlcoat
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
glbg is on a distinguished road

Normally, I clay then waxed it. I used both liquid and paste depending what is on sale on the nearby store.