DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 4th Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Maximum Steel
Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 370hp 800lb/ft (6-Speed Automatic)
Rep:46
MeanMango is on a distinguished road
Default Air Conditioner Problem

A few weeks ago I was on a long drive to Houston. About an hour and a half into the drive I started hearing a clicking noise coming from the passenger side under the dash. Then it started getting warm in the truck. I could hear the fan blowing, but only a tiny bit of air was blowing through the vents. It didnt matter what I had the climate control set on, even if I tried manual control.

I found out about the actuator recall thanks to this site so I took it to the dealer and they checked it and it was bad. Another trip to the dealer and they replaced it. They could not flash the ECM because their computer was broken.

It all seemed fine until yesterday (my longest typical drive is an hour) when I was on another 3 hour drive. About an hour and a half in the clicking started and hardly any air was coming out of the vents. On the way home I decided to use manual controls to see if that would work the whole way. I set both sides to Lo and put the fan on full blast. About 2 hours into the drive, it started messing up.

Shutting the truck off for a few minutes when it does this will stop the problem for a few minutes. It seems something it getting hot? It sounds like the blower is still running but the air just cant make it to the vents. Any idea on what else the problem could be? If its a relatively cheap repair I just assume do it myself. Time is money and two trips to the dealer and a few hours off work is hardly worth a $40 repair.
Sponsored links
Old 06-03-2013, 12:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

Mine will do that very rarely when the humidity is high. It turns out it is getting so cold the evaporator is being covered solid in ice. Only happened twice, but both times it got covered in solid ice. You should see the puddle underneath once it all melts!
Old 06-03-2013, 07:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I may be totally off base here, but based on what battlerattle says... IF your evap is icing up, this could indicate a blocked drain line.

I had something similar happen on an Expedition that I used to own...

Having said that, if the truck is having the same symptoms as before, it sounds to me like something wasn't fixed correctly the first time.

good luck and keep us updated

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 06-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excoastie View Post
I may be totally off base here, but based on what battlerattle says... IF your evap is icing up, this could indicate a blocked drain line.

I had something similar happen on an Expedition that I used to own...

Having said that, if the truck is having the same symptoms as before, it sounds to me like something wasn't fixed correctly the first time.

good luck and keep us updated

Exco
A blocked drain wont necassarily cause icing. Though it can cause fluid retention. In my case it was simply a case of the system being over efficient and cooling below freezing at the evap. That combined with high humidity led to a complete blockage until thawed.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:25 AM

Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 370hp 800lb/ft (6-Speed Automatic)

I've had the truck since February 2011 (it was a leftover 2010) and this just started. I live in southwest Louisiana so high humidity is an every day thing.

The first time I noticed it, there was some condensation by the blower motor under the dash. Not sure how that being frozen over would make the clicking noise? I'm going to try to get it to do it again today and take it to the dealer while its doing it and I will also crawl under the truck and look for ice. I hope its something simple...I have a 5 hour trip Thursday and if I have no A/C I'm gonna be pissed.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:20 PM

Slight update:

My A/C finally just quit blowing cold air. While looking around I noticed the recirc door actuator would work for a few minutes after turning the truck on but would then quit. It would either not lock all the way into position or would just not move at all. I think this is the clicking noise I heard.

Another trip to the dealer....They found that the evaporator core was/is leaking. I'm guessing that it was freezing up before it all leaked out, hence the low air flow after a while. While they are in there he is going to replace the actuators. Right now my A/C is working but only temporary until they get the part in and installed. Been waiting over 2 weeks so far.