DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:83
SFVDOC will become famous soon enough

What Pitch said, go practice on a quiet road. The time to learn is not when you have a load in the bed and in traffic.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:16 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:159
CaptDuff has a spectacular aura aboutCaptDuff has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Hemi Pride View Post
The bak flip is a quad flip and completely flips up against the back window and covers it fully.
This is what it looks like..
http://www.bakflip-tonneau.com/images/features/4bg.jpg
Hell I would never use that. Looks almost as annoying as a fiberglass cover that usually always ends up in your way or making the bed useless.

Quote:
Rear view camera for the trailer is a good idea.. Seeing as we are delivering and towing different RV's every day.. Would be a big hassle to mount and set up a camera for each one.. But our trucks have towing mirrors and such too.
They do make wireless ones where the camera has a magnetic mount so you can remove it from trailer to trailer. See them on ebay all the time.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:52 PM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 4x4 Crew-Cab
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black over Grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:31
Hardware is on a distinguished road

I have a Bakflip F1 and this hasn't been an issue at all for me.

That said, I had a Raider cap on my last truck so rearward visibility was usually impaired (no wiper or washer on the rear glass).

Any time I've driven with the F1 folded up to the window the bed was filled with large enough object(s) that there was no real vis through the rear window anyway.

Remember too that you can fold the cover up all the way except for the last fold and leave the panels laying flat on the leading folding panel if cargo size permits that. I did a long trip (700+ kms) with a snowblower and mower on board and was able to do that. I just secured the panels with bungee cords - no issues whatsoever. It also allowed me to see the handlebars of both implements and visually check on the fly that everything was staying put (they were well secured with multiple ratchet straps anyway).

I have a factory back-up camera and trailer mirrors which also makes life pretty easy! LOL
MODS: BAKFlip F1; Head Rack; WeatherTech mud-flaps, vent visors & bug deflector; Cabella's rear seat cover; cabin air filter; Geno's Grill Quick Release Kit, PIAA Xtreme headlamps (Highs, Lows and Foglamps), WeatherTech DigitalFit Floorliners.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:51 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Color: Black
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

I never thought about having to tie down the panels when driving at highway speeds? Do you tie them down "just in case" or do they actually flip up?

Still I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the F1.

I'm more worried about my wife than I am myself. I think I will put some cardboard up against the back window and have her practice a bit first. Lol
Old 06-09-2013, 10:29 AM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 4x4 Crew-Cab
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black over Grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:31
Hardware is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSmart View Post
I never thought about having to tie down the panels when driving at highway speeds? Do you tie them down "just in case" or do they actually flip up?

Still I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the F1.

I'm more worried about my wife than I am myself. I think I will put some cardboard up against the back window and have her practice a bit first. Lol
When the panels are braced up against the cab no bungees are needed.

When the panels are folded up except for the last "flip" (leaving the rear window unobstructed) I've used bungees. I've always done it just in case - it makes sense that the low pressure pocket of air behind the cab might cause them to lift enough to start catching fast flowing air from the sides.

I've never experimented by doing highway speeds without bungees in place as I didn't want to have the panels flip back in the wind and hit cargo (the only reason to drive with them partially open).

How often do you anticipate your wife driving with tall cargo requiring the cover open all the way to the vertical position against the window?

If it's going to be that frequent, then maybe look at getting a rolling shutter type of cover - otherwise I suspect you're over-thinking this.
MODS: BAKFlip F1; Head Rack; WeatherTech mud-flaps, vent visors & bug deflector; Cabella's rear seat cover; cabin air filter; Geno's Grill Quick Release Kit, PIAA Xtreme headlamps (Highs, Lows and Foglamps), WeatherTech DigitalFit Floorliners.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:33 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3872
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDuff View Post
Hell I would never use that. Looks almost as annoying as a fiberglass cover that usually always ends up in your way or making the bed useless.
What?!?

Grub out!
Old 06-09-2013, 11:16 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Color: Black
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
When the panels are braced up against the cab no bungees are needed.

When the panels are folded up except for the last "flip" (leaving the rear window unobstructed) I've used bungees. I've always done it just in case - it makes sense that the low pressure pocket of air behind the cab might cause them to lift enough to start catching fast flowing air from the sides.

I've never experimented by doing highway speeds without bungees in place as I didn't want to have the panels flip back in the wind and hit cargo (the only reason to drive with them partially open).

How often do you anticipate your wife driving with tall cargo requiring the cover open all the way to the vertical position against the window?

If it's going to be that frequent, then maybe look at getting a rolling shutter type of cover - otherwise I suspect you're over-thinking this.
Yep I think you are right too!

I worry about her because she makes me worry about her, but in the end it's really not going to happen all that often.

Mainly trips to the dump would be done without me, anything else or long trips she wouldn't do without me anyway, so I think you're right.

Bring on the Bakflip F1. LOL.....