DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Big Horn vs. Outdoorsman

32K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  DrCrash 
#1 ·
Ram seems to have really invented a confusing way to configure their trucks. I've looked at 100 window stickers online and my head is spinning.

I'm looking to buy a V6 8 speed decently loaded - I thought that forced me to go for the SLT with a Big Horn package, which my preferred configuration seems to be:
- V6 SLT
- Big Horn package (22G)
- Remote Start & Security Package
- Luxury Group (Auto dimming exterior mirrors, garage door opener, bunch of lamps)
- Uconnect 8.4 upgrade ($505???)

Now I am seeing a ton of Outdoorsman configured trucks with all of the above built into the Outdoorsman package (22T).

If I have this right:
Big Horn = chrome grill and choice of bench or bucket seats (+$250)
Outdoorsman = painted grill and forced bucket seats

I'm looking for a "city truck". I don't hunt, fish or go off road - or tow for that matter. The only negative I see with the Outdoorsman is that I think I would prefer the six passenger seating, but it is not a deal breaker. Are there any other differences I am missing that would make an Outdoorsman a poor (or better) choice for trips to Home Depot and the occasional couch move?

See less See more
#2 ·
The outdoors man is more for hunting and fishing type stuff. It's for the outdoorsmen out there. Lol. It comes with rubber floor mats, 3.92 gears, slightly higher ride height, and things like that. If I had to choose between a big horn and outdoorsman with identical features and prices I would pick outdoorsman just because I'm not a big fan of the chrome bumpers.

#3 ·
Outdoorsman comes with chrome bumpers. You can pick a bench or buckets in it. I got a 2 wheel drive one. I liked the looks and the features, but didn't want 4wd. 2wd outdoorsman do not come with 3.91's but it can be selected. It also does not come stock with a 8.4 touch screen like some say on this site but it can be upgraded to it. I custom ordered mine, it's been awesome so far and doesn't look like all the other rams on the road.

#6 ·
From the stickers I am looking at, both trims start out as a SLT with one of two trim packages added.

Outdoorsman sticker.

Big Horn Sticker

Both come with 3.21 gears standard, but most seem to get upgraded to 3.55. No mention of different suspensions or anything else. They really look like the same truck, just with different combinations of options. Looks like color matched bumpers only come with two tone paint jobs, which don't seem to be common on dealer lots.

Since I'm still confused, probably time to have a beer.

#9 ·
OK, I've analyzed a little more, but both trucks seem to be different versions of a SLT.

Outdoorsman is the same as a BH except 17" wheels, bucket seats, skid plate and anti-spin diff standard (along with lack of chrome).

Big Horn plus Remote Start and Luxury packages and optional upgrade to Uconnect 8.4 from 5.0 is the same as an Outdoorsman except 20" wheels standard, skid plate and anti-spin diff optional, bench seat standard.

I've seen several BHs with the 20" tires deleted and the bucket seats and anti-spin diff added, so it looks like you can equip a BH as an Outdoorsman and vice-versa.

Unless there is a different ultra stiff off-road suspension or other differences on the Outdoorsman, it appears to open up both trims to my specifications. If available I would pick the bench seat, but it seems dealers add the buckets to the BH when they start adding the other luxury options.

#10 ·
at one time i believed that that one of the differences was that the BigHorn came with Auto 4WD and the outdoorsman did not.

but after seeing pictures, i'm not so sure.

that may or may not be important to you, it was to me and lead to wanting a Bighorn. But like i said now i'm confused.

#11 ·
This is info I took from costoauto.com

22T OUTDOORSMAN CUSTOMER PREFERRED ORDER SELECTION PKG [+]
-inc: 3.6L V6 engine, 8-speed auto trans, anti-spin differential rear axle, front suspension skid plate, transfer case skid plate, accent fender flares, black door handles, body-color grille, painted front bumper, painted rear bumper, class IV receiver hitch, tow hooks, extra HD rear shock absorbers, fog lamps, pwr folding exterior mirrors, heated pwr mirrors, black exterior mirror caps, mirrors w/supplemental turn signals, mirror courtesy lamps, auto-dimming exterior mirrors, two-tone lower paint, LT265/70R17E on/off road OWL tires, (32) gallon fuel tank, premium cloth bucket seats, 10-way pwr driver seat, pwr lumbar, full length center console, 60/40 split-fold rear bench seat, fold-flat load floor storage, leather-wrapped steering wheel, Uconnect 8.4A w/AM/FM stereo, 8.4" touch screen, navigation ready, Uconnect Access advantage w/6-month trial subscription, Uconnect hands-free communication w/voice command, remote USB charging port, remote SD card slot, steering wheel audio controls, overhead console, universal garage door opener, sunvisors w/illuminated vanity mirrors, luxury group, remote start & security group, protection group, 115V aux pwr outlet, ash tray lamp, glove box lamp, rear dome lamp w/on/off switch, underhood lamp, remote start, security alarm, front/rear rubber floor mats, electroluminescent instrument cluster

#12 · (Edited)
Playing around with NADA, I can configure a SLT with the Bighorn package exactly the same as an Outdoorsman, with the exception of the chrome grill on the SLT/BH. Trying to start with the Big Horn trim level forced the Hemi and would not allow for the V6.

Here is the pricing (Edited to attach screenshots for formatting).

From what I can figure out, you give up the skid plate and $1190 (MSRP) to get the chrome grill of the SLT BH. You can save $500 of that by selecting chrome clad Al wheels in the SLT, but I left it 17" Aluminum to remain consistent. Looks like a pretty good savings by bundling everything into the Outdoorsman package instead of all of the add-on packages of the SLT.

Attachments

#13 ·
Trying to start with the Big Horn trim level forced the Hemi and would not allow for the V6.
You can still do the Big Horn with the V6 on some sites, but you have to select "Big Horn Equipment Group". With that, you get the 17" wheels and single exhaust.

#14 ·
I did a little window shopping while the dealer was closed today. Came across a Quad Outdorrsman 4x4 with the V6. It had rescue hooks, which was not noted anywhere on the sticker. There was no Big Horn on the lot to compare that to. It also had a bench seat with a $250 discount on the sticker. 20" wheels were added on for $1400 - not an option I'm really worried about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.