DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-09-2013, 12:12 AM
MOPAR or no Car

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Black / Gold
Rep:145
madhatr02 will become famous soon enoughmadhatr02 will become famous soon enough

Make sure you are checking the right information. Several people have told you to check your payload capacity of the truck. Payload capacity and tow rating are 2 completely different things.

The payload is what can be carried IN the truck NOT what can be pulled behind it. The rear coils have less capacity as to the weight they can directly support on top of them. Pulling a load that weight is supported by the trailer axles.

Every truck is different so check several different sources. Hemi with 3:92 depending on what cab you have, box length etc "tends" to be around 9K towing capacity but can be upwards of 10K.

There is a lot of BAD information in this thread FYI.

2013 Laramie Longhorn
aka "The Enterprise"

Last edited by madhatr02; 06-09-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:18 AM
MOPAR or no Car

madhatr02 will become famous soon enoughmadhatr02 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4s View Post
Yep, like Explorer Rob says, check out the payload capacity sticker inside your door jamb. 99% of the time payload capacity is the limiting factor when trying to figure out what you can tow in the real world. Yours being an Outdoorsman is probably not too bad. 1300lbs maybe? Not sure. In any case, work the numbers backwards from payload and more than likely all the other values (GCWR, GVWR etc) will all be well under the max.
:

Don't know c4s but this is an example of what I mean you guys are talking about GVWR that has to do with the truck itself NOT towing. My Ram has max payload of 985lbs, it's tow rating is 9600.

Don't think people would be buying 50K pickups if they could only tow 1300lbs.

2013 Laramie Longhorn
aka "The Enterprise"
Old 06-09-2013, 04:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
pitch1 is on a distinguished road

I tow a 24 ft tt with my 2013 1500 QC Express. My trailer is 5000# fully loaded. Tow rating 8700# Cargo capacity is any thing on or in the truck other than full fluids and a 150# DRIVER.
You will need a Weight distributing hitch, no way around it. Not a Ram thing, all 1/2 tons need them.
Air bags do not at all perform the same function, with bags all the tongue weight is still only on your rear axle and the area behind the axle. Looks pretty but really no function. WDH does exactly what it says, distributes the weight along the whole chassis,which not only eliminates sag,but returns weight to the front axle. Makes for an incredibly stable towing platform. With a trailer that long you will also need sway control.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
c4s is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatr02 View Post
Don't know c4s but this is an example of what I mean you guys are talking about GVWR that has to do with the truck itself NOT towing. My Ram has max payload of 985lbs, it's tow rating is 9600.

Don't think people would be buying 50K pickups if they could only tow 1300lbs.
Sorry but this has been beaten to death on this forum and countless others. Go to some of the RV forums and do some research if you don't agree with me. You'll soon come to realize how important payload is. 9 times out of 10 you'll max out on payload long before you max out on tow ratings.

Think about it. You want 10-15% of your trailers weight on your truck. Most guys try to aim for around 12%. Let's assume you've got a 9000lb trailer (wet weight) behind you. That means you'll want close to 1100lbs on the tongue. That 1100 lbs is payload! You're already over your trucks limits and that is without any passengers, fire wood, dogs, bikes and whatever else a person might normally take with them when camping.

Even using your 9600lb rating above and setting it up so that only 10% is on the ball you've got 15lbs of payload left ...
Old 06-10-2013, 01:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black Gold / White Gold
Rep:256
Explorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the rough

And the 985 lbs. of payload DOES NOT INCLUDE THE DRIVER. From my 2013 OM "The GVWR is the total permissible weight of your vehicle including driver, passengers, vehicle, options and cargo. The label also specifies maximum capacities of front and rear axle systems (GAWR). Total load must be limited so GVWR and front and rear GAWR are not exceeded. The payload of a vehicle is defined as the allowable load weight a truck can carry, including the weight of the driver, all passengers, options and cargo." Note: the only figure that Ram factors in 150 lbs. for the driver is the GCWR (Gross Combination Weight Rating). "The GCWR is the total permissible weight of your vehicle and trailer when weighed in combination. NOTE: The GCWR rating includes a 150 lbs (68 kg) allowance for the presence of a driver."

Using the 985 cargo capacity as an example and my weight of 185 lbs. I have 800 lbs. left that can be loaded on the Ram. Allowing for 12% hitch weigh, that means the Ram could tow a maximum of 6,667 lbs. with a hitch weight of 800 lbs. That is a significant amount less than the 10,000 lbs. the dealer may have told you that you could tow. If you carry passengers or anything in the bed your numbers will be lower. Sure you could tow 10,000 lbs. if you controlled your Ram by remote control and kept the hitch weight to less than 10 %.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:53 AM
MOPAR or no Car

I agree 100%.
Nope the 985 is before you put a soda can in the truck.

My 2 points were quite clear I thought but I will rehash.

A. Payload is not towing capacity (never said they didn't effect each other but they are not the same as a few people said.

B. His towing capacity is not 1300 lbs as stated by c4s

2013 Laramie Longhorn
aka "The Enterprise"
Old 06-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatr02 View Post
I agree 100%.
Nope the 985 is before you put a soda can in the truck.

My 2 points were quite clear I thought but I will rehash.

A. Payload is not towing capacity (never said they didn't effect each other but they are not the same as a few people said.

B. His towing capacity is not 1300 lbs as stated by c4s

Re-read my post. I was referring to what I would guesstimate the payload was of his Outdoorsman. I didn't say his towing capacity was 1300lbs ...

"99% of the time payload capacity is the limiting factor when trying to figure out what you can tow in the real world. Yours being an Outdoorsman is probably not too bad. 1300lbs maybe"
Old 06-10-2013, 09:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer Rob View Post
And the 985 lbs. of payload DOES NOT INCLUDE THE DRIVER. From my 2013 OM "The GVWR is the total permissible weight of your vehicle including driver, passengers, vehicle, options and cargo. The label also specifies maximum capacities of front and rear axle systems (GAWR). Total load must be limited so GVWR and front and rear GAWR are not exceeded. The payload of a vehicle is defined as the allowable load weight a truck can carry, including the weight of the driver, all passengers, options and cargo." Note: the only figure that Ram factors in 150 lbs. for the driver is the GCWR (Gross Combination Weight Rating). "The GCWR is the total permissible weight of your vehicle and trailer when weighed in combination. NOTE: The GCWR rating includes a 150 lbs (68 kg) allowance for the presence of a driver."

Using the 985 cargo capacity as an example and my weight of 185 lbs. I have 800 lbs. left that can be loaded on the Ram. Allowing for 12% hitch weigh, that means the Ram could tow a maximum of 6,667 lbs. with a hitch weight of 800 lbs. That is a significant amount less than the 10,000 lbs. the dealer may have told you that you could tow. If you carry passengers or anything in the bed your numbers will be lower. Sure you could tow 10,000 lbs. if you controlled your Ram by remote control and kept the hitch weight to less than 10 %.
Agreed! The only thing I'd add is that I think you can sometimes get away with a little less tongue weight when towing a boat. I think that must be what the manufacturer's are using when they come up with these crazy tow ratings? Because of the shape they are less susceptible to sway when compared to a box shaped travel trailer so you don't need to transfer as much weight to the truck in order for it to track down the road straight.

I won't pretend to be a boat towing expert though so those folks would have better knowledge than I when it comes to that!
Old 06-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 1500, CC/6'4", Hemi/8 spd
Color: Flame Red
Rep:352
DAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really nice

The tow/haul capacities on the Ram 1500's are pathetic. It just is what it is. I don't think people are buying them with much towing or hauling in mind. No way would I have bought one to do any kind of even semi-heavy towing or hauling on even a semi-regular basis. They ride really nice. They don't tow or haul worth a crap. Not compared to the competing half tons. But I wouldn't have ever bought ANY half ton to tow or haul anything substantial very often. That's what 2500 and 3500's are for...

- DAA