DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 12 Ram 1500 Bighorn SLT
Trim Level: Big Horn SLT
Color: molten red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:29
02325 is on a distinguished road

currently I am running 91 in my 12. Don't know what the dealer put in it when I bought it. But for the most part, I have always run 89 in al my vehicles except my 01 WS6.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
Doooh! I did indeed miss read it, that is what posting after a bicycle ride in 110 degrees will do for ya! Sorry about that.
Meh, no big deal.

Thanks anyway.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:43 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:12
Inferno10 is on a distinguished road

I have run both 87 and 89 in my truck with not much of a noticeable difference in either mileage or performance. I just run 87 in it.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:54 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Just tooling around locally I run 87. Long trips or towing then I'll use '89.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:40 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:632
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandchef View Post
Just tooling around locally I run 87. Long trips or towing then I'll use '89.
do you see a difference between the two?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2549
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
I am curious as well. My last vehicle specified 87 octane, except when towing or carrying heavy loads where it specified 91 octane. Under normal driving conditions it performed well with 87, but the one time I towed with 87 it was sluggish. With 91 it performed better.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:17 PM

Vehicle: 2012 dodge Ram Bighorn
Trim Level: big horn 4x4
Color: white
Rep:10
whiteknight312 is on a distinguished road

depends on the compression of the engine as to what octane to use also. higher compression you need higher octane. Also, if you have carbon buildup on the pistons over time. you'll ping and need higher octane gas, its artificial higher compression. I use BG 44K every 25,000 miles in all the vehicles and that stuff actually removes the carbon.

my uncle did tests on this stuff. used it on a 100,000 mile Nissan motor. pulled the plugs and used a fiber optic camera to see the tops of the pistons. ran 2 tanks of 93 octane and BG 44K in both tanks. all the carbon was gone! you could see the circle imprints and #'s on top of the piston like new!

regular injector cleaner is just snake oil. BG can only be bought at dealers also.

Chris
Old 06-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2549
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteknight312 View Post
depends on the compression of the engine as to what octane to use also. higher compression you need higher octane. Also, if you have carbon buildup on the pistons over time. you'll ping and need higher octane gas, its artificial higher compression. I use BG 44K every 25,000 miles in all the vehicles and that stuff actually removes the carbon.

my uncle did tests on this stuff. used it on a 100,000 mile Nissan motor. pulled the plugs and used a fiber optic camera to see the tops of the pistons. ran 2 tanks of 93 octane and BG 44K in both tanks. all the carbon was gone! you could see the circle imprints and #'s on top of the piston like new!

regular injector cleaner is just snake oil. BG can only be bought at dealers also.

Chris
Yes BG 44K is good stuff, it really cleared up a very rough running motor I had years ago, made a huge difference. I thought I was told it was only available to service shops, is that not the case?
Old 06-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
I am curious as well. My last vehicle specified 87 octane, except when towing or carrying heavy loads where it specified 91 octane. Under normal driving conditions it performed well with 87, but the one time I towed with 87 it was sluggish. With 91 it performed better.
Around town I haven't seen a difference in performance or mpg (either perceived or empirical) which is why I run 87. Granted I'm fairly easy on the right pedal in town so there might be a different result if you'e driving style is different than mine. On the highway, and particularly when towing, IMHO, there seems to be a perceptible difference in performance with the 89. On tanks I judge as truly 89 vs 87 (in other words not mixed) I believe the truck runs better. I also find slightly better gas mileage from the 89 when towing. From my log it ends up around 1/2 mile per gallon. Not much and definitely within a possible error, but the difference is consistent over time.

The exception to the above is when I've been able to find real gas (no ethanol). Even at 87 octane the truck runs better and the mpg increase over the either the usual E10 at 87 or 89.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 06-12-2013, 05:34 AM
MOPAR or no Car

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 HD
Color: Red
Engine: 2014-20?? 392ci (6.4L) Hemi V8 410hp 429lb/ft
Rep:145
madhatr02 will become famous soon enoughmadhatr02 will become famous soon enough

I don't think there really is a wrong answer. The engine will run fine on 87. I love that wording is something similiar to " for optimal performance run 89".......what the heck does that mean. if running 89 got you .001 mpg better you could say see you need to run 89 for "optimal" performance.

That being said I seem to run mine opposite of everyone else. If I know a tank of gas is gonna last me several days and I may be around town, in stop and go traffic or idling for a while, or going back to work and such which is normal for me I run 89. Just figure in the Texas heat anything that may help the engine I want.

However on long road trips where I know I am just going to be burning fuel, like hunting trips or family trips, where a tank or 2 a day is normal I just use 87 octane because the engine is just cruising down the road.

Again doubt there is a wrong answer just my $0.02

2014 2500 HD
aka "Big Red"