DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4362
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codaf600 View Post
I was wondering how everybody's tailgate lock functions. Are you able to lock the tailgate with the key fob and then immediately unlock it with the fob? I have to put my key back in the ignition before the tailgate can be unlocked with the fob. Is this normal function or did dodge install incorrectly? I would greatly appreciate any help.

That's weird, I can unlock it , lock it also from the FOB, any amount of times I want. Something not normal there, not sure what though?
Old 06-11-2012, 05:10 PM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 Mega 4x4 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:73
Bikenut will become famous soon enough

me too. It's just another passenger door as far as the system knows.

Retro-Soutions 55W HIDs - Firestone 5K Airbags -
18" Magnaflow - integrated electric tailgate lock and EZ-Down kit - Cabin air filter retrofit - $79 Catch Can - KORE leveling kit and Bilsteins front and rear
Old 06-12-2012, 12:03 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Tequila Sunrise Pearl
Rep:75
quills will become famous soon enough

I had my dealer install this and it works perfect.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:42 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Trim Level: SRT8
Color: Black
Rep:59
12sport will become famous soon enough

I just finished installing the Mopar kit - and it was even fairly painless!

Rather than playing guessing games with the wiring under the TIPM (and risking expensive mistakes), I just spliced the wires to the rear-driver's side door. (tan/orange & tan/purple in this case). Heck of a lot easier than playing in the wire jungle that is the TIPM!
Old 05-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram
Rep:10
lizongbin is on a distinguished road

i did, it take me 3 hours...
Old 06-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Blk
Ramsgotjam is on a distinguished road

Def go with mopar. I wired mine up yesterday and works great! No delay with the cab doors, little tricky following the camera wiring back to the fuse panel. Mine turned out to be in two different fuse blocks. Tan orange/tan purple. Open rear drivers door panel if stumped. Took about 3 hours. It was my first time and was raining. Don't let dealer charge more than 2 hours. Remember to leave quick connect in bedrail if you ever want to take off the tailgate. Wiring was numbers 18 and 22 infuse harness. All in all pretty sweet and you won't have to worry about keys scratching tailgate anymore.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:02 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 4X4 Crew CAb
Trim Level: LoneStar Rambox
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:74
ghorn will become famous soon enough

I shopped on Ebay and found the genuine Mopar tailgate kit for sale at $119, and the ad further pointed out that since the seller was a genuine Dodge/Ram dealer (Freedom in south Dallas, Duncanville area) they would install any part bought from them for FREE.
I called them direct, and confirmed it, and that since it was genuine Mopar and installed by a dealer...it would be fully warranted along with the entire vehicle warranty. It took them about 2 hours, and I enjoyed free coffee and sausage breakfast biscuits while watching their TV.

The instructions were left with me afterward, which indicated the installer had to do a little figuring on a change of wire color coding, but the unit basically connects to the fuse box by the battery and is triggered by the right rear pax door locks. (I have a Crew Cab.)

I love it. Works great. (Although if I'd done this work myself I'd have been a bit neater on the cable-routing and kept it completely inside the frame rails instead of taking a short cut across the top of the spare tire...so I re-routed it when I got it home.)
Old 12-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 CNG BiFuel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
ryanhoelzer is on a distinguished road

I just had Freedom install the tailgate lock and remote start in mine. They actually have a tech that works for the parts department and they don't go through the service department. They did good work on mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorn View Post
I shopped on Ebay and found the genuine Mopar tailgate kit for sale at $119, and the ad further pointed out that since the seller was a genuine Dodge/Ram dealer (Freedom in south Dallas, Duncanville area) they would install any part bought from them for FREE.
I called them direct, and confirmed it, and that since it was genuine Mopar and installed by a dealer...it would be fully warranted along with the entire vehicle warranty. It took them about 2 hours, and I enjoyed free coffee and sausage breakfast biscuits while watching their TV.

The instructions were left with me afterward, which indicated the installer had to do a little figuring on a change of wire color coding, but the unit basically connects to the fuse box by the battery and is triggered by the right rear pax door locks. (I have a Crew Cab.)

I love it. Works great. (Although if I'd done this work myself I'd have been a bit neater on the cable-routing and kept it completely inside the frame rails instead of taking a short cut across the top of the spare tire...so I re-routed it when I got it home.)
Old 01-17-2014, 12:33 AM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: SPORT
jimwww is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to jimwww

I wondered about this.. if my tailgate on my 2012 was supposed to be power or not with the locking of the doors. I guess it is manual only with mine.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:37 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Sagebrush
Rep:87
kkreit01 will become famous soon enough

I really wanted this accessory at one point. However, I have since come across an instance where I was glad it had a manual lock. It you take your truck to a shop -- while you have valuables in the box, it's nice to be able to lock the tailgate with the key, and simply give them the FOB for driving. This probably won't happen often, and is only helpful if you also have a locking tonneau or topper.