DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: R/T
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:36
C to the J is on a distinguished road
Default Ozone smell from A/C

After about 10-15 minutes of driving with the A/C on, it will all of a sudden smell like ozone (the smell just before it rains).

Anybody else notice this or know what causes it?
Sponsored links
Old 06-11-2013, 04:21 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Technically there is nothing in your AC that can produce ozone so the smell is something else, now that being said, acids and microbes can produce a similar smell, plastics that are heated also. Its possible that its new plastic that smells like this as it evaporates the chemicals that where used in the manufacturing of your AC components or others components in your truck, usually molding release agents and these smells are usually during the first 6 months and when the cabin begins to get hot in the sun. You can precipitate this evaporation by putting your truck face to the sun to heat the interior and crack open the windows to get that smell out of the truck. You might want to do the Cabin air filter thing and get a carbon filter to help with filtering the air coming in the cabin, these truck do not have cabin air filters. Also it could be something like leave or other foreign objects that are stuck in your AC unit that are rotting, Clean out and Air filter can help with that, Also the air filter will keep your inside of the truck clean.

Last edited by Asur; 06-11-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:51 PM

Thanks, I had planned on ordering my cabin air filter this weekend.

I'm thinking its got to be the new plastic making the smell then; once the truck gets nice and warm. I just wish it would smell like that all the time, I like it!
Old 06-11-2013, 05:10 PM

Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:29
Brandon .30-06 is on a distinguished road

Not being a smart a-- but has your wife put an air freshener thing in your truck? I had one truck once that everytime the A/C came on you would smell a like burnt cookies smell, so i took the glove box out and sure enough shoved in behind it was an air freshener thingy that said it was supposed to smell like chocolate chip cookies. the best part was telling the customer what the problem was. I was a nice guy tho and didnt charge him any labour for it.

Brandon
Level 4 Chrysler/ Ram TECH
Old 06-11-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon .30-06 View Post
Not being a smart a-- but has your wife put an air freshener thing in your truck? I had one truck once that everytime the A/C came on you would smell a like burnt cookies smell, so i took the glove box out and sure enough shoved in behind it was an air freshener thingy that said it was supposed to smell like chocolate chip cookies. the best part was telling the customer what the problem was. I was a nice guy tho and didnt charge him any labour for it.

Brandon
Level 4 Chrysler/ Ram TECH
Nope, my wife knows she's not allowed to do anything to my truck.
Thanks though!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:08 PM

Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by C to the J View Post
Thanks, I had planned on ordering my cabin air filter this weekend.

I'm thinking its got to be the new plastic making the smell then; once the truck gets nice and warm. I just wish it would smell like that all the time, I like it!

Ya I like the smell of Ozone in the morning also lol, just before and after a thunder storm
Old 06-11-2013, 10:19 PM

Vehicle: RAM
Rep:33
Copperhead Ram is on a distinguished road

If you don't like the smell, just stuff some fried chicken in the air vents... it's a cheap mod.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:23 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram RT
Trim Level: RT
Color: Steel Blue Metallic
Rep:136
ValleyRacer will become famous soon enoughValleyRacer will become famous soon enough
Default Outside air oozing through

Quote:
Originally Posted by C to the J View Post
After about 10-15 minutes of driving with the A/C on, it will all of a sudden smell like ozone (the smell just before it rains).

Anybody else notice this or know what causes it?
The smell, you smell, is the tree dust, road grime, pollen, molds, spores and "stuff" from the outside getting cold and moist and coming in.
The AC system and the coolant gas is completely sealed.
Your nose smells it at certain temperatures. The partial solution is the cabin air filter.
If the smell persists, on a HOT day, with the AC off, with all the doors open, truck running, turn on the heater to full hot fan on full, spray a little LYSOL where the air comes in from the heater cowl. Let the Lysol clean up your air vents. THEN install the cabin filter. My NEON parked outside gets so much tree sap, pollen, spores, dust, mold and grass dust there is often a GREEN dust all over the car.
It smells like lawn mower grass. The Lysol works really well, be careful to just mist it in
Old 06-13-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyRacer View Post
The smell, you smell, is the tree dust, road grime, pollen, molds, spores and "stuff" from the outside getting cold and moist and coming in.
The AC system and the coolant gas is completely sealed.
Your nose smells it at certain temperatures. The partial solution is the cabin air filter.
If the smell persists, on a HOT day, with the AC off, with all the doors open, truck running, turn on the heater to full hot fan on full, spray a little LYSOL where the air comes in from the heater cowl. Let the Lysol clean up your air vents. THEN install the cabin filter. My NEON parked outside gets so much tree sap, pollen, spores, dust, mold and grass dust there is often a GREEN dust all over the car.
It smells like lawn mower grass. The Lysol works really well, be careful to just mist it in
Ahh! Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense!
I've got to get that cabin air filter ordered soon.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:42 PM

before you install your kit, run a bottle of this it will clean up any crap that might be molding in there.

http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-...freshener.html