DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:12
dewzram is on a distinguished road
Default Intermittent Stalling - Split Second

Hello -

I've had my Ram, which is a 2000 1500 QC 4x4 with the 5.9L and for the past 3 years (since I've owned it) I've had a slight intermittent stall. It is very random when it occurs, sometimes not at all, or sometimes 5 times a day. can happen at idle, or while driving 75 mph. It will stall for a split second, the RPM's cut out and then as quick as it does it, it comes back like nothing happened. It'd never killed or stalled itself out, but this stall on the highway can be a bit alarming and startling if it hasn't occurred in a while. I've replaced plugs, cap, wires, and rotor twice now and spent hours routing plug wires so they are not touching at any point, still hasn't done a thing for this miss or stall. I've replaced an 02 sensor a while back that threw a code. I'm not experiencing severe oil consumption or pinging. Just curiuos as to what my top culprets could be at this point? Seems like most likely could be vacuume leak of some sort or fuel delivery/management issue right? Intake Gasket possibly? Or Fuel Pump/filter issue, or relay possibly? I'm just kinda at a loss since It's never thrown a code or left me stranded, so been very hard to pinpoint and fix.

Any thoughts or suggestions from those that have had the issues, will be much appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 06-06-2013, 10:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

Quite aggravating when climbing a hill, especially with a trailer, isn't it!! I have the same problem with my 02 v-8 explorer, the fixit guy that I use tells me it's the crank sensor, probably with a hairline crack? I haven't yet gotten around to taking his suggestion and changing it to test his theory. Years ago, this same thing was going on with another buggy of mine, and it was a bad bonding wire to the frame from the engine, seems all that iron bolted together sometimes isn't enough for the ignition to work quite right, all the time. Just my two cents...
Old 06-07-2013, 01:05 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Ram ORE 4x4 5.9L
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: White
Rep:55
Wh1t3nukle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewzram View Post
Hello -

I've had my Ram, which is a 2000 1500 QC 4x4 with the 5.9L and for the past 3 years (since I've owned it) I've had a slight intermittent stall. It is very random when it occurs, sometimes not at all, or sometimes 5 times a day. can happen at idle, or while driving 75 mph. It will stall for a split second, the RPM's cut out and then as quick as it does it, it comes back like nothing happened. It'd never killed or stalled itself out, but this stall on the highway can be a bit alarming and startling if it hasn't occurred in a while. I've replaced plugs, cap, wires, and rotor twice now and spent hours routing plug wires so they are not touching at any point, still hasn't done a thing for this miss or stall. I've replaced an 02 sensor a while back that threw a code. I'm not experiencing severe oil consumption or pinging. Just curiuos as to what my top culprets could be at this point? Seems like most likely could be vacuume leak of some sort or fuel delivery/management issue right? Intake Gasket possibly? Or Fuel Pump/filter issue, or relay possibly? I'm just kinda at a loss since It's never thrown a code or left me stranded, so been very hard to pinpoint and fix.

Any thoughts or suggestions from those that have had the issues, will be much appreciated! Thanks!
Sorry I didn't see your thread till now.

I think you are on the right track. Fuel pressure (check at the fuel rail schrader valve) should be b/t 45-49 psi.

Yes, track down any vacuum leaks. Find all the lines. Does your HVAC work fine? If not then that confirms a vac issue of some degree. I mean running A/C and it does not stay cold or defroster setting is always operating.

Check all your fuses. Pull them out and look.

The next things could be crank position sensor (unlikely though w/o more info) and/or cam position sensor (located on the underside of dizzy).
Old 06-07-2013, 11:42 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Yellow + Black
Rep:10
98rumblebee is on a distinguished road

Yeah I know a guy who had the same sort of problem, it was the fuel line that was bad. But that one would stall completely and need to be restarted...
Old 06-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Is tired of the BS too

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Your description sounds like you're actually saying it's heart skips a beat, if that's an accurate example.

I'd check the plug at the coil in addition to the other suggestions.

I don't want you to have a laundry list of things to consider but it seems there are some very valid posts so far.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:51 PM

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: WS
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:103
panhead will become famous soon enoughpanhead will become famous soon enough

I put my money on the CPS, highly known to cause a problem like this.

I am completely disgusted every time I think about having to take a distributor cap off of one of these trucks -Screamintrashcan
Old 11-11-2013, 05:34 PM

Default Ooops!

Sorry for the late replay guys, for some reason I thought I'd already responded but apparently never did, so my apologies.

I still have not found the cause of this issue. I did try fuses and vacuum lines, but found nothing wrong there. I did want to mention my cruise does not work and has never worked since I've owned the truck. The "Cruise" light will not even come on, so I'd say it has to either be switch or vacuum leak possibly right? Not saying it's related to my "stall" issue, but if it ends up being vacuum, I guess it could be related. I have no issues with HVAC system at all, air blows ice cold and heat blows hot, no blend door issues either.

I just hate that it won't throw a check engine light for this. Anyway, thanks for the help and I'll start in on this and see if I can't find the culpret.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Is tired of the BS too

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Panhead makes a valid point...but I pondered this awhile ago and was thinking that I'd check the body ground on the back of the engine to the firewall.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock III View Post
Panhead makes a valid point...but I pondered this awhile ago and was thinking that I'd check the body ground on the back of the engine to the firewall.
Thanks Warlock! I'll certainly check that ground as well since I haven't examined that yet. I'm going to just buy a CPS since they are only about $45 at Autozone and just see if I get lucky.