DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1900
gonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant future
Default Seeing a lot of people selling their tuners...why

So recently I've seen quite a few posts about people selling their tuners. Some have even said it just wasn't worth it to them and they weren't getting what they wanted out of it.

Where as there are plenty of guys who say they would never drive their truck without it.

What's the dealio? Seein a lot of trinity's for sale by owner. what do ya'll think?
JVC Arsenal KD, Bilstein 5100 adjustables [maxed], aFe Stage 2 Air Intake, Superchips 3865, Husky Floor Mats, Saddleman Camo Seat Covers, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler SI/DO, 20 % Tint. 35x12.5x17 Federal Couragia M/T, 17x8.5 VTEC Warlord wheels, -12mm offest.
Sponsored links
Old 06-12-2013, 08:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:53
AcadianRam will become famous soon enough

To me I guess it's all about what were you expecting to get out of the tuner. What I wanted was the ability to turn off traction control when I wanted it, change my shift points a bit and increase my throttle response . Take out the top speed limiter and increase the rev limiter. I knew what came with my trinity was what they call a canned tune but I would need to get an engine and transmission custom tune to fine tune it the best it could get.

What I really would like is to burn the tires off the truck and have that feeling I had back in the late 60's and early 70's but it's not going to happen unless I put a new 4 or 5 speed overdrive , headers, heads, torque covertor and change my rear end.

But I will say not all rams even if made the same year take to a tuner in the same way. Must be to do with the computer in the truck which gives some people a more difficult time to make them work properly. Some have trouble setting their tire size and other settings that they feel it was not worth it.
So I guess everyone has their reason but it doesn't mean the product is no good, maybe my expectations were a bit lower than some I don't know

Well that's my opinion for what it's worth
Old 06-12-2013, 08:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

gonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant future

I can see that!

I'm definitely not saying the products are no good. Obviously some are..it's just interesting to see all of a sudden people are turnin around and sellin them after such a long and anticipated wait.
JVC Arsenal KD, Bilstein 5100 adjustables [maxed], aFe Stage 2 Air Intake, Superchips 3865, Husky Floor Mats, Saddleman Camo Seat Covers, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler SI/DO, 20 % Tint. 35x12.5x17 Federal Couragia M/T, 17x8.5 VTEC Warlord wheels, -12mm offest.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:02 AM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

I think for some, expectations of a tuner are extremely high. Back in the days, yes, older cars didn't have traction control, abs, and fly by wire. I think the manufacturers wanted a more in control truck on the road with decent power than an out of control, computerized truck rolling over every day of the week. Similar to the kid on YouTube flippin his SRT10 doing a burnout. I will be first to admit that since using my BDGT, I feel my truck is a bit better than stock. I wish this BDGT had the option of adjusting trans shifts like my BD tuner did on my old 2006 Titan 4x4. Hell, even my BD for my 2010 4x4 Armada had the ability to adjust for 1-2 degrees of timing advance. Maybe in time, the program engineers will make a breakthrough with our BDGT's in that aspect for our Hemi's. Patience is a virtue for some. Need more power NOW CAPTAIN! is mentality for others.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:07 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantman View Post
I think for some, expectations of a tuner are extremely high. Back in the days, yes, older cars didn't have traction control, abs, and fly by wire. I think the manufacturers wanted a more in control truck on the road with decent power than an out of control, computerized truck rolling over every day of the week. Similar to the kid on YouTube flippin his SRT10 doing a burnout. I will be first to admit that since using my BDGT, I feel my truck is a bit better than stock. I wish this BDGT had the option of adjusting trans shifts like my BD tuner did on my old 2006 Titan 4x4. Hell, even my BD for my 2010 4x4 Armada had the ability to adjust for 1-2 degrees of timing advance. Maybe in time, the program engineers will make a breakthrough with our BDGT's in that aspect for our Hemi's. Patience is a virtue for some. Need more power NOW CAPTAIN! is mentality for others.
Agree with Gantman, also today they sell you everything with the slogan "massive change, world of difference, you wont believe, etc etc etc" and well people assume that it will change there truck 10 fold. Most of the time a 15-25 hp gain cannot be felt by most butt dino's, I road raced for over 15 years and I can feel the littlest of changes in vehicles but that's what I had to do to give the engineer a direction for the setups. Not everyone spends weeks in a car tuning it for said track. Also, with the advent of the internet and how you click and get instant information, instant purchase, instant gratification, everyone wants everything yesterday and in an instant. I find that each time I change the tune it takes like 3 - 4 days for it to learn my way of driving. Apparently this is how the ECU works, you change a tune its like putting the computer to zero and it has to relearn how you drive and adjusts itself to that, and it does this gradually so even harder for peeps to see there is something going on. I am guessing its to give you that fuel economy they put on the paper which never happens cause there is nearly never a day your going to drive a 1/2 ton truck on a perfect piece of road on a perfect day, on a perfect temperature/humidity with no wind and no traffic. So after 2 - 3 days everything comes into play, humidity, air temp, the gas I got, the computer is happy, etc and then I hit the gas and go " hey, there she is, cool". Its not a sports car, its a truck. The tuner did fix my shift points, I get no pinging, and I can feel on the 87+ tune that when I press the gas, she just pulls and pulls and never stops. I did the 91+ with 94 octane gas and it seemed ok, when I changed back to the 87+ I went, hmmm, not the same anymore, there was a little extra in that tune. JMO*

* (for those who don't know what this means, this is just my opinion, take it as you wish)
Old 06-12-2013, 08:17 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express Quad Cab
Color: White
Rep:37
DWWHemiguy is on a distinguished road

Well for me the reason I sent my tuner back was because after downloading 3 different updates it still wouldn't do what it was supposed to. I fully understand the whole "butt dyno" over-expecting thing. I know better than to expect a lot from a tuner or a cai or something like that. All I wanted was better shifting and no mds. Didn't happen. I just got frustrated with having to do so many updates. Call me old fashioned,but I think products shouldn't be released until the bugs are fixed first. All that said I'll probably get another tuner once all the kinks are gone.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:41 AM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Rep:2778
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

I personally love my trinity. I wasn't expecting my truck to turn into a Lambo, but got what I was hoping for. The ability to turn off MDS, to gain a bit more power and jump off the line which I do notice even with 87 tune, and essentially I wanted the miliage booster mode for my hwy drive to work. Trucks runs better, does get better miliage with the same driving habits as before. I think some people just expect too much out of parts. It is like people that buy a K&N cold air intake and expect there vehicle to drop 3 seconds off the 1/4 mile and to get milage of a civic.
The way I look at it. If the mod shows any benefit, it will eventually pay for itself, I have gained anywhere between 120-200KM more a tank with the Trinity. That gain alone will pay for itself within a few months.
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Old 06-14-2013, 09:41 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:42
Piston Slap is on a distinguished road

I returned my BullyDog due to pining/knocking issues and several of the "Special Features" menu items that did not work properly after 3 separate firmware updates. And the only thing I noticed on my truck with the BD, was slightly better shift timing and shift pressure. Outside of that, it was completely underwhelming. My truck happens to be running stronger now ever since I uninstalled the BD. So, for me it was $419 that's going to be better spent elsewhere. I am extremely disappointed in the whole tuner experience. They only thing positive I have to say was I felt the customer service at BD was great, especially when dealing with Lyle.

I'm not going to keep driving up that re-flash count on the ECU - waiting for a bug free software fix.

Last edited by Piston Slap; 06-14-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:57 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: LARAMIE
Color: MINERAL GREY
Rep:27
mexi is on a distinguished road

hmmm so any rumor of the 13 8speed tuners
Old 06-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I know BD has some tuning out for the 2013s, not sure what engines/trans tho