DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LEVELING

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LEVELING Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-14-2013, 08:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1900
gonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant future
Default FAQs about leveling Rams

So BlueJet was extremely kind and made a section just about leveling our trucks! How perfect! I figured I would put together a list of frequently asked questions I see here on the board. This is by no means a comprehensive list, just some common questions. The answers might also be general and just point you in the right direction. I'm only going to cover 3rd and 4th gens.

Q: Are 4x4 leveling kits and 4x2 leveling kits the same?
A: No. For the covered generations, the kits are different between a 4x4 and 4x2 front suspensions. For example: 4x2 trucks CANNOT use adjustable shocks. Usually a spacer kit is utilized. Example kit: ReadyLift System

Q: leveling my 3rd generation ram (2002-2008)..what do I get?
A: 2002-2005:You guys have torsion bar suspensions in the front, which means technically you can crank those up and level your truck. From talking to experienced members, this is a viable means...just stay within reason. 2/2.5" is the max you should go when doing this. Yes you can buy after market torsion key kits but they essentially do the same thing. So you guys get a FREE level!

2006-2008: You have struts with a coil-over set-up. So you have two options: 1) coil spacers, ex) hell bent steel ~$80/pair
2) adjustable shocks ex) bilstein 5100, rancho ~$180/pair
Option 2 is an EXCELLENT choice and MANY MANY people run these on 3rd and 4th gen rams and love them. They have multiple height settings. (3 for the 3rd gens for bilstein 5100).

Q: leveling my 4th generation ram (2009-current)...what do I get?
A: 4th gen rams have the same options as the later 3rd gen rams. Spacers and adjustable shocks. However, the 4th gens have 5 height settings (bilstein 5100). Also, it is possible to install REAR coil spacers on 4th gens. Some people like to keep the rake for towing/heavy loads, but want to level in order to fit larger tires as well.

Q: Why would I level my truck? Pro's/Con's.
A: 1) Pro: A lot of folks dislike the "rake" (term given for how the truck sits lower in the front than the rear). This does serve a purpose...when filling the bed with heavy loads or towing..the rear will not SQUAT lower than the front due to the forward rake.
2) Pro: Most people level in order to fit larger tires. The consensus is, for both 4th gen and 3rd gens, you can fit 35x12.5 tires. (For a discussion on tire/wheel fitment, go here: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=139106 )
3) Con:With a level truck and a heavy load/towing, you rear can sit lower than the front (you can get air bags to help with this).
4) 4x4 shudder. In rare cases, esp with bilsteins at max setting, some will experience a shudder on acceleration in 4x4. It usually occurs on flat surfaces. Most cases it is very minor and the driver doesn't even notice when off-road..not of concern. In extreme cases, it can be violent and needs to be resolved.

Q: Can I install a level kit by myself?
A: YES! If you are even slightly mechanically inclined, and have a decent set of tools. These kits (spacers/adjustable shocks) are just a few hours work if everything goes right. For coil-over set ups, you will need a spring compressor. SAFETY FIRST

That is all for now. If you have more questions, ask them and I'll add them if I feel they are frequently asked.
JVC Arsenal KD, Bilstein 5100 adjustables [maxed], aFe Stage 2 Air Intake, Superchips 3865, Husky Floor Mats, Saddleman Camo Seat Covers, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler SI/DO, 20 % Tint. 35x12.5x17 Federal Couragia M/T, 17x8.5 VTEC Warlord wheels, -12mm offest.

Last edited by gonefishin776; 06-14-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Yellow + Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
98rumblebee is on a distinguished road

Just a warning... when tweaking torsion bars, make sure you don't go too much. I know a guy who cranked em too far and when he dropped the truck in 4x4 he blew the axles out! It was a Chevy so it got what it deserved but still...
Old 06-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1900
gonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98rumblebee View Post
Just a warning... when tweaking torsion bars, make sure you don't go too much. I know a guy who cranked em too far and when he dropped the truck in 4x4 he blew the axles out! It was a Chevy so it got what it deserved but still...
ya man! Thanks. I said that in the post. not advisable to exceed 2/2.5". and that's probably pushing it. I've never done it, nor seen it. That is just knowledge gained from talking to other members
JVC Arsenal KD, Bilstein 5100 adjustables [maxed], aFe Stage 2 Air Intake, Superchips 3865, Husky Floor Mats, Saddleman Camo Seat Covers, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler SI/DO, 20 % Tint. 35x12.5x17 Federal Couragia M/T, 17x8.5 VTEC Warlord wheels, -12mm offest.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Are Bilstein Adjustable 5100's the best way to level these trucks?

YES!

Grub out!
Old 06-17-2013, 03:30 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:722
macc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to behold

what size tires will the rough country level/lift kit allow? the website says that the kit provides a from 2.5 spacer and a rear 1.75 spacer.

thanks
Old 06-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1969
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc08 View Post
what size tires will the rough country level/lift kit allow? the website says that the kit provides a from 2.5 spacer and a rear 1.75 spacer.

thanks
As the original post says you will be able to fit a 35x12.5 tire with a 2.5" leveling kit. If you are using the stock wheels you will need a 1/4" spacer. If you go with aftermarket wheels 9" wide you will need at least a 0 offset but you can go -12 if you want them to stick out further. Keep in mind the further you push them out the greater chance you have of rubbing on the inner fender.

I'm running a 2.5" level with a 0.75" rear coil spacer and 20x9 -12 offset wheels with 35x12.5's. There's a link to my wheel/tire install thread in my signature below with lots of pictures if you want to take a look at what that set up looks like.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 06-17-2013, 03:55 PM

macc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
As the original post says you will be able to fit a 35x12.5 tire with a 2.5" leveling kit. If you are using the stock wheels you will need a 1/4" spacer. If you go with aftermarket wheels 9" wide you will need at least a 0 offset but you can go -12 if you want them to stick out further. Keep in mind the further you push them out the greater chance you have of rubbing on the inner fender.

I'm running a 2.5" level with a 0.75" rear coil spacer and 20x9 -12 offset wheels with 35x12.5's. There's a link to my wheel/tire install thread in my signature below with lots of pictures if you want to take a look at what that set up looks like.
thats pretty much exactly the kind of setup i want, thanks alot for the info.

one thing though, the rough country kit comes with front and back spacers, whereas id have to buy the HBS one for the front and TGC for the back, making it almost $100 more. is the quality of the HBS/TGC much better then the RCX?
Old 06-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc08 View Post
thats pretty much exactly the kind of setup i want, thanks alot for the info.

one thing though, the rough country kit comes with front and back spacers, whereas id have to buy the HBS one for the front and TGC for the back, making it almost $100 more. is the quality of the HBS/TGC much better then the RCX?
Here's my thoughts on the RCX kit.... a 1.75" rear spacer is WAY to big for only a 2.5" level. It's essentially going to leave you with a stock looking rake, just higher. A leveled truck looks much better IMO. With my set up I already am on the borderline of too much rake.

Both kits are going to be very comparable. Both the front and rear spacers are literally pieces of steel welded together.

The RCX kit is listed at $130 on their website. The HBS leveling kit is $80 and I believe the rear TGC spacer is $50. So it literally works out to the exact same price but for a nicer looking set up IMO.

Have you thought about leveling your truck with the Bilstein 5100's at all? Or have you made up your mind to go with a spacer?

8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Old 06-17-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
Here's my thoughts on the RCX kit.... a 1.75" rear spacer is WAY to big for only a 2.5" level. It's essentially going to leave you with a stock looking rake, just higher. A leveled truck looks much better IMO. With my set up I already am on the borderline of too much rake.

Both kits are going to be very comparable. Both the front and rear spacers are literally pieces of steel welded together.

The RCX kit is listed at $130 on their website. The HBS leveling kit is $80 and I believe the rear TGC spacer is $50. So it literally works out to the exact same price but for a nicer looking set up IMO.

Have you thought about leveling your truck with the Bilstein 5100's at all? Or have you made up your mind to go with a spacer?
im looking more towards going with the spacers just to save money. I have to get new tires and (maybe) rims by the winter, so i figured that the spacers would be more wallet friendly. the only issue with ordering the HBS and TGC is having to pay 2 shipping costs. it was like 50 shipping alone for the HBS spacers to me here in toronto... so i figured with the RCX i would only have to pay one shipping cost. does one of our site sponsors stock both of those spacers? cause if so, then i would only have to pay one shipping cost, and thus save the money... and I really do like the look of your setup..
Old 06-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

That's definitely true. Shipping sucks..... I'm fortunate enough to live right on the border so I get all my parts shipped to a handling company in Washington and just go down to pick them up. Saves a TON of money.

HBS is a vendor on the forum. You could talk to them and find out what kind of deals they could give you. As far as I know TGC is not.... As far as the RCX kit goes I'm not sure if Bully's Performance stocks their leveling kits or not. Either Andrew or Jeremiah are great guys to talk to about that though. They will help you out with any aftermarket parts you want to get for your truck.

Andrew: fastNugly@bullysperformance.com
Jeremiah: jhinkle1989@bullysperformance.com