DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-20-2013, 05:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:49
Tcon is on a distinguished road
Default An idea.. (flares/plastidip)

I want to put fender flares on my new truck but I am concerned about the potential for rust and water collecting under the flares.

What about throwing a few coats of plasti-dip on before putting on the fender flares to protect against that? I keep my trucks for a long time and I don't want any early rusting.

Think it would work? Any adverse effects? Would the water penetrate the plasti-dip?
Old 06-20-2013, 08:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:364
spoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nice

I'd recommend against plastdip for that application. Maybe more of a spray can undercoating would be better. Plastidip is cool looking and easy to work with and completely removable- that's the draw of it. Rust preventer??? My guess is that if you sprayed plastdip under a flair or in the wheel well it would be half gone the very first time you drove on the freeway on a rainy day. Stripes... trim pieces.... emblems..... tips.... yes.
my 2
Old 06-21-2013, 01:23 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light

i would partly disagree with the above post, plastidip will hold up to alottt of stuff, including weather and wost normal wear.

however, there is probably a better product out there for a more permanent time and one that suits rusting alot better than plastidip would.
plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs
Old 06-21-2013, 02:00 AM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2793
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

A better option is probably spray can undercoat, bed liner or rocker guard. Plasti-dipp works amazing.. But for long term rust protection, it probably is not the best option.
Tow mirrors up for the haters
Old 06-21-2013, 10:55 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light

^^agreed^^ plastidip is fantastic or looks and some basic protection, but long term there is alot better stuff, like stated above, for rust protection
plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs
Old 06-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:40
Designflaw is on a distinguished road

I have put flares on several trucks. I clean and wax the crap out of the area. I use no drill flares, and take them off every couple of years and clean wax again. Also, they pull away from the truck, so when washing the truck I use a soft pry and rinse the soap dirt etc... from behind them.

My 2500 was Yellow but before I traded I had just done the cleaning behind, and paint still looked like new! They had been on for 8 years