DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-21-2013, 09:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: White 2013 QC 4x4 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
Irv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcon View Post
I tend to drop my oil and filter right away on my new vehicles. I dropped this trucks oil at 250 Kilometers and switched to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w-20. The theory is you get rid of any manufacturing debris right away. I did the same with my old truck and it is still going strong. Probably a waste of time but I figure its cheap insurance.

I would not suggest running 5w-30, the oil will be too thick at operating temperature. My 2003 Hemi recommended 5w-30 but it didn't have any of the new features like MDS.
I am the same way, or should say I was??
From what I have read, been told etc, I think I am going to leave mine in longer this go around?

I'm at just over 400km's and will likely change around 2000K, but my dealer said to leave until at least the 5000K mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
No on break-in oil they use regular weight, otherwise they would have to specify a shorter oil change interval for the first one.
Didn't think so, but it is surprising how many people actually believe there is, and after what my dealer told me, I was starting to believe him that there was

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
Leave the 5w-30 on the shelf for someone else
The 1500 HEMI has the MDS & it may light up a check engine light
look at your OWNERS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandchef View Post
Skip the 5w-30. It could cause problems and they may not be covered under warranty.
Advice taken. Going to try and return it and see if they will exchange it for some 5W-20, even if I have to pay a difference.

My original thought was the 5W-20 was only suggested/recommended due to the CAFE reg's, but even if it is, it is still not worth taking a chance on due to warranty issues should they arise?
Old 06-22-2013, 04:07 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Rep:63
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough

I got a decent deal on Penzoil full synthetic 5w-20 and a K&N oil filter through advance a few weeks ago. The filter, 5 qt jug, (2) 1 quarts of oil and a small bottle of Lucas fuel treatment for 56 bucks if I remember correctly. Keep a close eye on the oil level in these Hemi's. I was running the dealer Penzoil dino. oil. After 4k miles, I was two quarts low. The engine responded really well to the Penzoil synthetic. Runs, idles smoother and less of the Hemi tick. I have always been a die hard Mobil 1 synthetic guy, but Mobil does not meet Ram's specifications for quality. That could lead to a potential warranty issue. On the other hand, I have proven to myself that you just can't kill an engine with Mobil syn. oil changed at 5k intervals.Several vehicles well over 100k. miles and none of them used oil or where ever touched internally.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:57 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:481
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

I have never known these hemis to use oil between changes, and you are the first person I have heard of it from. Has anybody else experienced this?
Old 06-24-2013, 11:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2538
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
I have never known these hemis to use oil between changes, and you are the first person I have heard of it from. Has anybody else experienced this?
I have not heard of excessive oil consumption with these motors either. My truck is currently at 5200 miles and the oil level is just a fraction below the full mark. I wonder if it has to do with the rings not seated properly.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:45 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Rep:63
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough

i have about 1k on the oil now, checking it tonight after work. It's been sitting on a level surface for 13 hours, so i should get an accurate reading.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: white
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
eric conley is on a distinguished road

According to the manual, it "recommends" using an API certified oil that meets Chrysler's specifications MS-6395. It also "recommends" that we use a Mopar oil filter. So do I need to also be concerned about losing my warranty if I use a K&N filter?
Old 06-28-2013, 06:36 PM

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

5.7 hemis have always specd 5W20 . I've always used Penzoil Platinum available at Walmart in 5 qt jugs. If you want the best oil for a hemi, the Penzoil Ultra scores at the top of the heap, but Platinum or Mobil one are good choices. How do I know, I have almost 300,000 miles on my hemi RT Magnum. Mopar filter at Walmart as well.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf.Line-X Bedliner, 210,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 07-06-2013, 01:28 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:632
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

300000 miles using only penzoil platinum? thats a pretty good reason to use this oil!
Old 07-06-2013, 01:30 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:632
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric conley View Post
According to the manual, it "recommends" using an API certified oil that meets Chrysler's specifications MS-6395. It also "recommends" that we use a Mopar oil filter. So do I need to also be concerned about losing my warranty if I use a K&N filter?
i use the K&N white filter. should meet all chrysler specs? i like the nut on the end.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:34 PM

Vehicle: White 2013 QC 4x4 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: White
Rep:14
Irv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrex View Post
5.7 hemis have always specd 5W20 . I've always used Penzoil Platinum available at Walmart in 5 qt jugs. If you want the best oil for a hemi, the Penzoil Ultra scores at the top of the heap, but Platinum or Mobil one are good choices. How do I know, I have almost 300,000 miles on my hemi RT Magnum. Mopar filter at Walmart as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
300000 miles using only penzoil platinum? thats a pretty good reason to use this oil!
Check out this UOA from bitog.com, awesome numbers using Pennzoil Platinum
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...40#Post3052340