DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ford Mustang
Trim Level: GT
Color: Race Red
Rep:10
Zevox is on a distinguished road
Default Broken Air Temp Sensor?

I was installing my new cold air intake and I when I was removing the air temp sensor I broke the little plastic cage thing around the metal part. The metal part is still intact and the truck is running fine but I wasn't sure if it might have an adverse affect.

Also, if it needs to be replaced is that where you put in the 180 degree stat that everyone runs, and if so does it hurt your fuel mileage or anything?
Sponsored links
Old 12-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Crew Cab, 4x4 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red/Sandstone
Rep:91
dgard61 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
I was installing my new cold air intake and I when I was removing the air temp sensor I broke the little plastic cage thing around the metal part. The metal part is still intact and the truck is running fine but I wasn't sure if it might have an adverse affect.

Also, if it needs to be replaced is that where you put in the 180 degree stat that everyone runs, and if so does it hurt your fuel mileage or anything?
Not 100% sure but I don't think you will have a problem with air temp sensor as long as it stays in the air intake tube. The 180deg stat people are referring to is the coolant thermostat. It's located where the upper rad hose enter's the water pump on the front of the engine
Vent Visor's, Bug Deflector, Chrome Fuel Door, Bak Flip G2 Tonneau Cover, Bed Extender, EZ Down Tailgate Dampener, Line X Spray in Box Liner, WeatherTech Winter Mats, Husky Moulded Mud Flaps, Billet Tech Oil Catch Can, 12" S/S Antenna Mast, Chrome T/G Handle, Mopar CAI, Painted Engine Cover, Billet Tech Polished Underhood Cap's, Front Window Tint, Billet Hitch Cover, Anti-Theft Valve Cap's, MGP Caliper Covers, Retractable S/S Stake Pocket Anchors, Mopar Trailer Brake Controller, Recon LED Light Bar, Polished Billet Lock Pins, Mopar S/S Door Sills, Interior LED's, Mopar LED Cargo Bed Lights, Billet Throttle Body Cover
Old 12-10-2010, 06:35 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 2500 Megacab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:167
jpaul51 has a spectacular aura aboutjpaul51 has a spectacular aura about

I have a Jet 180* thermostat and my mileage has not suffered.
2007 Ram 1500 QC - SOLD and bought a 2009 4x4 Megacab 2500 with 6.7 Cummins. Full Sinister EGR/Throttle Valve/dpf deletes, 4" Turbo back exhaust, Banks cold air intake, EFI Live tuning by Anarchy Diesel running 100hp Street tune. Peragon bed cover.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:54 PM

Vehicle: sold* 10' R/T... 13' R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:142
autobred will become famous soon enoughautobred will become famous soon enough

Zevox, search under MADDOG.. I believe he has a diy thread on how to change thermostat that I followed. Its very easy to do, but do a search or dont be afraid to ask. Sorry to hear about the AIT sensor. As long as it still seals up tight, I would think you should be fine.
edit: if you do decide to do the tstat swap.. heres one thread start with if you havent seen it yet http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=60974&page=3
nice truck you have by the way!

Last edited by autobred; 12-10-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:33 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

won't be a problem at all. the earlier versions didn't have a plastic guard like the new ones do and i ended up breaking the sensor. you will slightly lose mileage with a 180 tstat...
Old 12-10-2010, 09:23 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ford Mustang
Trim Level: GT
Color: Race Red
Zevox is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone, I was only worried because it threw a code but I was checking my oil pressure and might have forgotten to plug the sensor back in before I started the truck >.>

Sidenote- Volant intakes are very cool and make a nice sound but the oil breather line(atleast I think that's what it is) that is provided isn't long enough and you have kinks in it. Yay modification!
Old 06-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Color: Blue
Moevayne is on a distinguished road

I was installing an air intake on my truck a few months ago. I broke the little black plastic part on the air temperature sensor but I haven't noticed any problems with it so far. Will this affect me later on or my mpg?
Old 06-23-2013, 04:14 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Rep:63
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough

Not as long as iit seals up the hole it sits in. And as long as the IAT sensor has adequate airflow to it inside the tube it will be fine.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
LeddMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Zevox,

I did the same thing when installing my k&n. Eventually I used a heat gun to loosen the grommet up a little, but I think I still did some damage to the sensor by breaking the plastic casing off the tip. Did you end up replacing it? And if so where did you get the replacement?

Thanks!