DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-24-2013, 08:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: RED<----
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:15
Red05Ram is on a distinguished road
Default Supercharger questions

So if I were going to a supercharged set up, would it be best to upgrade heads and intake first? I have a mild cam and wanna know if I should save for heads and a 6.1 intake before I go supercharged? Thanks!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:05 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

If you're just going to do a supercharger with stock rotating assembly, you're limited to 8-9psi max, and with pre-eagle heads a 6.1L manifold won't help you out all that much. However if you do a ported eagle head swap then you'd be in the market for a new intake to port match the new heads and the 6.1L is a good choice if you can still find them, they're slowly disappearing since they're no longer in production.

For the cam, I would highly recommend looking at a blower specific cam rather than a mild one; you'd really take advantage of the benefits of boost that way, and the only additional item required would be pushrods because they should upgrade hyour springs when you get the head work done.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:00 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 4x4
Color: RED<----
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:15
Red05Ram is on a distinguished road

I've looked into these http://purehorsepowerperformance.com...sstage2-2.aspx if I were doing a head swap with these I wouldn't need a 6.1intake just the stock would work?
Old 06-26-2013, 12:58 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:34
muddy53 is on a distinguished road
Default 5.7 time bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red05Ram View Post
So if I were going to a supercharged set up, would it be best to upgrade heads and intake first? I have a mild cam and wanna know if I should save for heads and a 6.1 intake before I go supercharged? Thanks!
As CDNOLRAM mentioned, your weak link is the rotating assembly. Any lean condition, even a brief episode, say goodbye to your pistons. You'd better beef up the Pistons and Rods before you start adding any boost or you'll be SOOL. If you upgrade the rotating Assembly, you can add more boost and hold off on the heads and intake and still have more power than you need, which is just right. Good luck!

Last edited by muddy53; 06-26-2013 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I know Arrington has a sale on their 5.7L heads right now for $1599 + core until the 27th, and they do a damned nice ported head. The PPP heads are also a great choice.

IF you went with either of those heads you wouldn't need to do the 6.1L manifold swap, but you'd see some benefit from it in the mid-upper rpm range. The pre-eagle truck manifold falls on its face around 5400rpm.