DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Brakes

Notices

Brakes Brake Maintenance and Replacement

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-25-2013, 09:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: dd69
Engine: 1981-1987 225ci (3.7L) Slant-6 95hp
Rep:10
haybo19 is on a distinguished road
Default brakes won't stop squealing... whyyy

Picked up my new 2003 1500 today and the brakes squeal miserably. Why is this, I know the breaks are in good shape and not worn, so what could be causing this and how can I fix it. Is it because the truck was sitting in a lot for a month, so I should just wait a few days or??? also not sure if this is the right place to post this. Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 06-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express Quad Cab
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:37
DWWHemiguy is on a distinguished road

You can go to any auto parts store and ask them for anti squeal for brakes. Take the brake pads off and smear it on the back side of the pads. It usually comes in these small packs for about 2 dollars each. I had the same problem with another truck that I used to own. It's caused by a vibration between the caliper and the pad. I'm really not sure exactly how it stops the squeal, but it does. When ever I buy new brake pads the auto parts people always remind me to get some. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:35 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Hemi express quad
Trim Level: ST express
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:195
RAM EM has a spectacular aura aboutRAM EM has a spectacular aura about

Go out on an open empty road and do a few 40-0 aggressive stops. Should take care of it.

-DS Trinity- Hemifever tuned - 18" Magnaflow - BT catch can - 180 Tstat - 22" SRT10's - 305/45 Nitto 420 - SG 2/4 drop - blacked out heads/tinted tails - dechromed/debadged - 20% tint-
Old 06-26-2013, 07:39 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM EM View Post
Go out on an open empty road and do a few 40-0 aggressive stops. Should take care of it.
There is a possibility that you have glazed rotors... this might help correct it.

I think the only sure fire way to fix a set of glazed rotors is to have them turned.

Good luck

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 06-26-2013, 09:35 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldn't have to do anything to address your brake squeal if you've had the truck 24HRS.

Take it back.

It's a little thing that pisses me off and is a pet peeve.

Below's a good read as to the possible causes I c/p from the www. --

Brake squeal is common and can be caused by a number of conditions:

Worn pads, glazed pads and rotors, broken anti rattle clips, lack of pad insulation or insulation shims, and incorrect rotor surface cut or no surface cut at all. Let's take a closer look.

Worn Pads

A brake pad is comprised of steel backing with friction material attached to it. Application of the brakes produces hydraulic pressure that causes the brake pads (via brake calipers) to clamp down on the rotors (discs) creating friction. It is the friction of the pads against the rotors that slows and stops the vehicle. When the friction material on the pads wears down, it is time to change the pads. Some pads are equipped with a wear indicator, which is a small spring steel clip. When a pad is worn, this clip makes contact with the rotor and generates a high-pitched squeal, telling you that it is time to service the brakes. If the pad does not have a wear indicator, then when the pad has worn down to the steel backing it will grind into the rotor and need to be replaced. In this scenario, the rotor may have to be replaced as well, depending on how badly it was affected.

Glazed Pads and Rotors

Brake squeal can also occur when brake calipers stick and the brake stays partially applied. When this happens the pad is in constant contact with the rotor, producing excessive friction and thus heat. Overheated pads harden and crystallize. This glazing occurs on the rotors as well. The squealing sound is a result of these super hardened surfaces coming in contact with one another. Remember, it is the friction created by the brake pad against the rotor that stops a vehicle. When crystallization of pad and rotor occurs, there is much less friction. This results in diminished braking power and squealing brakes. At this point the pads must be replaced and the rotors resurfaced or replaced.

Broken Anti Rattle Clips

The brake pad is loosely held in place on the caliper by pad stays. An additional part called an anti rattle clip is used to secure the pad so that it will not vibrate or rattle when the brake is applied. If anti rattle clips are worn or broken, pad vibration will cause squealing. In this case, the clips must be replaced.

Lack of Pad Insulation or Insulation Shims

When a car comes from the factory, insulation shims are placed against the steel backing of the pad to insulate it from the brake caliper. This is necessary to prevent brake squeal. These shims eventually wear out or they are discarded when a brake job is performed. When the pads are replaced, either the shims must be replaced or silicone insulation gel must be applied to prevent squeal. If you had your front brakes replaced recently and they're squealing, take it back to the shop and make sure the shims were installed or gel was used.

Incorrect Rotor Surface Cut or No Surface Cut at All

When a brake job is performed, the rotors must be resurfaced to remove any glazing and return the surface to "true." First the rotor is machined to remove grooves and/or imperfection on the rotor surface. Once the rotor face is "true," a slow, non-directional finish is applied to the rotor face to ensure proper break-in of the pads. This process also insures that the pads don't ride up on the face of the rotor when braking. Riding up of the pads can cause a clicking noise, the breaking of anti rattle clips, or caliper pin wear. If the rotor is found to be too thin according to state inspection rules, it is discarded and replaced. It is important to note that if your pads were replaced without resurfacing the rotors, then squealing and pedal pulsation will probably occur.

Grub out!