DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-26-2013, 09:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Water Pearl
Rep:71
latitud will become famous soon enough

Quote:
That does it for me, I'm not getting a tuner now. Have you talked to Diablo Sport about their shitty tuner, and have they taken any responsibility?
I love my Diablo Sport and have had zero issues with it on two different vehicles. My Charger was tuned for more performance, the Ram is tuned for better towing and mileage. Why advertise 390HP but only deliver 325HP (this is not only a Dodge thing). In my case, the 25 or so extra HP makes a big difference in towing. As does the CAI; I also run a catch can. I understand the risk of mods, but my dealer has been fantastic to deal with over any issues. I don't expect them to warranty a motor failure if its related to something I did. I will however say that my experience with Diablo Sport has been 2nd to none.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:57 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright White-W7
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:139
Hemi N Haw will become famous soon enoughHemi N Haw will become famous soon enough
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy360 View Post
The way I was thinking is... The tuner threw out bad codes and caused a misfire.. Which means the cylinder isn't fireing but I'm assuming its still getting fuel with no spark.. And to me this would mean the raw fuel would wash out that cylinder and cause the rings to wear out faster then normal. And since now it's running on all cylinders the cylinders that were "wounded" are now low on compression and burning oil. And by the way i am no mechanic I as well just dick around with cars as a hobby I got an old ramcharger I built from the ground up. And I'm not to knowledgable on all the new electronic engines.. What I was saying is just how it makes sense to me
Hey dodgeboy I appreciate the explanation since I didn't understand initially. I had an old monte carlo & swapped in a 4.3 v6 to replace the original one that took a crap. The money was the issue at the time so I went a real cheap route & picked up a 4.3 from a boat yard that I worked at. I swapped the intake but not the cam from my old 4.3. It was an old tbi motor. The computer wasn't reading her right so she was dumping fuel in at a higher rate due to a boat making more use of higher rpm. I never did anything to compensate & wham the engine blew due to the fuel washing them cylinders down at a faster rate. So I get it now. Sorry I was such a dumb ass. I forgot old cliffs original threads where he mentions the truck miss firing & the plugs being all fouled up. Yea & in regards to cliffs dilemma. I too feel the tuner is the culprit if so I wonder who else has had issue w/ theirs, bully dog or diablo?
Old 06-26-2013, 01:08 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Hemi Regular Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:277
GrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by latitud View Post
I love my Diablo Sport and have had zero issues with it on two different vehicles. My Charger was tuned for more performance, the Ram is tuned for better towing and mileage. Why advertise 390HP but only deliver 325HP (this is not only a Dodge thing). In my case, the 25 or so extra HP makes a big difference in towing. As does the CAI; I also run a catch can. I understand the risk of mods, but my dealer has been fantastic to deal with over any issues. I don't expect them to warranty a motor failure if its related to something I did. I will however say that my experience with Diablo Sport has been 2nd to none.
I would imagine that most people who purchase these tuners are getting a legit item......but how do you know? Does a statement come with it saying zero issues or we will cover any problems? No. It's the unknown that I don't like..... you don't know what's coming out of the box. I was thinking about making a BD a future mod after the warranty runs out...but with my luck, something like this would occur right after I installed it.....it's great you have a dealer that understands this....but you're the exception.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:00 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Sage Green Pearl
Rep:496
dodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi N Haw View Post
Hey dodgeboy I appreciate the explanation since I didn't understand initially. I had an old monte carlo & swapped in a 4.3 v6 to replace the original one that took a crap. The money was the issue at the time so I went a real cheap route & picked up a 4.3 from a boat yard that I worked at. I swapped the intake but not the cam from my old 4.3. It was an old tbi motor. The computer wasn't reading her right so she was dumping fuel in at a higher rate due to a boat making more use of higher rpm. I never did anything to compensate & wham the engine blew due to the fuel washing them cylinders down at a faster rate. So I get it now. Sorry I was such a dumb ass. I forgot old cliffs original threads where he mentions the truck miss firing & the plugs being all fouled up. Yea & in regards to cliffs dilemma. I too feel the tuner is the culprit if so I wonder who else has had issue w/ theirs, bully dog or diablo?
It's all good I didn't explain good enough the first time.. And yes that's exactly what I'm thinking/ assuming happened to cliff it's the only thing that makes sense to me..
Old 06-26-2013, 06:30 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep:106
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy360 View Post
The way I was thinking is... The tuner threw out bad codes and caused a misfire.. Which means the cylinder isn't fireing but I'm assuming its still getting fuel with no spark.. And to me this would mean the raw fuel would wash out that cylinder and cause the rings to wear out faster then normal. And since now it's running on all cylinders the cylinders that were "wounded" are now low on compression and burning oil. And by the way i am no mechanic I as well just dick around with cars as a hobby I got an old ramcharger I built from the ground up. And I'm not to knowledgable on all the new electronic engines.. What I was saying is just how it makes sense to me

I wouldn't say your speculation is impossible, but I have my doubts that this is what caused this oil consumption. In my humble opinion, this would be unlikely, because the computer controlled deactivation scheme is to cut fuel injection and valve opening for MDS operation, not spark. Cylinder #1 coil is shared with cylinder #6, so unless both #1, and 6 coils stopped operating, there would be some form of fuel burn off of in #1. Fuel with no spark has happened in engines forever( every time a spark plug dies), and is not catastrophic. I this special case, if the computer deactivated the lifters, it would be milliseconds before there was a catastrophic pressure build up near TDC of closed valves with an un-compressible liquid, with at the least... a resultant nasty computer detectable knock.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:08 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayhemiST View Post
I would imagine that most people who purchase these tuners are getting a legit item......but how do you know? Does a statement come with it saying zero issues or we will cover any problems? No. It's the unknown that I don't like..... you don't know what's coming out of the box. I was thinking about making a BD a future mod after the warranty runs out...but with my luck, something like this would occur right after I installed it.....it's great you have a dealer that understands this....but you're the exception.
years ago, i was looking at hypertech and edge programers for cummins, at the time, one or both stated they would stand behind their product and replace or repair any damage caused by their product. of course some engines blew and the companies gave a run around, but imo, op does have recourse if it was in fact the chip that caused the problem.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:30 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 RC/SB
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:398
Butter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really nice

I would think that somewhere in the fine print it says they are only responsible for the tuner, most aftermarket mods come with that disclaimer.
2010 Ram 1500 reg cab swb 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, 3:92 gears, Flowmaster 40 true duals, 2.5 leveling kit, Bridgestone Dueler 275/55/20 on KMC Skitch Wheels, DeeZee steps, BakFlip G2 tonneau cover, Weathertech Digital fit floor mats
Old 06-27-2013, 07:32 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Color: Deep Water Pearl
Rep:71
latitud will become famous soon enough

Quote:
While all of this may be true, we make purchases every day and expect to get what we thought we were. How do you know the weight of oil is what is printed on the bottle? How do you know the octane of fuel is what you are getting? Both of these could have potential long term engine troubles. I hate to read that anyone has an issue like this, but for every issue with a product, there are thousands of satisfied customers. I don't know all the circumstances involved here, but in my case and many more, the Diablo tuner has performed as expected and from my experiences, Diablo has helped with any questions.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:55 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to take into consideration is this all started happening when Cliff got an engine light one night, his engine started to run bad and would give hesitation when giving it gas, he checked the engine code with his tuner and it said mis fire cylinder 8, yet cliff ran the truck for over 3 - 4 hrs with it running bad that night cause he had important stuff to do.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showpost.ph...67&postcount=1

Usually not a good idea to run a truck that has engine issues for that long at city and highway speeds and hope nothing will break or over heat or bend or get abused prematurely. Just that 3-4 hr time frame of issues could be the reason that this engine is dying prematurely. JMO
Old 06-27-2013, 08:58 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Sage Green Pearl
Rep:496
dodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
One thing to take into consideration is this all started happening when Cliff got an engine light one night, his engine started to run bad and would give hesitation when giving it gas, he checked the engine code with his tuner and it said mis fire cylinder 8, yet cliff ran the truck for over 3 - 4 hrs with it running bad that night cause he had important stuff to do.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showpost.ph...67&postcount=1

Usually not a good idea to run a truck that has engine issues for that long at city and highway speeds and hope nothing will break or over heat or bend or get abused prematurely. Just that 3-4 hr time frame of issues could be the reason that this engine is dying prematurely. JMO
This is my point exactly..