DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum


Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #91  
Old 06-26-2013, 09:37 AM
latitud's Avatar
latitud latitud is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southwest VA
Age: 43
Posts: 567
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Water Pearl
Rep Power: 0
Rep:71
latitud will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
That does it for me, I'm not getting a tuner now. Have you talked to Diablo Sport about their shitty tuner, and have they taken any responsibility?
I love my Diablo Sport and have had zero issues with it on two different vehicles. My Charger was tuned for more performance, the Ram is tuned for better towing and mileage. Why advertise 390HP but only deliver 325HP (this is not only a Dodge thing). In my case, the 25 or so extra HP makes a big difference in towing. As does the CAI; I also run a catch can. I understand the risk of mods, but my dealer has been fantastic to deal with over any issues. I don't expect them to warranty a motor failure if its related to something I did. I will however say that my experience with Diablo Sport has been 2nd to none.
__________________
2010 Dodge Ram, 5.7 Hemi, Crew Cab
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 06-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Hemi N Haw's Avatar
Hemi N Haw Hemi N Haw is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North East USA
Posts: 304
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright White-W7
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 3
Rep:139
Hemi N Haw will become famous soon enoughHemi N Haw will become famous soon enough
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy360 View Post
The way I was thinking is... The tuner threw out bad codes and caused a misfire.. Which means the cylinder isn't fireing but I'm assuming its still getting fuel with no spark.. And to me this would mean the raw fuel would wash out that cylinder and cause the rings to wear out faster then normal. And since now it's running on all cylinders the cylinders that were "wounded" are now low on compression and burning oil. And by the way i am no mechanic I as well just dick around with cars as a hobby I got an old ramcharger I built from the ground up. And I'm not to knowledgable on all the new electronic engines.. What I was saying is just how it makes sense to me
Hey dodgeboy I appreciate the explanation since I didn't understand initially. I had an old monte carlo & swapped in a 4.3 v6 to replace the original one that took a crap. The money was the issue at the time so I went a real cheap route & picked up a 4.3 from a boat yard that I worked at. I swapped the intake but not the cam from my old 4.3. It was an old tbi motor. The computer wasn't reading her right so she was dumping fuel in at a higher rate due to a boat making more use of higher rpm. I never did anything to compensate & wham the engine blew due to the fuel washing them cylinders down at a faster rate. So I get it now. Sorry I was such a dumb ass. I forgot old cliffs original threads where he mentions the truck miss firing & the plugs being all fouled up. Yea & in regards to cliffs dilemma. I too feel the tuner is the culprit if so I wonder who else has had issue w/ theirs, bully dog or diablo?
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 06-26-2013, 01:08 PM
GrayhemiST GrayhemiST is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sicklerville, New Jersey
Posts: 385
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Ram Hemi Regular Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 2
Rep:277
GrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by latitud View Post
I love my Diablo Sport and have had zero issues with it on two different vehicles. My Charger was tuned for more performance, the Ram is tuned for better towing and mileage. Why advertise 390HP but only deliver 325HP (this is not only a Dodge thing). In my case, the 25 or so extra HP makes a big difference in towing. As does the CAI; I also run a catch can. I understand the risk of mods, but my dealer has been fantastic to deal with over any issues. I don't expect them to warranty a motor failure if its related to something I did. I will however say that my experience with Diablo Sport has been 2nd to none.
I would imagine that most people who purchase these tuners are getting a legit item......but how do you know? Does a statement come with it saying zero issues or we will cover any problems? No. It's the unknown that I don't like..... you don't know what's coming out of the box. I was thinking about making a BD a future mod after the warranty runs out...but with my luck, something like this would occur right after I installed it.....it's great you have a dealer that understands this....but you're the exception.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 06-26-2013, 02:00 PM
dodgeboy360's Avatar
dodgeboy360 dodgeboy360 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: windsor ontario
Age: 24
Posts: 749
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Sage Green Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 3
Rep:496
dodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi N Haw View Post
Hey dodgeboy I appreciate the explanation since I didn't understand initially. I had an old monte carlo & swapped in a 4.3 v6 to replace the original one that took a crap. The money was the issue at the time so I went a real cheap route & picked up a 4.3 from a boat yard that I worked at. I swapped the intake but not the cam from my old 4.3. It was an old tbi motor. The computer wasn't reading her right so she was dumping fuel in at a higher rate due to a boat making more use of higher rpm. I never did anything to compensate & wham the engine blew due to the fuel washing them cylinders down at a faster rate. So I get it now. Sorry I was such a dumb ass. I forgot old cliffs original threads where he mentions the truck miss firing & the plugs being all fouled up. Yea & in regards to cliffs dilemma. I too feel the tuner is the culprit if so I wonder who else has had issue w/ theirs, bully dog or diablo?
It's all good I didn't explain good enough the first time.. And yes that's exactly what I'm thinking/ assuming happened to cliff it's the only thing that makes sense to me..
__________________
2012 Ram Big Horn
2" leveling kit/eye brow tint/mufflex 14"/trifecta cover/drop in k&n/Timbrens/285x70R17 Duratracs/5" double walled stainless tips
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 06-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Red-Stripe Red-Stripe is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 52
Posts: 342
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep Power: 3
Rep:106
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy360 View Post
The way I was thinking is... The tuner threw out bad codes and caused a misfire.. Which means the cylinder isn't fireing but I'm assuming its still getting fuel with no spark.. And to me this would mean the raw fuel would wash out that cylinder and cause the rings to wear out faster then normal. And since now it's running on all cylinders the cylinders that were "wounded" are now low on compression and burning oil. And by the way i am no mechanic I as well just dick around with cars as a hobby I got an old ramcharger I built from the ground up. And I'm not to knowledgable on all the new electronic engines.. What I was saying is just how it makes sense to me

I wouldn't say your speculation is impossible, but I have my doubts that this is what caused this oil consumption. In my humble opinion, this would be unlikely, because the computer controlled deactivation scheme is to cut fuel injection and valve opening for MDS operation, not spark. Cylinder #1 coil is shared with cylinder #6, so unless both #1, and 6 coils stopped operating, there would be some form of fuel burn off of in #1. Fuel with no spark has happened in engines forever( every time a spark plug dies), and is not catastrophic. I this special case, if the computer deactivated the lifters, it would be milliseconds before there was a catastrophic pressure build up near TDC of closed valves with an un-compressible liquid, with at the least... a resultant nasty computer detectable knock.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 06-26-2013, 07:08 PM
huntergreen huntergreen is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: nj
Posts: 5,863
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 7
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayhemiST View Post
I would imagine that most people who purchase these tuners are getting a legit item......but how do you know? Does a statement come with it saying zero issues or we will cover any problems? No. It's the unknown that I don't like..... you don't know what's coming out of the box. I was thinking about making a BD a future mod after the warranty runs out...but with my luck, something like this would occur right after I installed it.....it's great you have a dealer that understands this....but you're the exception.
years ago, i was looking at hypertech and edge programers for cummins, at the time, one or both stated they would stand behind their product and replace or repair any damage caused by their product. of course some engines blew and the companies gave a run around, but imo, op does have recourse if it was in fact the chip that caused the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 06-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Butter's Avatar
Butter Butter is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Louisiana
Age: 41
Posts: 856
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 RC/SB
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 5
Rep:398
Butter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really nice
Default

I would think that somewhere in the fine print it says they are only responsible for the tuner, most aftermarket mods come with that disclaimer.
__________________
2010 Ram 1500 reg cab swb 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, 3:92 gears, Flowmaster 40 true duals, 2.5 leveling kit, Bridgestone Dueler 275/55/20 on KMC Skitch Wheels, DeeZee steps, BakFlip G2 tonneau cover, Weathertech Digital fit floor mats
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 06-27-2013, 07:32 AM
latitud's Avatar
latitud latitud is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southwest VA
Age: 43
Posts: 567
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Water Pearl
Rep Power: 0
Rep:71
latitud will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
I would imagine that most people who purchase these tuners are getting a legit item......but how do you know? Does a statement come with it saying zero issues or we will cover any problems? No. It's the unknown that I don't like..... you don't know what's coming out of the box. I was thinking about making a BD a future mod after the warranty runs out...but with my luck, something like this would occur right after I installed it.....it's great you have a dealer that understands this....but you're the exception.
While all of this may be true, we make purchases every day and expect to get what we thought we were. How do you know the weight of oil is what is printed on the bottle? How do you know the octane of fuel is what you are getting? Both of these could have potential long term engine troubles. I hate to read that anyone has an issue like this, but for every issue with a product, there are thousands of satisfied customers. I don't know all the circumstances involved here, but in my case and many more, the Diablo tuner has performed as expected and from my experiences, Diablo has helped with any questions.
__________________
2010 Dodge Ram, 5.7 Hemi, Crew Cab
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 06-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Asur Asur is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,850
Gender: Male
Vehicle: .
Rep Power: 14
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute
Default

One thing to take into consideration is this all started happening when Cliff got an engine light one night, his engine started to run bad and would give hesitation when giving it gas, he checked the engine code with his tuner and it said mis fire cylinder 8, yet cliff ran the truck for over 3 - 4 hrs with it running bad that night cause he had important stuff to do.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showpost.ph...67&postcount=1

Usually not a good idea to run a truck that has engine issues for that long at city and highway speeds and hope nothing will break or over heat or bend or get abused prematurely. Just that 3-4 hr time frame of issues could be the reason that this engine is dying prematurely. JMO
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 06-27-2013, 08:58 AM
dodgeboy360's Avatar
dodgeboy360 dodgeboy360 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: windsor ontario
Age: 24
Posts: 749
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Sage Green Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 3
Rep:496
dodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
One thing to take into consideration is this all started happening when Cliff got an engine light one night, his engine started to run bad and would give hesitation when giving it gas, he checked the engine code with his tuner and it said mis fire cylinder 8, yet cliff ran the truck for over 3 - 4 hrs with it running bad that night cause he had important stuff to do.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showpost.ph...67&postcount=1

Usually not a good idea to run a truck that has engine issues for that long at city and highway speeds and hope nothing will break or over heat or bend or get abused prematurely. Just that 3-4 hr time frame of issues could be the reason that this engine is dying prematurely. JMO
This is my point exactly..
__________________
2012 Ram Big Horn
2" leveling kit/eye brow tint/mufflex 14"/trifecta cover/drop in k&n/Timbrens/285x70R17 Duratracs/5" double walled stainless tips
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:43 AM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum