DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: green
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
Shadowmustang is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Desperate! 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l cylinder 6 misfire with ticking sound

Just replaced cylinder heads that cracked. Had to get new heads. Replaced plugs at the same time. Did not replace wires, distributor cap or rotor. Only misfires on #6, as it happens that was a rocker arm bolt that was hard to tighten. Didn't replace rocker arms or push rods. I need to figure this thing out right the first time very low on money as I am living on a VA pension. Very limited income, this will have to come out of food money. Tried getting one of those light up spark plug testers, it wouldn't fit in the plug wire. Also oil level is remaining constant so I don't think it is the plenum gasket. I am open to any and all suggestions.

PS. Truck ran well 3 days before getting P0306 code. Only did short trips prior to having to go 30 miles for a doctors appointment. Ran well on the way there and acted up on the way back.

Last edited by Shadowmustang; 07-02-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: more iniformation
Sponsored links
Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:74
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

A few things come to mind. Number 6's stubborn rocker. It may be that it isn't down all the way. This can lead to the matching valve not opening fully or at all. Second, oil consumption is not so obvious when a plenum gasket fails. It starts out small. As the gasket fails, the leak gets bigger. Then the mis-firing and rattling starts. Third. Ticking, immediately after head replacement makes me think the head gasket did not seal on number 6. I've had that happen twice in my life of working with Mopar smallblocks. No obvious reason. Pulled them back down, put in another gasket on the offending side, and all was good. Despite the fact that the head gasket is the deepest, in light of the recent head replacement, I'd suspect that first. Make sure the #6 wire is firing the plug. Make sure the plug is firing. If they are OK, I would pull the spark plug and start the engine. Does the ticking stop? If so, dead cylinder. How does the mix smell as it shoots out? A little like coolant? Head gasket.

Last edited by Gen1dak; 07-02-2013 at 09:39 PM.