DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:29
xtreme is on a distinguished road

Valid Point. I can see where your coming from for sure!! I just sent Sean at Hemifever an email. Think I'm going to have him do a tune for me. I want to do a little comparison for my personal interest.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:34 AM

Vehicle: 2009 RAM CC Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Sunburst Orange Pearl
Rep:15
BlownGP is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know how the tranny blew. What were they doing? WOT run, 3 to 2 down shift..

What parts blew?
Old 07-04-2013, 07:54 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Trx4
Trim Level: TRX4
Color: INFERNO RED/GRAY
Rep:19
seppie10 is on a distinguished road

Sounds to me it ran to hot. Do you not keep track of your temps in your trans or is that not working? Does sound like its not tuned properly and not something you want to run when not tuned. But i guess it's hard to tell in 4 days and when it already puked. That sure is a bummer specially when you think it's someone else's fault but how to prove is hard. Sure glad your dealer likes you that much and that's a lot of money your not putting out. I would drop and move on if I were u and just spread the word. Good luck man
Old 07-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Black
Rep:120
ironchef2011 will become famous soon enoughironchef2011 will become famous soon enough

I'll throw my two cents in here: I follow my tranny temps like a religion since Day One. I wanted to get a feel for the temp range of my R/T tranny BEFORE my 392 engine swap. What I found is this:

Stock ECU: 130-155 temp range
Diablosport Tune: 155-175 temp range
Hemifever Tune: 130-155 temp range

The shocker here is that Sean has a far more aggressive tranny tune than stock yet the temp is identical. But when I load in the DS canned tune, instant heat rise. In my opinion, who you choose as your tuner is as critical, if not more, than your engine builder. Tuning modern vehicles, especially MOPAR with its limited adjustability parameters, is paramount and should not be taken lightly.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:28 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Grey
Rep:29
xtreme is on a distinguished road

I have been trying to find temp on my trinity. Can someone either tell me
How or a screenshot??
Old 07-04-2013, 03:44 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Sport
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:111
TheBlackHemi will become famous soon enoughTheBlackHemi will become famous soon enough

Trust me for all that's been a round a couple years on these forums knows how informative/detailed my post/threads can be.....so yes I'm constantly monitoring temps/ doing datalogs.

The funny thing about stock tuning with the stock torque converter I'm running hotter on my tranny temp than I ever did (probably by 5-10degrees more) when I had my circle d tc and hemifever tune....so I'm pretty sure Ironchef has a valid point.

As far as the tranny blowing/ what I was doing......
I was simply driving down I-45 on my way to LOOK at a few 2013/14 5.0 mustangs. Felt a few hi-cups in the drive-line then a clunk when exiting 1/2 a mile from the Ford Dealership. The RPMS shot up like crazy and threw a CEL, plugged in the tuner and read the codes.....p0734 and p0735 (incorrect 4 and 5 gear ratio). Which means 3rd and 4th gear burnt up, soleniod pack was trashed, and remember what else they replaced (have the invoice in the truck with everything on it). Like I said earlier what he tuned me for is what the scanners pretty much showed at the dealer. So I have no doubt in my mind it was tune related because in almost half of a year that was the only thing new introduced into the equation.

@Ironchef trust me bro I've moved on, that day my tranny took a dump I had no choice to buy that mustang, made for a nice B-day present. Since then I sold my performance stuff off my truck (truck is a DD now) and put it in the mustang, to the tune of a little over 12k worth. Now I have twice the power of the ram and close to a ton worth of weight reduction haha.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:04 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:963
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackHemi View Post
Trust me for all that's been a round a couple years on these forums knows how informative/detailed my post/threads can be.....so yes I'm constantly monitoring temps/ doing datalogs.

The funny thing about stock tuning with the stock torque converter I'm running hotter on my tranny temp than I ever did (probably by 5-10degrees more) when I had my circle d tc and hemifever tune....so I'm pretty sure Ironchef has a valid point.

As far as the tranny blowing/ what I was doing......
I was simply driving down I-45 on my way to LOOK at a few 2013/14 5.0 mustangs. Felt a few hi-cups in the drive-line then a clunk when exiting 1/2 a mile from the Ford Dealership. The RPMS shot up like crazy and threw a CEL, plugged in the tuner and read the codes.....p0734 and p0735 (incorrect 4 and 5 gear ratio). Which means 3rd and 4th gear burnt up, soleniod pack was trashed, and remember what else they replaced (have the invoice in the truck with everything on it). Like I said earlier what he tuned me for is what the scanners pretty much showed at the dealer. So I have no doubt in my mind it was tune related because in almost half of a year that was the only thing new introduced into the equation.

@Ironchef trust me bro I've moved on, that day my tranny took a dump I had no choice to buy that mustang, made for a nice B-day present. Since then I sold my performance stuff off my truck (truck is a DD now) and put it in the mustang, to the tune of a little over 12k worth. Now I have twice the power of the ram and close to a ton worth of weight reduction haha.
Man brother! Way too rich for my blood! I'm just happy to have my Ram paid off to tow my paid off bass boat. I still like your DD Ram better than any mustang any day of the week. UNLESS! It looks like Eleanor, in Gone in 60 seconds.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:49 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

My tranny had 25k on it and 0 problems put in w/l engine and tranny tune (now mind you he walked me through every step on phone so if something was wrong he did it) first tune threw a low line pressure code removed code reinstalled stock tune next tune threw 4 codes low pressure something about 4th and 5th gear ratio and some kind of sensor code remove put in stock to late tranny was gone temp was running at about 150-160 fluid turned black and burnt. But was told was my fault i did something wrong Kinda funny since he walked me through everything on phone. Now he refuses to answer me or return my phone call just wants to point fingers. Thats a 4800 dollar mistake i will not make again.

Only info i got from dealer was my over drive clutches had fried.

I had the canned tune on it went to gatty ran auto cross and everything thing and 0 issues got home checked all my fluids were perfect and not burnt

And at time it threw the code it started to buck real bad then it went from 2k rpm to 5k rmp then engaged and tthen sat there and would not shift out of first put stock tune back in it shifted but real sloppy and slippery

Last edited by dodgert; 07-04-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:15 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Sport
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:111
TheBlackHemi will become famous soon enoughTheBlackHemi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantman View Post
Man brother! Way too rich for my blood! I'm just happy to have my Ram paid off to tow my paid off bass boat. I still like your DD Ram better than any mustang any day of the week. UNLESS! It looks like Eleanor, in Gone in 60 seconds.
I've never been into brand loyalty but into the best in there respective category. In the muscle car cat the new 5.0s hands down are the best bang for the buck. They respond to mods the best and the auto is damn never bullet proof.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Rep:120
ironchef2011 will become famous soon enoughironchef2011 will become famous soon enough

Those gentlemen, are two horrible stories! To say that I feel bad is an understatement.

My 392 may or may not burn up my stock tranny, only time will tell. But from experience with other modified automatics, tranny oil temperature and line pressure are almost always the culprits. For my build, it was a bare minimum to have Sean do my programming and to back that up with a deeper tranny pan and a giant tranny cooler with Spal fan assist and a built in thermostat. The two extra quarts of oil along with the cooler are insurance and are probably overkill for my build, but these trannies scare me.