DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-23-2013, 02:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
quigs01 is on a distinguished road

My dad has a 2010 laramie 1500 and if I drift around the icy roads too much the engine will shut off. It has always done this and we haven't seen any other problems.

I'll have to see how my 2013 fares this winter.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013
Trim Level: Big horn
Color: Black
Rep:10
Chethall2 is on a distinguished road

Got my truck back yesterday, thank you all who have responded. Before I signed for it, I had the service advisor document their recommendation related to the gas. I called BS on this and the Service Advisor agreed but had to go with what Chrysler passed to him. It did in fact stalled while they were test driving it. It was kind of unsafe for them too, it happens at the most inopportune time in traffic. As far as the lemon law goes for Maryland the same problem must occur three times and if the service department can't fix....it's time to begin the process. It's funny that the service department can't figure out what the hell is going on. They spent two days trying to figure this out, this is a big letdown. I will do what they suggested and put mid grade gas in it and stay away from 87 and lower. I use either Shell or Exxon gas stations when I can never the lower end stations. I will say the Exxon has a mixture of ethanol I believe no more than 10%. I gotta check on this. I also am going to take it to another dealership for their recommendation, first I will check on their reputation related to their service department. That is if there is any way too. For now fingers are crossed the gas is the problem. If it is the manual should clearly state ONLY 89 octane or higher! NOT recommended!

Last edited by Chethall2; 06-23-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Hemi 5.7L w/8 Speed
Color: Copperhead Pearlcoat
Rep:54
The Crow 1994 will become famous soon enough

I've run only 87 octane in my '13 Big Horn and haven't had any engine issues whatsoever. The biggest reason I'm running 87 is because 99% of the 89 octane gas around here has ethanol in it.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:14 AM

Vehicle: 2013
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black Gold Pearl
Rep:11
firemarshallvin is on a distinguished road

May not help, but.... My cousin has an '09 and started telling me about his RPM dropping like the thing was going to stall, this more so at idle though. In any case we changed plugs, cleaned the TB, but no real change. He caught wind of this somewhere, but ended up checking the tranny fluid level and sure enough it was a tad low. After topping it off it completely went away. Again, this does sound a little different than your scenario, and you are driving a brand new truck, but it's a thought. Good luck.

Add-ons:
14" Magnaflow, BAK FiberMax Tonneau, Misc Whelen Emergency Lights and Switchpak.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:16 AM

Vehicle: Ram
Rep:76
Grimass will become famous soon enough

Do you have more details on the Stall? When does it happen? Does the engine just stop? When you restart the engine, does it fire right up -- or choke a bit?

And most importantly, is your truck throwing any codes?

I'll say I'm 50/50 on the gas theory. I have seen what crappy gas can do to a car -- And if you tend to get gas from the same gas station (which most people do) it's very possibly that that gas station has issues.

Honestly right now, go to a different gas station, fill up with the best go-juice they have, and see if it fixes the issue.

However, what is weird about this is, the truck is stalling without throwing any codes.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:07 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 5.7 6spd
Trim Level: Express QC 6'4" bed
Color: Polar White
Rep:44
turbohawk is on a distinguished road

Getting water in your gas is more common than you think. Just had at least a dozen people at a very busy station off IH-10 all get tanks with water in them. The manager had to shut down half the pumps to make sure he wasn't paying for more tanks of gas for these folks and no telling how much in labor costs! I was waiting on a friend to show when this happened and didn't need any fuel, THANK GOD!

This is the second time in my life I've personally witnessed water in fuel but have been fortunate enough to not be the recipient of any tainted fuel (that I know of). But I do hear of at least one case like this annually in Texas, and its almost ALWAYS after a big rain. So, yeah, there weren't many "water in fuel" stories the 3 years prior...dust in fuel maybe...
Old 07-01-2013, 11:33 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:632
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

use a name brand gas from a station that has a high turnover rate. meaning the gas doesn't sit in their tank for a year for the one or two drivers they serve per day. stick with 89 octane for now. good luck with this.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:42 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram RT
Trim Level: RT
Color: Steel Blue Metallic
Rep:136
ValleyRacer will become famous soon enoughValleyRacer will become famous soon enough
Default Octane is not the issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethall2 View Post
Anybody know why my truck just stalls for no reason. Ram service department is telling me it is because I use low grade gas. Manual recommends mid grade or higher. They have had my truck for three days and this is what I am being told passed down by Chrysler to their service manager. If this is true what in the hell they just document in their operator's manual. This is my first ram and only had it for two months less than 2000 miles on it and this is my first truck. I will be driving and pressing on the gas pedal and out of nowhere no power .... It just seems to not be getting gas. Now I'm second guessing myself and should have got a ford 1500. Anyone else having the same issue?
Most likely a defective fuel pump. Dealership technicians frequently yank explanations out of their gluteus-maximus. The gas stations in your area get fuel from the nearest refinery. So forget about Shell, octane, midgrade etc
Have a dealership check the fuel flow, PCM fuel pump voltage, pressure.
You could even start your engine in a QUIET area and listen to the fuel pump for high pitch whining.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:09 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 5.7 6spd
Trim Level: Express QC 6'4" bed
Color: Polar White
Rep:44
turbohawk is on a distinguished road

As for the 89 Octane, I've run several tanks of 89, in a row to make sure it is 99%+ 89 and saw absolutely ZERO benefit in MPG or general power feel. I did pay an extra $2.25 for each tank...yeah, not much more cost but again not a damn bit of difference. I'm almost at 4000 miles now and think I'll stick with the 87 unless someone can give me a concrete reason to pay the lil bit extra. $2.25 is nearly a premium coffee!