DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 RAM CC Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Sunburst Orange Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:15
BlownGP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantman View Post
Man brother! Way too rich for my blood! I'm just happy to have my Ram paid off to tow my paid off bass boat. I still like your DD Ram better than any mustang any day of the week. UNLESS! It looks like Eleanor, in Gone in 60 seconds.
hahah, no shit huh. The last thing I would do if my tranny blew would be go buy another car.. haha. Damn that crazy..

Im not an expert on dodges but from what I've read over the years. These trannys are pretty reliable with mild mods. Of course like any tranny, you go up in horsepower or drive like a jack ass. You will break something.

Ironchef. That is very strange that the tune up'd the tranny temps unless he messed with the line pressure or TC stall speed.

Im amazed how cool these trannys run, in the grand prix world. It's a blessing if the tranny temp goes blew 200* on a hot day.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:30 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

Prob is if you have a guy tunning your tranny that has no clue then no matter how you drive or what you do its gonna fry.

And if your buying a 392 why not just spend another 2500 and get a good tranny im sure that 392 will be to much for it
Old 07-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 sport
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:10
ESP is on a distinguished road

there's some great information in this thread.. unfortunate that it had to come from blown up transmissions, but none the less a great read.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Black
Rep:120
ironchef2011 will become famous soon enoughironchef2011 will become famous soon enough

Great question, why didn't I just opt for a built tranny up front? From my research, that option has been a perilous journey for some. Sharadon, ATS, and others have some good and bad reviews out there. For me, it will most likely be Paramount and that's not $2500, closer to $4K shipped without core, install or TC. But that being said, it wasn't the money that had me staying stock. It was my driving style. I don't drag, floor the throttle at highway speeds and I keep close tabs on all of my engine/trans vitals. But most importantly, I took advice from the experts at Inertia, Modern Muscle, Hemifever, Arrington, Paramount and Circle D. All said to run the crate 392 as-is for now and get the tune perfected. Then if the trans goes, address it. All felt that since I have an R/ T that is light weight for a Ram, 2WD, 4.10 and a 2600 stall that it stands the best chance of lasting a long time if taken care of, especially considering I have no plans for forced induction or other power adders.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:22 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

If/when it comes time to upgrade you might want to look at Mike from L&M Customs, he's building 545/68rfe hybrid transmissions. I've got one in mine right now and it's feeling absolutely solid right now. It's behind 2 high powered Rams and mine will be making big numbers by the end of the month.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:04 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgert View Post
My tranny had 25k on it and 0 problems put in w/l engine and tranny tune (now mind you he walked me through every step on phone so if something was wrong he did it) first tune threw a low line pressure code removed code reinstalled stock tune next tune threw 4 codes low pressure something about 4th and 5th gear ratio and some kind of sensor code remove put in stock to late tranny was gone temp was running at about 150-160 fluid turned black and burnt. But was told was my fault i did something wrong Kinda funny since he walked me through everything on phone. Now he refuses to answer me or return my phone call just wants to point fingers. Thats a 4800 dollar mistake i will not make again.

Only info i got from dealer was my over drive clutches had fried.

I had the canned tune on it went to gatty ran auto cross and everything thing and 0 issues got home checked all my fluids were perfect and not burnt

And at time it threw the code it started to buck real bad then it went from 2k rpm to 5k rmp then engaged and tthen sat there and would not shift out of first put stock tune back in it shifted but real sloppy and slippery
"It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them...... To make a mistake is only an error in judgement, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character." Dale Turner - American singer-songwriter, rock musician, and multi-instrumentalist/record producer.

For that very reason there in bold, White Lightning has lost all credibility with me.

No because his tune may have damaged your transmission [or may not have], but because he completely ignored your communication efforts after the fact when all you were after was simply an explaination or some sorts.

That simple ignorance on his behalf taints his reputation and his product.... as it righfully should! It only takes one time to one person, IMHO.....

If you're going to put your name behind a product, any product, then your reputation also shadows the very same product. If you can't back either, then you and your product ain't worth a squirt of monkey's piss with me.

That's just plain chicken shit!

We all screw up in some form or fashion; just be a man and stand up to your mistakes.

Thanks for posting.

Grub out.

Grub out!
Old 07-05-2013, 12:12 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

Iron quick question if you dont drag or drive fast why did you get a 392 then lol just curious
Old 07-05-2013, 12:23 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Satin Orange
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

nice that the early 04's have zero custom tcm options so we can't be tempted. Bummer to those are are experiencing this with their rides.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:37 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:36
ericlee9386 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef2011 View Post
Great question, why didn't I just opt for a built tranny up front? From my research, that option has been a perilous journey for some. Sharadon, ATS, and others have some good and bad reviews out there. For me, it will most likely be Paramount and that's not $2500, closer to $4K shipped without core, install or TC. But that being said, it wasn't the money that had me staying stock. It was my driving style. I don't drag, floor the throttle at highway speeds and I keep close tabs on all of my engine/trans vitals. But most importantly, I took advice from the experts at Inertia, Modern Muscle, Hemifever, Arrington, Paramount and Circle D. All said to run the crate 392 as-is for now and get the tune perfected. Then if the trans goes, address it. All felt that since I have an R/ T that is light weight for a Ram, 2WD, 4.10 and a 2600 stall that it stands the best chance of lasting a long time if taken care of, especially considering I have no plans for forced induction or other power adders.
Ok I feel late but you have a 392 in your truck? How hard was the install?
Old 07-05-2013, 03:23 AM

Vehicle: 2009 RAM CC Sport
Color: Sunburst Orange Pearl
Rep:15
BlownGP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgert View Post
Iron quick question if you dont drag or drive fast why did you get a 392 then lol just curious
x2
Must be nice..

I think Im going to twin turbo mine and park it in the garage. lol