DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-06-2013, 12:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Sport
Color: Blue Pearl
Rep:5
RekTek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Payload cap with air bags

Lately I'm finding myself needing more payload capacity than what the 1500 offers. It's pretty disappointing to see how little can go in before its overloaded. Just an example, I need about a cubic yard of soil and since that'll be 2000-4000lbs there's no way it's going in. I'll need to do 3 long trips. A third of a yard just looks like nothing in the back. It seems strange how little these trucks can carry, espcially if you happen to be towing something or have a few passengers. So the question is: how much weight would you feel comfortable putting in the box with a good set of bags installed? Pics couldn't hurt either
Sponsored links
Old 07-06-2013, 01:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express 4X4
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:274
h2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the rough

I hear ya but, the max payload is advertised as 1930 lbs. So 2000 to 4000 is well beyond. So, with the Airlift 1000 you should be at close to 2930lbs. I would not push this number as it is only advertised and Ram may not warranty weights that high if something bad should happen.

Half the beast
I used to be
Old 07-07-2013, 12:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Sport
Color: Blue Pearl
Rep:5
RekTek is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
I hear ya but, the max payload is advertised as 1930 lbs. So 2000 to 4000 is well beyond. So, with the Airlift 1000 you should be at close to 2930lbs. I would not push this number as it is only advertised and Ram may not warranty weights that high if something bad should happen.
Thx for the reply. As simple as it seems I'm confused about what I can carry. Here it says max payload is only 1368lbs......http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/. So basically myself and 4 guys from work and I'm a hundred or 2 from the cap with nothing in the box?? You say 1930lbs and I've heard other numbers from various sources. That's a large gap. Either way i can't get a full cubic meter that's for sure. Maybe half. That seems so strange to me. A full size pickup can only handle half a cubic meter, probably less? Feels like my VW could handle that.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:38 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Trim Level: 1500 Bighorn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:54
MrPiper will become famous soon enough

Air bags do not increase the payload capacity for your truck. They keep the rear from sagging under the weight and help level the ride when towing, but the payload capacity is what it is for your truck and is not affected by air bags sadly. Says so right in the instructions for the air bag kit.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:59 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express 4X4
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:274
h2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiper View Post
Air bags do not increase the payload capacity for your truck. They keep the rear from sagging under the weight and help level the ride when towing, but the payload capacity is what it is for your truck and is not affected by air bags sadly. Says so right in the instructions for the air bag kit.
Technically this is correct. That's why the load capacity number should not be pushed.

Half the beast
I used to be
Old 07-07-2013, 01:38 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiper View Post
+1 on this, the truck is made for X payload, adding aftermarket products may help in carrying more payload but the truck is not designed for it and issues may arise from overloading the truck, the extra load may also induce safety issues and kill your trucks warranty. Best bet invest in a trailer that can carry the extra loads and keep your current truck or buy a bigger truck that has the payload capacity of your needs.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
+1 on this, the truck is made for X payload, adding aftermarket products may help in carrying more payload but the truck is not designed for it and issues may arise from overloading the truck, the extra load may also induce safety issues and kill your trucks warranty. Best bet invest in a trailer that can carry the extra loads and keep your current truck or buy a bigger truck that has the payload capacity of your needs.
Couldn't agree more; it's a simple decision. If you only need the extra capacity occasionaly, get a trailer. If you need it frequently get a HD truck.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!