DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain Engines, Transmissions & Differentials > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-04-2013, 02:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: Superb 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:64
Nck will become famous soon enough
Default I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

It's time to renew my registration. And my truck won't pass without the muffler. So I have to put one of my old ones back on. I must choose between my super 44 and super 10.
The sound will be different because I didn't have my high flow cat back when I ran a muffler. So everybody's opinion matters here. I want a deep mean growl that the 44 has, but also the loudness of the super 10.
I'm kind of thinking my 44 for the deep tone, but then again it might quiet the truck to much. It might be loud either way with the high flow cat.
Sponsored links
Old 07-04-2013, 02:25 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: mineral grey
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:355
maust1 is just really nicemaust1 is just really nicemaust1 is just really nicemaust1 is just really nice

Put either one in get it inspected then remove it. Non worries it can be quiet for the day no one will notice.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:52 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

+1 to ^^^

I was going to suggest the same thing.

1 day who is it going to kill? Or in this case, 1 day, how many people's hearing will you save? LOL.....
Old 07-05-2013, 03:23 AM

The thing is, i don't know how to weld, nor do I know anyone that does. So I'll have to pay $70 to put it on and then about 70 to take it off again.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2529
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

use muffler clamps, no welding involved
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 07-05-2013, 07:50 AM
Sarcasm is a free service

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:3212
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

muffler clamps are your friend in this situation. Have a shop cut a section of your exhaust out, expand and notch a piece of pipe to slide in the section and do the same to the muffler ends, then you can install/remove as required. Use exhaust band clamps, not the U-bolt type that can crush the pipe together.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:54 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

Here I go again with another half related and half off topic comment.......I appear to be good at this??

Anyway.........anytime I hear someone say "stuck between a rock and a hard place" (this thread heading) reminds me of a guy that I worked with, that up until a few years ago when I had to finally correct him because he was embarrassing me in front of my clients, would say "stuck between a rock and a HOT PLATE"........yes both equally uncomfortable I'm sure, but just not quite the way the saying goes.

Sadly those of us in the know will now frequently use the term "stuck between a rock and a hot plate" as a laugh, but occasionally I have caught myself saying it in the wrong crowd and have to quickly correct myself and explain the story! LOL......

Okay you can go back to doing what it was you were doing......hopefully you aren't involved in any hot plate horrors?!?
Old 07-07-2013, 05:50 AM

I appreciate all the help and advice guys. I just had the delete pipe welded back on, I will just worry about figuring all this out around next years inspection.
I think though with those exhaust band clamps mentioned above, I could use a straight cherry bomb and that way I won't have to bend any pipe. I will cut out a section of the pipe the length of the cherry bomb, and that way I can remove the muffler as I please. And have my straight pipes when I want to.