DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 RAM CC Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Sunburst Orange Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:15
BlownGP is on a distinguished road
Default DIY catch can installed with ball valve

Well I bought this catch can a long time ago and used for a temporary intercooler reservoir on my GTP. Well why not use it for what its supposed to be used for.

So a little bending of the bracket that came with it, paint, hose, and one fitting for the drain and a ball valve. I have a catch can for around $20.

I also installed a Fastman TB too

Last edited by BlownGP; 07-07-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 07-08-2013, 01:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013
Rep:23
Captaincworley is on a distinguished road

Sweet..Lets make 1 for mine now lol..Notice any thing with the TB?Ill let ya know how the edge 2800 works out when i get home..Should do pretty well i hope lol!!
Charles
Old 07-08-2013, 09:45 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 HEMI
Trim Level: ST Express
Color: Bright White
Rep:71
Ezekielguy86 will become famous soon enough

I like the mounting setup you did little better then when I did my DIY catch can. Good job!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:35 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram factory order
Trim Level: ST
Color: BLACK
Rep:256
HOTRODHARLEY is a jewel in the roughHOTRODHARLEY is a jewel in the roughHOTRODHARLEY is a jewel in the rough

Isn't it just an empty can with an inlet/outlet..? A true air/oil separator has a divider and some kind of mesh/screen/filter media in it....
Belltech 3"/5" Lowering kit. Belltech Rear Swaybar, Flowmaster Y Pipe, Custom 4" Single Exhaust w/ 4" Race Magnaflow, 22" SRT10 Wheels, Moroso Catch Can, Undercover SE Tonneau Cover, Weathertech Techliner Bedliner, Diablosport Trinity w/ Hemifever Tune
Old 07-09-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Sweet..Lets make 1 for mine now lol..Notice any thing with the TB?Ill let ya know how the edge 2800 works out when i get home..Should do pretty well i hope lol!!
Charles
Lol, sure if ya want. Driving the truck today to work. I did notice a nice throttle response and it seems to pull harder in the upper RPMs. To be honest though I haven't much time to get a feel for the truck. Just been driving back and forth to work with a little WOT every so often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTRODHARLEY View Post
Isn't it just an empty can with an inlet/outlet..? A true air/oil separator has a divider and some kind of mesh/screen/filter media in it....
True as in what BP or Diablo Sport one sell? I guess since if you don't run one of those. Your not cool. lol

Most catch cans don't have mesh filter inside. So they must do something to sell them. This will at least be better than nothing..

I was looking at this one. Miget get later on since it mounts the same. Im going to see how mine works first
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-OI...398145&vxp=mtr
Old 07-09-2013, 12:12 PM

HOTRODHARLEY is a jewel in the roughHOTRODHARLEY is a jewel in the roughHOTRODHARLEY is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownGP View Post
Lol, sure if ya want. Driving the truck today to work. I did notice a nice throttle response and it seems to pull harder in the upper RPMs. To be honest though I haven't much time to get a feel for the truck. Just been driving back and forth to work with a little WOT every so often.

True as in what BP or Diablo Sport one sell? I guess since if you don't run one of those. Your not cool. lol

Most catch cans don't have mesh filter inside. So they must do something to sell them. This will at least be better than nothing..

I was looking at this one. Miget get later on since it mounts the same. Im going to see how mine works first

I get the whole install parts that are laying around... But why waste all that time on something that half ass works..? Do it right and do it once... Thats how I roll... Like a square wheel down the yellow brick road...
Belltech 3"/5" Lowering kit. Belltech Rear Swaybar, Flowmaster Y Pipe, Custom 4" Single Exhaust w/ 4" Race Magnaflow, 22" SRT10 Wheels, Moroso Catch Can, Undercover SE Tonneau Cover, Weathertech Techliner Bedliner, Diablosport Trinity w/ Hemifever Tune
Old 07-09-2013, 05:34 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Rep:63
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough

That's not a bad looking catch can for 43 bucks. It will do the job, and it looks good enough for me.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:10 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Hemi express quad
Trim Level: ST express
Color: Grey
Rep:195
RAM EM has a spectacular aura aboutRAM EM has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

The BP, DS, and BT catch cans all have a screen and stainless mesh media inside them.

-DS Trinity- Hemifever tuned - 18" Magnaflow - BT catch can - 180 Tstat - 22" SRT10's - 305/45 Nitto 420 - SG 2/4 drop - blacked out heads/tinted tails - dechromed/debadged - 20% tint-
Old 07-09-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTRODHARLEY View Post
I get the whole install parts that are laying around... But why waste all that time on something that half ass works..? Do it right and do it once... Thats how I roll... Like a square wheel down the yellow brick road...
Ofcourse but who really knows if it half ass works. We will see. Everyone gets shunned if they dont by $100 catch can and think there engine will blow if they run anything less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM EM View Post
The BP, DS, and BT catch cans all have a screen and stainless mesh media inside them.
No shit. They are pretty much copies off each other. I was speaking of the ones on ebay... To me I think a catch can is a piece of mind mod.. You want to tell all the HEMI's in the 4th gens, 3rd gens and there LX cars have to run a catch can?? Pretty sure there doing fine without one, when I was search for my ram. I came across many 4th gens with around 100K.. Seem be running ok to me.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Ofcourse but who really knows if it half ass works. We will see. Everyone gets shunned if they dont by $100 catch can and think there engine will blow if they run anything less.

No shit. They are pretty much copies off each other. I was speaking of the ones on ebay... To me I think a catch can is a piece of mind mod.. You want to tell all the HEMI's in the 4th gens, 3rd gens and there LX cars have to run a catch can?? Pretty sure there doing fine without one, when I was search for my ram. I came across many 4th gens with around 100K.. Seem be running ok to me.
Pull off your TB after 20k... And see how much oil is on there. Oil is never ever meant to be in the combustion chamber... All an engine should see is air and fuel in the top end... 100k on a motor is nothing. "Running ok" is not the same as running like brand new... Try 300k on an engine. A catch can is a great addition to extending an engines life span. And really... What's a $100 investment for a $40...$50... $60,000 truck/car..? How much did you spend painting your pretend can to match..? Think about it....