DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-09-2013, 07:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 dodge ram 2500HD
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Aqua and clear White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
pick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsabin View Post
Personally I would just put steel on and be done with it.
Yes, and how about giving the new lines a double coat of POR 15. That's amazing stuff and I have used it to battle rust on several other of my old project cars in past years. One quart will go a long ways and you'd have enough to spot touch other rust problem areas.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 V10
Color: Blue
Engine: 1994-2001 488ci (8.0L) LA V10 300 hp 450lb/ft
Rep:10
melliam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post
Well, I joined the rusty brake line club yeserday when the pedal went to the floor. Lucky no cross traffic at stop sign.

I dropped gas tank today and removed the long 10' plus line. I think is is a 52009911AB will have to see if dealer has one Monday.
Thanks Steve for the pics! $78 for a hose flare kit with tube cutter, 5' of brake line with union nuts, and assorted new bolts to replace crap that rusted, and voila, done. Of course, it took this sap a whole day.

Couldn't get gas tank strap to come off, but taking the two nuts off one side allowed the tank to drop and slide over enough to access the brake line (also loosened two clamps on rubber hoses - vent and fillup hose). Used Irwin clamps to push tank over. I had the exact same carnage as Steve. The chassis brake line running to back axle had blown beside tank. The plastic clamps holding brake line and fuel line had helped corrode line. Guess winter salt gets caught up there. I was worried back metal bracket which holds transition from metal to rubber line was hooped, as mine looked worse than yours, but was able to unscrew metal line. When pulling line out back, the line broke in another spot, so this swap out was long overdue.

Was a bear with tank being half full. Getting tank straps back up nearly killed me...tight fit. Again, clamps and crowbar helped.

Hopefully, line is good for another 13 yrs. Just have to see about lines running to front, as they look as bad as the line I just fixed. Nasty feeling pushing brake to floor and Big Blue not stopping.

Oh yeah, used this helpful pictorial to make my flares. http://www.stu-offroad.com/suspensio...etool/ft-1.htm
(2 pages)

Last edited by melliam; 07-16-2014 at 04:02 AM. Reason: add link