DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough

If you are on either Verizon or Sprint then texting doesn't work correctly on the S3 or the S4. You can receive messages but can't send them. On AT&T or T-mobile, it does work. The phone networks seems to be an issue, also on those 2 networks when there is an incoming message and the person is in your phonebook, Uconnect will say from "unknown number". This is because The network isn't sending the number correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriSum View Post
So far I have no problems with my S3, but it does not allow texting. Not sure if the S4 does or not. I haven't tried streaming like stated above, but all of the basic pairing is not a problem.

David
Old 06-20-2013, 01:58 PM
R/T owning member.

Vehicle: 2012 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:47
TriSum is on a distinguished road

I can't receive the text's either, maybe it is me. ???

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsdbs View Post
If you are on either Verizon or Sprint then texting doesn't work correctly on the S3 or the S4. You can receive messages but can't send them. On AT&T or T-mobile, it does work. The phone networks seems to be an issue, also on those 2 networks when there is an incoming message and the person is in your phonebook, Uconnect will say from "unknown number". This is because The network isn't sending the number correctly.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:38 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Limited
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:26
idefi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsdbs View Post
What exactly do you mean by this? As in talk to text does not work with the S4? Or is there a feature on my radio that I am missing, does Uconnect actually read you your texts?
Old 07-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Bright White w/White Gold stripe
Rep:11
jdftwrth is on a distinguished road

My cellphone contract was due to expire with AT&T on 8/1/13 and I had been looking around for a new cell phone that would work with uconnect, so Saturday I broke down and bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 and after fooling with it for the past couple of days I got it to read and send txt msgs via voice, kind of nice the way it works.

There is one anomaly that i need to get a handle on and it has to do with when you enter the truck and start it. It seems to take a while for the phone and uconnect to actually agree on what the capabilities the phone and the radio have.

I have music streaming app on the phone (radio365) and when i started it, the music started flowing to the radio (warning with AT&T streaming music to phone seems to have an adverse impact on data usage under the rate plan, you might want to monitor what effect it has on your rate plan for the carrier you use, otherwise you might get a nasty surprise on your next phone bill.

I am sure that over time the various smart phones / carriers / uconnect will get their act together but the feature does seem to be working.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:46 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Limited
Rep:26
idefi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdftwrth View Post
My cellphone contract was due to expire with AT&T on 8/1/13 and I had been looking around for a new cell phone that would work with uconnect, so Saturday I broke down and bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 and after fooling with it for the past couple of days I got it to read and send txt msgs via voice, kind of nice the way it works.

There is one anomaly that i need to get a handle on and it has to do with when you enter the truck and start it. It seems to take a while for the phone and uconnect to actually agree on what the capabilities the phone and the radio have.

I have music streaming app on the phone (radio365) and when i started it, the music started flowing to the radio (warning with AT&T streaming music to phone seems to have an adverse impact on data usage under the rate plan, you might want to monitor what effect it has on your rate plan for the carrier you use, otherwise you might get a nasty surprise on your next phone bill.

I am sure that over time the various smart phones / carriers / uconnect will get their act together but the feature does seem to be working.
Thank you for this input. I am looking to switch from my iPhone 5 to the S4 and this was about my only concern in doing so.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:21 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodg Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:148
JWM59 will become famous soon enoughJWM59 will become famous soon enough

I have AT&T. When I pair just my phone it works perfect. When I pair it with my music it periodically looses connection with phone and music. Frustrating, so I just keep an ipod hooked up. The ipod sounds much better than the blue tooth also.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I had ripped all of our CD's to mp3's along time ago so i dumped the entire library to a large usb stick (all 3000 tracks) and thats whats plugged into my usb port now, (who needs some stinking cd drive).
Old 07-09-2013, 08:52 AM

BT isn't a light switch, it doesn't just come on right away when you apply power to it. There are several things going on in the background for security reasons. BT needs to make sure that Uconnect is connecting to the right phone and not just any phone. Uconnect has to know what profiles the phone supports and doesn't support. Then after their handshake, the phone will download your contact information to Uconnect as well as any messages if the phone supports MAP. Then the A2DP for streaming audio is connected. Depending on how many contacts and numbers for those contacts that you have the bonding may take a minute or so. Some phones may take slightly longer and this is usually because of how the phone is sending information to Uconnect. If it's not in a supported fashion, then Uconnect will ask the phone to resend the information. If the phone continues to send it in an unsupported format, then Uconnect will either just go on or just not connect at all depending on the issue at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdftwrth View Post

Old 07-09-2013, 09:02 AM

There are unfortunately several problems with the 2013 Rams Uconnect system. The other thing is that "Uconnect" isn't just Uconnect. There are 3 different suppliers for the Uconnect system and some things work better with one supplier than one of the others. The Uconnect in the Ram is built by Magnetti Marelli (http://www.magnetimarelli.com/company) and the radio is by Panasonic.
Just curious about when it loses connection, do you see on the radio that BT is actually lost its connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWM59 View Post
I have AT&T. When I pair just my phone it works perfect. When I pair it with my music it periodically looses connection with phone and music. Frustrating, so I just keep an ipod hooked up. The ipod sounds much better than the blue tooth also.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

xsdbs -

Thanks for clarifying that handshaking process, I am understanding now!