DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 1ST Generation Dodge Ram 1993 & Older Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1995 1500
Color: green
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
ls1swap is on a distinguished road
Default no spark past coil 1995 1500 318

I have a 1995 ram 1500 318 215,000. was driving and it just died as if the key was shut off. troubleshooting i have fuel and spark at the coil but not at the plugs. what do members think it is? electronic ignition or timing chain? i have replaced all the spark plug wires.

thanks in advance
Sponsored links
Old 07-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Help cure Paulzheimer's

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Rep:1761
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

When you say no spark after the coil...is there spark between the coil and the dist? If that's the case it could be a faulty plug on the coil, or the coil itself.

So let me ask. Is there spark going into the dist from the coil?

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name
Old 07-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I get spark when i place a spark tester between the coil wire and center of the dist. if i place the tester between any spark plug wire and spark plug no spark. I am starting to guess pickup coil or timing chain
Old 07-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Help cure Paulzheimer's

Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future

You can rule out the timing chain completely.

I'd be willing to bet it's the pick-up. There are a couple other components in there that could do it. Make sure there's no play in the rotor shaft.

I'd personally pay $50 and get a used dist out of a running truck at a recycler.

DISCLAIMER
Old 07-08-2013, 02:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

why can I rule out the timing chain? I did replace the cam possition sensor and no change. sorry for taking so long to continue this thread i have been working 4 12 night shifts but i am off till friday now

on a second note I can hear a high pitch tone coming from the ECM when the kay is on is this normal????

Last edited by ls1swap; 07-08-2013 at 02:22 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Help cure Paulzheimer's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock III View Post
When you say no spark after the coil...is there spark between the coil and the dist? If that's the case it could be a faulty plug on the coil, or the coil itself.

Because the timing chain is a mechanical component of the engine that synchronizes the top of the engine (valves, lifters, dist etc...) with the bottom half of the engine (crank, pistons, etc...)

If the timing chain were stretched and/or the gears worn it may have skipped a tooth or two. However, you'd still have spark. Albeit at the wrong times and erratic, but there's still be spark.

No the ECM shouldn't make any high pitched whines.

DISCLAIMER

Last edited by Warlock III; 07-08-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: typos
Old 07-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

Not so sure it's that simple with a computer involved. The computer looks for the cam sensor signal from the distributor, and, in coordination with the crank sensor signal, determines ignition and fuel injection timing events. Without that information, or if the synch is off from a bad timing chain, I'm thinking the computer may not fire at all. I've run an older RAM ('84 Ramcharger 318) with jumped timing. It was rough, but got me home at a cost of a couple punctured rockers and some bent pushrods. There was no computer to step in and shut it down. It would really have to be a worn timing setup to jump timing. The fuel injection chains are much better than the earlier models, but it's still possible.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

my thinking is that the ecm is functioning otherwise there would be nothing to make the coil fire. so i am thinking now it is either the coils spark is too weak or the timing has jumped and its firing halfway between contacts in the distributor. my only question is where is this spark from the coil finding ground if not through the plugs????
Old 07-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Help cure Paulzheimer's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock III View Post

It's difficult to attempt assistance when I can't get a simple answer.

Good luck Gen1

DISCLAIMER
Old 07-09-2013, 11:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

Upon review, I agree with Warlock III. Even if the coil were weak you'd still get something. The power stops at the distributor. Whether it's a faulty part in the distributor or the distributor itself, there's your trouble.