DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-29-2013, 05:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Rep:71
topgun will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
so, which company is going to put the smaller cummins into their truck? sounds like a winner to me.
Nissan is getting the small Cummins. And they also got Fred Diaz a few months back, who was CEO of Ram.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:420
skytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really nice

Dodge's light duty small diesel carries the $2,850 premium price on TOP OF the cost of the Hemi 5.7 option. Remember, this is a light duty diesel and not to be even remotely confused with the mighty Cummins engine.
Diesel fuel cost on average 11% to 12% more per gallon plus the cost of urea. Don't forget to add in the more expensive oil and filter changes. Finally, driving a diesel forces you to develop a good deal of patience due to the relative lack of performance of the package.
If mpg is your major goal, the Pentastar engine is a far better economical choice. If towing is your objective, the Cummins is the clear choice. With the new 8 speed tranny, the 5.7 Hemi offers a valid balance of satisfying power, versatility and moderate economy plus the ever important fun factor.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:01 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Rep:71
topgun will become famous soon enough

This new diesel has more hp and a lot more torque than the older Ram Cummins engines that people rave about. As for performance, go and watch a review of this engine in the Jeep GC. The testers can't get over how quick it is. This is not some clunky slug of an engine. The oil changes are not bad either as the intervals are higher than a gasser. A lot of places, diesel is cheaper than gas, and rightly so because it is not as refined as gas. The DEF fluid is also relatively cheap when purchased at a truck stop. And it is supposed to have enough to last for an entire oil change so not really an issue. If you use the truck for towing, don't need the 800-850 ft lbs of torque of the Cummins, and don't like a screaming high reving Hemi when towing on hills, this is the answer. All the while getting almost double the mileage of a Hemi towing a heavy load. I think this engine will be a huge hit.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:36 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2014 dodge ram 1500 diesel
Rep:19
udontknowjack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun View Post
This new diesel has more hp and a lot more torque than the older Ram Cummins engines that people rave about. As for performance, go and watch a review of this engine in the Jeep GC. The testers can't get over how quick it is. This is not some clunky slug of an engine. The oil changes are not bad either as the intervals are higher than a gasser. A lot of places, diesel is cheaper than gas, and rightly so because it is not as refined as gas. The DEF fluid is also relatively cheap when purchased at a truck stop. And it is supposed to have enough to last for an entire oil change so not really an issue. If you use the truck for towing, don't need the 800-850 ft lbs of torque of the Cummins, and don't like a screaming high reving Hemi when towing on hills, this is the answer. All the while getting almost double the mileage of a Hemi towing a heavy load. I think this engine will be a huge hit.
thank you for answering for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytop View Post
Dodge's light duty small diesel carries the $2,850 premium price on TOP OF the cost of the Hemi 5.7 option. Remember, this is a light duty diesel and not to be even remotely confused with the mighty Cummins engine.
Diesel fuel cost on average 11% to 12% more per gallon plus the cost of urea. Don't forget to add in the more expensive oil and filter changes. Finally, driving a diesel forces you to develop a good deal of patience due to the relative lack of performance of the package.
If mpg is your major goal, the Pentastar engine is a far better economical choice. If towing is your objective, the Cummins is the clear choice. With the new 8 speed tranny, the 5.7 Hemi offers a valid balance of satisfying power, versatility and moderate economy plus the ever important fun factor.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:48 AM

Vehicle: '12 ram 3500
Trim Level: laramie limited
Color: mineral grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:29
scrappy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You have obviously NOT driven a modern diesel!
oil changes are more expensive BUT the OCI is LONGER that the gas truck. 10-15% more expensive fuel/DEF is more than offset by the greater fuel economy that it WILL get. And there is NO performance penalty to a diesel! in identical trucks, the diesel is stronger and faster than a comparable gas engine!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Rep:420
skytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really nice

Scrappy: No need to get excited. We are all Mopar friends.

The words performance and a 5,500 pound truck are not mutually synonymous with a small displacement diesel. I fail to grasp how you know so much about how the new little VM diesel drives and feels since it has not been released to the public yet. And please don't quote any media because we all should know what that is worth.
Buy your diesel and be happy.
You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. Nuff said.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:43 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram CrewCab
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:10
merve04 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy View Post
You have obviously NOT driven a modern diesel!
oil changes are more expensive BUT the OCI is LONGER that the gas truck. 10-15% more expensive fuel/DEF is more than offset by the greater fuel economy that it WILL get. And there is NO performance penalty to a diesel! in identical trucks, the diesel is stronger and faster than a comparable gas engine!
I will also take Topgun's side, I have a Jetta TDI, oil changes are further in between than my truck, here in the great white north, diesel is cheaper by 10cents a litre, or almost 40cents a gallon. Jetta dont need that other additive, so cant comment on that on what costs would be.

55L\14.5Gal tank gets me an easy 1000km\620mi

Acheiving those figures going 120Kmph\75mph is quite a feat for a diesel car, i dont think any gas job can keep up, this is hybrid territory at those numbers.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:45 AM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

I love forums and loyalty rants. I will definitely test one out when they hit our lots most definitely. I love my Hemi and that V8 rumble. As a mechanic to another, we always say, "Hey man, You do you and I'll do me".
Old 07-11-2013, 11:37 AM

Vehicle: 2012 RCSB Express
Rep:97
mikennrg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'm sure any difference in oil or filter changes will be offset by not having to buy 16 spark plugs.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 2500HD
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:563
Iqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikennrg View Post
I'm sure any difference in oil or filter changes will be offset by not having to buy 16 spark plugs.
That's where I was going with this.
People are complaining that diesel is more expensive to run, but diesels doesn't have a distributor cap, spark plug wires, spark plugs these are things that do go wrong and need maintenance the harder you drive the diesel the better it runs. Bottom line is buy what ever makes you happy what you need and move on. It doesn't matter what we buy someone is always going to find a flaw somewhere. Where there is a problem there is always a solution no matter what we drive.
Sorry for ranting on just getting tired of everyone crying the diesel is more expensive, the diesel cost more to maintain, the diesel fuel is more money we are all big boys and make our own choices unless we ask for help here some where in the forum.Just my two cents.

To many mods to list ask and I shall give you all the information, and help I can.
Everything from outside to interior.