DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 quad cab
Rep:10
Kakdiesel1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnsmith08 View Post
Just wanted to add my recent experience.
2010 ram quad cab with 3.55 gears. 75000 miles

Last December the exhaust manifold bolts snapped and long story short the dealership had to pull the passenger head and have the bolts drilled here at a local machine shop. I have been worried about this for the last few months and two weeks ago I put it to the test. I loaded up a 20' flat with our furniture as we are in the process of moving. In 100 degree temps here in Texas on a two hour drive
Coolant: 225
Oil: 235
Tranny:185
I thought the coolant and oil were high. I called the dealership and they reassured me they were normal. I am still a little bit worried about it so I am thinking about replacing the stat with a 180 degree.
Sounds pretty normal to me esp the Trans. If you notice there are tick marks where the normal temps should be. If you read my thread from our Cross Country trip, we were reaching 250 on the trans in the mountanous deserts of California. No warning lights but, I did have to let off it a lot and had to turn around before I got to the mountain. Outside ambient temps were 108F. We were going 35 MPH in the 70 and the Trans temp could have gone over 250 easily pulling a 16' trailer and Max Gross weight trailer and vehicle. As far as the coolant and engine oil, I think I averaged over that and no problems. Just had to adjust my driving. Anything over 2K RMP the temps rise with weight.
Of course, always use Mobil 1 synthetic.

Last edited by Kakdiesel1; 07-05-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT-Big Horn
Color: Blue, Sexy Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:66
seanbeckaroo will become famous soon enough

Installaing a 180 degree stat will not help your cooling temps; It is a switch, it simply opens up earlier than a stock stat. If you are running north of 200 degrees, it will run there regardless of what stat you have in there. If you are running 220+ on coolant, you could have a 160 stat in there and it won't make a difference. I believe you you can use the programmer to turn on the electric fan to a lower temp, basically the same as the 180 Thermostat Fairytale...
Old 07-09-2013, 06:00 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Oudoorsman
Color: White
Rep:39
Outdoorsman2012 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledman800 View Post
I have a 2010 1500 with 3.92 gears, i towed my 28' travel trailer and loaded it weighs about 7700 lbs, any time i hit the hills the engine temp would climb (250) along with the engine oil temp (250), the trans temp would be fine though. the ambient air temp was around 80, i checked the coolant level and all was good. I am just surprised at how easily the engine temp would climb as i had a 2006 ram that never even came close to heating up. i use the manual console shifter and kept the trans. in 4th gear has anyone else have something similar while towing?
I tow a 29' trailer, weighed it yesterday and it weighed 7420 with tongue weight. My engine oil temp would raise to near 230 when pulling and it would never lower. My coolant temp got to 215 once but cools quickly once getting off the hill. But no matter what I did I couldn't get the oil to cool once it hit a higher number. My trans was fine at approx 160s.

I installed the engine oil cooler below.

http://www.etrailer.com/Engine-Oil-C...le/D15405.html

Overall I like it. My temps seem to be approx 20-25 degrees cooler. It mounts up easy as I did the install last week. This seems to be what your looking for.

I wrote this up last night- has a little more info than what i posted.

Also so you know. I have a 2012 Outdoorsman QC 4x4 which has the tow package and all the cooling offered by ram. It also has load e range tires, to me it was the truck they built for towing.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Outdoorsman2012; 07-09-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:32 PM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbeckaroo View Post
Installaing a 180 degree stat will not help your cooling temps; It is a switch, it simply opens up earlier than a stock stat. If you are running north of 200 degrees, it will run there regardless of what stat you have in there. If you are running 220+ on coolant, you could have a 160 stat in there and it won't make a difference. I believe you you can use the programmer to turn on the electric fan to a lower temp, basically the same as the 180 Thermostat Fairytale...
It is no fairy tale, it does help cool your engine better. The thermostat opens at 180-185 for a reason...to keep it OPERATING at that temperature. It allows water to circulate through your engine earlier than a stock 203 thermostat. This means cool water from the radiator will circulate through the engine at 180 degrees instead of 203. It is then up to the fans to keep the water cool and assist the thermostat. A 180 tstat may get hotter under stress and rise above 200 degrees but it won't be as bad if it were starting form a temperature of 203. And I don't care what anybody....dealer, tech or who ever says, it's NOT good to run your engine at 235 degrees and above. If you are towing and it's running higher than normal temps then find a solution to the PROBLEM. That's what it is, a problem...find a fix whether it's add larger/extra coolers/finned pans or what...fix it. If anyone is having a temperature problem when towing, I suggest you try a 180 for yourself. Keeping your engine temps low is MUCH easier then trying to lower high engine temps. Ask any trans tech, for those who tow heavy it's always a good idea to install an aftermarket trans cooler on top of your cheezy oem cooler. If you are working your engine twice as hard then you should cool it twice as much. For those who have tuners fans do help as long as you set them to come on and stay on to cool the water in the radiator when needed.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:39 PM

RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Outdoorsman2012, good tip. The SRT 392 comes stock with those coolers.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:52 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

The OP's issue is most likely air in the system. It's not the thermostat like said above. The stock thermostat is open well before the 250def F temps you are experiencing. Also it is not electric or clutch fan related since you are on the highway. Besides, your electric fan is running at 220deg F anyway. And the clutch fan is engaged at that temp as well.

I'd suggest having the dealer flush your cooling system. It can be very difficult to get all the air out. 250deg F is too hot for the engine...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
The OP's issue is most likely air in the system. It's not the thermostat like said above. The stock thermostat is open well before the 250def F temps you are experiencing. Also it is not electric or clutch fan related since you are on the highway. Besides, your electric fan is running at 220deg F anyway. And the clutch fan is engaged at that temp as well.

I'd suggest having the dealer flush your cooling system. It can be very difficult to get all the air out. 250deg F is too hot for the engine...
I hope you're not talking about me as said above. I don't think his over heating has anything to do with the thermostat. As I said, when you are working your truck twice as hard (twice the weight) you need twice the cooling on top of your cheezy oem coolers. He needs extra oil and transmission coolers period. If you think he doesn't need extra cooling then you're an idiot (no offense). And second, if you think that a 180 tstat is a fairy tale then remove yours and put your stock one back in. It's not a fix for overheating, it's a solution to help keep your engine operate at a lower temps and it does help.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
It is no fairy tale, it does help cool your engine better. The thermostat opens at 180-185 for a reason...to keep it OPERATING at that temperature. It allows water to circulate through your engine earlier than a stock 203 thermostat. This means cool water from the radiator will circulate through the engine at 180 degrees instead of 203. It is then up to the fans to keep the water cool and assist the thermostat. A 180 tstat may get hotter under stress and rise above 200 degrees but it won't be as bad if it were starting form a temperature of 203. And I don't care what anybody....dealer, tech or who ever says, it's NOT good to run your engine at 235 degrees and above. If you are towing and it's running higher than normal temps then find a solution to the PROBLEM. That's what it is, a problem...find a fix whether it's add larger/extra coolers/finned pans or what...fix it. If anyone is having a temperature problem when towing, I suggest you try a 180 for yourself. Keeping your engine temps low is MUCH easier then trying to lower high engine temps. Ask any trans tech, for those who tow heavy it's always a good idea to install an aftermarket trans cooler on top of your cheezy oem cooler. If you are working your engine twice as hard then you should cool it twice as much. For those who have tuners fans do help as long as you set them to come on and stay on to cool the water in the radiator when needed.

I totally agree with your post, not sure why other than chrysler deciding that higher running temps on the engine is for new emission standards, but I would like to install a 180 t-stat myself, my truck runs at 203-205 F water temp and 212-215 F oil temp when empty, I have not pulled my TT yet but I can't imagine that the temps mentioned in this thread would do your engine any good. I enquired at my dealer about a 180 t-stat and they advised me not to do it because it may throw a code for the engine running too cool.......Really? Since when is 180 F too cool when it's blazing hot in the summer?
Old 07-10-2013, 03:56 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT-Big Horn
Color: Blue, Sexy Blue
Rep:66
seanbeckaroo will become famous soon enough

Again, to those with no thermodynamics background; the 180 stat MAY run a few degrees cooler during NORMAL driving conditions, but offers no engine protection compared to the stock thermostat temperature operating range.

While towing heavy loads in hot temps, the thermostat Stock 203 or 180 will ALREADY be FULL open, leaving your fan and airflow to cool. A Thermostat does not cool anything, it is either open or closed. Once the temp reaches 185, the thermostat SHOULD be full open any the fans and air cool the radiator. If it is 90, and you are pulling 7000lbs, I'll eat a cat-shit sandwich if your truck run 180! There is NO scientific evidence to back up this fairytale. Run your stock stat, check your fans to make sure they are engaging, and check for air in the coolant system. Your stock fan, and cooling system can handle the limits of your towing.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbeckaroo View Post
Again, to those with no thermodynamics background; the 180 stat MAY run a few degrees cooler during NORMAL driving conditions, but offers no engine protection compared to the stock thermostat temperature operating range.

While towing heavy loads in hot temps, the thermostat Stock 203 or 180 will ALREADY be FULL open, leaving your fan and airflow to cool. A Thermostat does not cool anything, it is either open or closed. Once the temp reaches 185, the thermostat SHOULD be full open any the fans and air cool the radiator. If it is 90, and you are pulling 7000lbs, I'll eat a cat-shit sandwich if your truck run 180! There is NO scientific evidence to back up this fairytale. Run your stock stat, check your fans to make sure they are engaging, and check for air in the coolant system. Your stock fan, and cooling system can handle the limits of your towing.
I don't profess to have infinite knowledge when it comes to thermodynamics, but I happen to agree with Radioflyer with having a headstart on the cooling when it comes to hot days towing, I always give my truck a break and tow at 55-60 mph anyways. With a 23 degree head-start stands to reason though.