DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-10-2013, 06:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterdriver View Post
I don't profess to have infinite knowledge when it comes to thermodynamics, but I happen to agree with Radioflyer with having a headstart on the cooling when it comes to hot days towing, I always give my truck a break and tow at 55-60 mph anyways. With a 23 degree head-start stands to reason though.
Thank you, and don't forget about the oil cooler thanks to that member mentioning it earlier. Headstart, that's a good way too put it....I should have thought of that. Btw, I sometimes tow heavy equipment at 60 mph and on but it's been a while. Temps are 180 to 185 24/7 whether towing or not. Granted it's not like I'm towing up the Grapevine in Calif where I'm sure the temps would rise. Too bad I'm not in Canada, I'd like to watch someone eat a catshit sandwich.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:18 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Oudoorsman
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:39
Outdoorsman2012 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
Thank you, and don't forget about the oil cooler thanks to that member mentioning it earlier. Headstart, that's a good way too put it....I should have thought of that. Btw, I sometimes tow heavy equipment at 60 mph and on but it's been a while. Temps are 180 to 185 24/7 whether towing or not. Granted it's not like I'm towing up the Grapevine in Calif where I'm sure the temps would rise. Too bad I'm not in Canada, I'd like to watch someone eat a catshit sandwich.
I truthfully see both sides of this discussion. Yes you do get a head start on cooling but if the cooling can't keep up which it isn't if your seeing 250 degree temps you have issues. Will a 180 thermostat help if your seeing temps in the 220s and want them to lower to 210s, probably. But will it help if your seeing the 250s and want to be back in the 200s, most likely no. The OP is in a very different boat then I as he had much higher temps but with those temps most likely he would need a larger cooler of somesort or diagnose an issue with his cooling. Could the 180 thermostat have worked for me maybe, but i'm heard some bad things about it and cold weather so i decided not to go that route and to try to add the additional cooler.

Now with the additional cooler also come more fluid which helps with cooling as there is now more fluid to absorb the higher temps.

I personally think these are both solutions but will work for different situations. The thermostat is probably the cheaper and easier way but may not work for the OP.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:57 PM

RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Are there any other members on here running a 180 tstat with temperature problems when towing beside the OP? It sure would help to hear from others besides me. I don't have any temp problems but I am just one person. What about someone else with a 180 tstat? I'm not saying that because they have a 180 there won't be any. I just want hear other towing related stories so we can put this to rest. If you did then what did you do to remedy the problem if so? I'm looking for people with a 180 tstat that reaches high 235-250 temps when they tow. Any out there, please step up.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:19 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

seanbeckaroo is 100% correct. You guys just refuse to be wrong. Nobody is arguing that a 180tstat is a bad mod for the cooling system, but is not his problem. Whether he has a 180 or stock 205 IIRC he should not be hitting 250 as he has full coolant circulation(or should have it anyway).

I have a 180 in my truck and when I towed this spring I hit something around 230deg F. I believe there is air in my cooling system as I didn't have the dealer flush it after wards.

Also, our trucks don't have oil coolers from the factory.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
seanbeckaroo is 100% correct. You guys just refuse to be wrong. Nobody is arguing that a 180tstat is a bad mod for the cooling system, but is not his problem.
I SAID THAT IT WILL NOT SOLVE THE OP's OVERHEATING. I ALSO SAID THAT HE NEEDS EXTRA COOLING....everyone who tows 7000 plus lbs should. I ALSO SAID A 180 TSTAT IS NOT A CURE FOR HIS OVERHEATING. YOU CALL ME A LIAR THEN SHOW ME MY QOUTE WHERE I SAID DIFFERENT. I SAID...Those who overheating when towing have a PROBLEM...PERIOD get extra cooling period! And show me an old post of your truck running these temps with your 180 tstat and I'LL believe you...you are biased to this topic top say the least. And since you believe him what are you doing with a 180 tstat in the first place? I'M saying that it is NOT A FAIRYTALE!
Old 07-10-2013, 09:29 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

sorry man if I misread I'm on a phone...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I hope you're not talking about me as said above. I don't think his over heating has anything to do with the thermostat. As I said, when you are working your truck twice as hard (twice the weight) you need twice the cooling on top of your cheezy oem coolers. He needs extra oil and transmission coolers period. If you think he doesn't need extra cooling then you're an idiot (no offense). And second, if you think that a 180 tstat is a fairy tale then remove yours and put your stock one back in. It's not a fix for overheating, it's a solution to help keep your engine operate at a lower temps and it does help.
Where in here do I say the 180 tstat will cure the overheating?
Old 07-10-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
It is no fairy tale, it does help cool your engine better. The thermostat opens at 180-185 for a reason...to keep it OPERATING at that temperature. It allows water to circulate through your engine earlier than a stock 203 thermostat. This means cool water from the radiator will circulate through the engine at 180 degrees instead of 203. It is then up to the fans to keep the water cool and assist the thermostat. A 180 tstat may get hotter under stress and rise above 200 degrees but it won't be as bad if it were starting form a temperature of 203. And I don't care what anybody....dealer, tech or who ever says, it's NOT good to run your engine at 235 degrees and above. If you are towing and it's running higher than normal temps then find a solution to the PROBLEM. That's what it is, a problem...find a fix whether it's add larger/extra coolers/finned pans or what...fix it. If anyone is having a temperature problem when towing, I suggest you try a 180 for yourself. Keeping your engine temps low is MUCH easier then trying to lower high engine temps. Ask any trans tech, for those who tow heavy it's always a good idea to install an aftermarket trans cooler on top of your cheezy oem cooler. If you are working your engine twice as hard then you should cool it twice as much. For those who have tuners fans do help as long as you set them to come on and stay on to cool the water in the radiator when needed.
Is it in here where I say the tsat will stop it from overheating?
Old 07-10-2013, 09:48 PM

The primary job of a thermostat is to keep the engine running as close as possible to it's specified temps whether it is a 180, 180 or 203....certainly NO LESS and hopefully NO MORE...PERIOD. If it runs higher than the specified temps then you have a PROBLEM....PROBLEM... PROBLEM...GET IT????????????????? I don't care if your towing or driving through the hotest desert on the planet...it should NOT OVER HEAT. Ask TCI their opinion about the Ram factory trans cooler to get a professional opinion. They're going to tell you that it's not enough for extreme duty and recommend an aftermarket cooler and maybe even an aluminum finned cooling pan for extra measurements. It's possible that there is air in his cooling system but highly unlikely with a new truck...I could be wrong. None the less, towing 7900 lbs is a no no without an extra stand alone trans cooler...IMO of course. Install one and it will most likely solve the problem.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:07 PM

The biggest fairytale here is that you don't need extra cooling with these trucks. It's also a fairytale that that a 180 tstat and oil cooler will not help keep your engine cooler. If I were the OP, I would install a 180 tsat, oil cooler to feel for himself. Then later down the road a trans cooler and maybe even a aluminum finned trans pan. I've been on this forum for 4 1/2 years and I don't remember seeing one complaint of over heating from a person running a 180 tstat.(I could have missed them) There are lots of people on here who think that a 180 tsat is harmful to your engine and I believe seanbeckaroo is one of them...pardon me if I'm wrong.