DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram – 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-15-2013, 10:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default REVIEWED: Bully's Performance® 85MM Ported TB [BP85TBR57]

A little backround first: Truth be known, throttle bodies [TB’s] have never really interested me in the past. I mean yes, sure, I knew what they did – or thought I did and what they were supposed to do – but it was a performance modification that you really couldn’t visualize every time you popped the hood or walked around the vehilce. Mods like a CAI or Handheld Tuner or LT Headers or Super Chargers or Catback Exhausts or Brembo® Brakes or…. well, you get the drift. I’m a visual person; always have been for the most part. Don’t tell me how good a product is, how much better it does or how much ponies it will give me if it doesn’t stand out from the norm, or, in this instance, looks [near] identical to the Original Equipment Manufacturer [OEM] part I’m swapping it for. I don’t buy it. At least I didn’t.

I first became seriously interested in TB’s on these very boards; at least to the degree where I spent some time researching them in depth. With all the [positive] feedback and talk of names like Fastman®, Moe’s®, and Bully's Performance® TB’s all over this board [and the like], my interested sparked and I began to read, ask questions, read some more and pick people’s brains. Threads like CdnoilRam’s [HERE] were very helpful with ampules of information it contains. I highly recommend you read it sometime if you haven’t already; that is if you’re interested in the same route I pursued or purely from an educational/knowledge stand-point.

Now somewhat armed and educated, I decided to make the plunge.

I contacted Andrew [fastNugly@bp] at Bully's Performance® as I was interested in an aftermarket TB for my truck and ready to make the move after weeks of research. We swapped several emails back and forth and just as many phone calls [more on Bully's Performance® later] over the course of several days. I knew what I wanted but after all my research, I still wasn’t certain as to the exact size to get to supplement my truck’s mods the best way possible. Based on my specific modifications [see my signature] and Andrew’s recommendations, it was quickly established, mutually, that Bully's Performance® 85MM Ported TB [BP85TBR57] was the way to go.

The day prior to the install, the engine oil [Amsoil Signature® 5W-20] and oil filter [Royal Purple® 20-820] was changed as it was near due. I use Shell® or Exxon® 87-grade fuel exclusively with a can of SeaFoam® added every third fill. Truck has a hair over 20K miles on the odometer without a single issue to date. I bypassed Chrysler’s Multi Displacement System [MDS] feature after the 4th day and ran the truck in 5th gear every time after that [more on that later]. Outside temperature over the seven days of testing was a hot and muggy 90-degrees Fahrenheit or greater, with at least 60-percent or higher humidity, every day.

Finally, let me add that I’m a big believer in vehicle performance modifications – and their effectiveness or lack thereof - being vehicle and/or owner specific. Meaning, what I encounter and ultimately forward is a reflection of/on my vehicle. Please remember that my review is based on MY modifications on MY truck as it sits today, reviewed by ME. All things equal, you’ll most probably experience near identical results as me; some may see better and some may not. However, when it comes to automobiles, not only are things of this nature subjective, but we all know that all things are [almost] never equal; so add that to your arsenal of this review’s accuracy and authenticity… as well as all previous and future reviews I post.

Here’s my review of Bully's Performance® 85MM Ported TB [BP85TBR57] AND my experience with Bully's Performance® from a consumer’s point of view --

Build & Quality & Construction – Top notch is the short and sweet answer. If the OEM TB that comes on the 4th Generation Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi is the standard by which to judge, then this unit is at the very least, on par. This is because the TB in review here IS an OEM Chrysler part that’s been machine bored out to a larger diameter by a shop of choice by Bully's Performance®. Honestly, if you were to put the two TB’s side by side on a bench, just from a visual stand-point, the naked eye would have a hard time identifying any differences from one to the other. We’re talking identical OEM stamped ID numbers and the whole shebang. Certified Chrysler Techs would have a difficult task identifying this as a non – from the factory – OEM Chrysler part. This kind of sits well with me for those times, should the need arise whenever, I have to take the vehicle in to my dealership’s Service Dept. for work. Think about it….

Ease of Installation / Fit n’ Finish – I don’t have the OEM intake setup as you can see in my signature, so take that into the [small] consideration when I talk of the ease of installation. The battery’s negative terminal was disconnected prior to starting and left that way purposely for no less than 1HR; well after the installation’s completion. Install was a breeze with no issues whatsoever in any way. Honestly, I didn’t time the installation, but I’d be shocked if it took me much more than about twenty minutes from start to finish. All you have to remember is to reverse the steps you took removing the OEM TB. Zero problems with perfect fitment. Everything came off with a breeze and went back on the exact same way. I wish I had of snapped pre and post pictures – I really didn’t see the point at the time given the installation’s no-brainer – because if I had of, it would have looked like a near mirror image of one another.

Post Installation Steps – Following the installation, over the course of almost 580 accumulated-miles over the first seven days of ownership/testing, I did the following based on recommendations – in no specific order - from Andrew at Bully's Performance®, my dealership’s Service Manager [whom I respect very much so] and research I did myself online. I’m not saying the steps below helped in any way, or did not, and I’ll probably never know, but it is what I did because it helped me sleep better at night. First, as mentioned earlier, the battery’s negative terminal was disconnected prior to the install and left that way for app. 45mins or so.

During and following the first 24HRS of installation/ownership, the steps below were taken as noted:

* Battery’s negative terminal disconnected for 1HR – one time every day over the first three days.
* OEM TB re-installed for an accurate comparison – once a day for two days [following the first three days]. This was a direct recommendation by Andrew at Bully's Performance® to accurately document anycomparisons and improvements; and I took a note out of Asur’s book [HERE] as well.
* Chrysler TB reset – once every day for the first four days -

1. Get in your car

2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position, i.e.: the position just before the starter turns over

3. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position slowly over app. 10 second lapse time

4. Hold the pedal to the floor for a full five seconds, then turn the key back to the "off" position (do not remove the key), then release the gas pedal at the same pace as the step above

5. Wait a minimum of 2MINS

6. Start & drive the vehicle as you normally would

* Altternate between aggressive and “normal” driving.
* Altternate between city and interstate driving.

Performance – First day, I saw no noticeable difference whether it be during normal driving or Wide Open Throttle [WOT]. Whether it was with MDS activated on the highway or MDS switched off in the city. Second day was the same issue and – truth be told – late that evening on the way back from a 110-mile local round trip, I was beginning to wonder whether I should have purchased the 87MM TB instead, or even worse, I threw away my $$$’s. Day three the truck came to life! I knew something was different pulling out of my driveway. I remember driving to one of my project houses and I was stopped at a red light. It was app. 11AM and I had no cars to the left of me, behind or up ahead for a good ¾ of a mile. Light turned green, I started rolling [I NEVER plant it off of a stand-still] and started planting my right foot towards the firewall. Wow! Truck pulled and pulled like it had never pulled before. That gradual build-up of power at WOT I use to have before [OEM TB] was now just power readily available and in your face. No gradual build-up. Just good hard pull and obvious power increase…. Nice! On the 4th day and up to this point, MDS was not activated whether it was during city or highway driving. Previously, I use to switch off MDS during city driving and activate it only when I hit the open interstate roads; I no longer do that and most probably will keep it that way. Why? With MDS switched off, whether it’s cruising around town or on the highway, the truck’s throttle response is significantly better than what it was with the OEM TB. This was a pleasant surprise asI didn't see it coming. Sure, throttle response is still better than it previously was with MDS activated but it’s light-n-day with MDS turned off. I was expecting improvements to some degree, though I had no idea how much, but I honestly didn’t think a app. $300.00 bolt-on part would make such a noticeable progress in performance. Let me also add that I was not an advocate of the “Hemi learning process” that many on these boards and the like speak of - when it comes to the truck’s ability and the vehicle’s on-board management computers to adjust to your specific driving habits - but clearly it has worked in this instance as after a few short days, it was light-n-day as if it learnt my driving habits. So I do recommend following similar steps should you go this route.

To this day, the improvements are evident as the very day the truck woke up; I now drive with a smile on my face and a face on my smile….. without MDS activated. I still haven’t turned on MDS. Why would I?

Fuel Economy Gains/Losses – Don’t know. Don’t care.

Bully’s Performance® Customer Service – I’ll be up front here: I approached another [reputable] vendor just prior to contacting Andrew at Bully's Performance®. However, after just one or two email exchanges with Andrew around the same period, I made up my mind I was doing business with Bully's Performance®. Andrew and I swapped a few emails back and forth before we actually spoke on the phone. Andrew put my mind at ease as to which TB I should go with: either the 85MM or the 87MM. After all my research, I still wasn’t 100% certain as to what size to go with. I wanted the correct TB for what I had on my truck [mods] at present. I told Andrew I had plans of LT Headers and maybe a Super Charger and some other goodies down the track, but nothing definitive in the near future. I would address the larger TB issue when that moment came and purchase the appropriate [larger] TB. Andrew suggested Bully's Performance® 85MM Ported TB [BP85TBR57] as the right fit for my application based on my feedback to him. Now think about this for a second: he could very easily have suggested the more expensive 87 MM TB to me and I would have happily bitten. But he treated this transaction with the customer’s best interest at heart as opposed to a numerical [profit] value for his company. He didn’t blow smoke up my arse one time. This, to me, is the epitome of customer service.

We agreed on the smaller TB and the transaction was successfully completed. Between the time the transaction went through, until the time it landed on my door step, Andrew kept in touch with me SEVERAL times whether it be thru email or cellphone; giving me updates of tracking information regularly. I told Andrew at the time of purchase that there was no hurry in having it shipped/delivered as I had a lot on my plate at the time and couldn’t get to it – even if it arrived – for a good week or so. He completely ignored this and made it his [personal] priority to get it to me ASAP. Remembering both our locations – a country apart – the item was delivered a few short days after the sale. I don’t really remember how many days exactly but I was away for several days a few short days following the purchase, and it was on my front door upon returning home’ always a pleasant and soothing sight.

Andrew’s professionalism is only [slightly] surpassed by his non-pressure approach towards customers.

As a consumer – just like you – I’m very satisfied with the service Bully's Performance® provided me and highly recommend them to anyone yet to deal with them. With the best prices on the ‘net – and a price match/better guarantee – it’s a win-win situation for all. Those who have also dealt with Bully's Performance® will know exactly where it is I’m coming from.

I have an aunt who’s been a very successful broker/realtor for over 15YRS throughout Northern Virginia; she has printed on her business cards and flyers the saying “Relationships Are Far More Important Than Transactions.” How fitting that saying is with regards to the way Bully's Performance® treated me.

In closing: I’m a very content consumer through and thru. This was one of – if not the – most pleasant transaction I’ve ever had purchasing anything on the ‘net over almost 15YRS of transactions thru various vendors. Add to that a top-shelf product that actually does do exactly what it should, well, you will not get anything but high praise from me in every area.

Kudos and thank you to Andrew and all the staff at Bully's Performance®.

This was a wise investment, IMHO.

If you’ve managed to get this far, then I thank you for taking the time to read. If you have any questions about anything I’ve commented on, or I missed something in particular that interests you or I just didn’t make sense somewhere along the line and you need clarification, then please post those questions here and I’ll address them promptly upon viewing it.

Again, thanks for reading.

Grub out.

Grub out!
Sponsored links
Old 07-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
ESP is on a distinguished road

great review. love the detail. Im eagerly awaiting my 85mm throttle body i picked up from andrew a little over a week ago. (canada always takes longer)
Old 07-18-2013, 05:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Deep Water Blue
RT10 is on a distinguished road

wow that was a read, very thorough
Old 07-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1990
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Great review as always Grub! I'm sure a lot of members (myself included) really appreciate the time and detail you put into your reviews like this. Tried giving you some reps but I have to spread them around more first. I'll hit you up as soon as I can.

I will second all of what you said towards Bully's Performance and Andrew specifically. I have never dealt with a better company either in person or online. Their customer service is by far the best I've ever had and as far as I'm concerned they are the only people I need to talk to regarding aftermarket parts. They always make it their priority to help you out as soon as possible and with great advice. Plus they have the best pricing I've seen.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover | 5000K Morimoto HID's (lows and fogs)
H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake | Instagram: @brandonjansen
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 07-18-2013, 11:53 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

Awesome review Grub! so glad you are liking the throttle body .

Thank you so much everyone for the kind words about Bully's Performance, and Andrew

Thanks
Jeremiah
Bully's Performance

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Thanks Grub

100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 07-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Color: Black
10sport is on a distinguished road

Great review, ordered mine from bully's yesterday. Hope to see it soon.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:38 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Express Quad
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Grey
Sideshow is on a distinguished road

Ported TBs are one of the best "seat of the pants" mods.
I had an 85mm in my Express and the throttle response was great.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:12 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:83
FeedMetal will become famous soon enough

great read. not gonna lie i didnt finish reading it tho hahaha. i got the just of it tho. nice review.

plan on getting my 87mm TB for my truck within the next month. seems like a lot little things to do after install tho. worth it tho
Old 08-05-2013, 11:05 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Rep:15
Fasthemiram11 is on a distinguished road

Wow... A lot of praise for a marked up modern muscle ported tb that has been around for years....