DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: bright white
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
The E-man is on a distinguished road
Default 4.7 V-8= Cylinder deactivation?

I didn't think the 4.7 had the cylinder shut off but the service manager said it most definitely did.
I had my '11 QC in last week for a check engine light, turns out the EGR valve was bad. DUring our conversation, he said the light could be an issue with the cylinder deactivation, I said its the 4.7 not the Hemi, he said, and I quote "Yeah, it's got that thing, the gas saver cylinder thing. It runs as a 4 cyl. at low loads" I said "The cylinder deactivation? I thought only the Hemi had that"

Was he wrong? Was I correct?
Sponsored links
Old 07-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

The 4.7 does not have MDS, only the Hemi has it, That being said, there is an aftermarket product to do this

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=139712

If he thinks that when the ECO light goes on its MDS being activated he is also incorrect, this is just a glorified sensor indicating you are presently using the 4.7 engine in the most economical way. Which had nothing to do with MDS (multi displacement system)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Displacement_System

Last edited by Asur; 07-15-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:13 PM

Vehicle: 2010 4.7l v8 4x4
Color: Black
Rep:160
Astartes has a spectacular aura aboutAstartes has a spectacular aura about

The cylinder deactivation is essentially the "MDS", and our 4.7l's do not have it. I did however find a post not too long ago in the 4.7l forum that claimed to have a bolt on that would close the cylinders. I believe he is still testing it though.
Greater love has no one than this, that a man lay down his life for his brothers. -John 15:13

My Mods
Old 07-15-2013, 07:16 PM

Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, still testing it lmao, the most I got was 14%, not the 22% they state, but still not so bad. But I believe with proper driving habits you can achieve a 10% fuel savings. Say 5000$ in fuel a year, thats a 500$ savings, which pays for itself. I am hitting mixed 13L/100klm regularly. I would say half/half
Old 07-15-2013, 07:18 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:632
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

you do not have mds and might want to have another tech or dealer working on your truck.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:19 PM

Vehicle: 2010 4.7l v8 4x4
Color: Black
Rep:160
Astartes has a spectacular aura aboutAstartes has a spectacular aura about

Ah ok lol, I hope that works out for you. I would consider investing in it if I had any type of electrical know-how
Greater love has no one than this, that a man lay down his life for his brothers. -John 15:13

My Mods
Old 07-16-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astartes View Post
Ah ok lol, I hope that works out for you. I would consider investing in it if I had any type of electrical know-how

Ya they say also its plug and play, but tell you its not for the beginner, you still have to cut into some wires and connect the whole thing up to your injectors, but for someone who has done some work like electrical stuff, radio installs etc, it can be done not so bad, it was easy for me but I can see how not easy it would be for anyone with limited knowledge about there vehicle and electronics, Even took me a while to figure out the TB wiring.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Color: bright white
Rep:10
The E-man is on a distinguished road

Thats what I thought I might not know tons about vehicles and mechanicals, but I sure as heck know what I read and have never read about the MDS on a 4.7
Thanks
Old 07-16-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The E-man View Post
Thats what I thought I might not know tons about vehicles and mechanicals, but I sure as heck know what I read and have never read about the MDS on a 4.7
Thanks
Yup, not from factory, only from after market