DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Satin Orange
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

It helps me in the rain and my engine specs are lower than 4G 5.7.

Last edited by TheSatinPumpkin; 10-07-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Western Brown
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
mdavis501 is on a distinguished road

I'm looking at a 2013 Longhorn that is 3.21:1 and no anti-spin option vs a 3.92:1 that does have the option. Since both are 4WD, can't I put the truck into 4WD instead of doing that braking dance? Doesn't 4WD make the anti-spin not necessary as far as getting stuck? Or....and I'm afraid this is the real answer, if you have 4WD and no-LSD, does only 1 tire turn on your axle even in 4wd! I bet that is the answer.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:22 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavis501 View Post
I'm looking at a 2013 Longhorn that is 3.21:1 and no anti-spin option vs a 3.92:1 that does have the option. Since both are 4WD, can't I put the truck into 4WD instead of doing that braking dance? Doesn't 4WD make the anti-spin not necessary as far as getting stuck? Or....and I'm afraid this is the real answer, if you have 4WD and no-LSD, does only 1 tire turn on your axle even in 4wd! I bet that is the answer.
You answered your own question. No LSD = 1 wheel peel...at each axle if in 4wd.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:14 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep:117
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavis501 View Post

It's all about proportions.
4WD drives all 4 wheels despite what some post here.
Unlocked diffs are equal torque designs, so if the friction and weight under your tire are close: you get the same power to all 4 wheels.
Think of it this way: Neither opposing wheel can receive more torque from the vehicle than it's connected opposing wheel. So if one rear wheel is on asphalt, and the other is on ice, the one on asphalt can not receive any more torque than the one on ice. Normal 4WD works so well, because the vehicle is moving and the weight loading on the wheels is constantly changing, giving the 4 wheels the "average" of the friction limit.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:52 PM

CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Stripe View Post
Unlocked diffs are equal torque designs, so if the friction and weight under your tire are close: you get the same power to all 4 wheels.
Think of it this way: Neither opposing wheel can receive more torque from the vehicle than it's connected opposing wheel. So if one rear wheel is on asphalt, and the other is on ice, the one on asphalt can not receive any more torque than the one on ice. Normal 4WD works so well, because the vehicle is moving and the weight loading on the wheels is constantly changing, giving the 4 wheels the "average" of the friction limit.
That's the point of lockers and LSDs...for when the friction and weight under the tires isn't close.

That has got to be the worst discription ever of an open diff and 4wd.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:19 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep:117
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough

I expect criticism from a post I might make in haste with bias or sarcasm from someone with a educated, legitimate counter view.
Since I wrote words of fact only, with no bias, or sarcasm, and you only try to attack what I wrote,
Please correct what I wrote that is not true.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:56 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Personally, I see no NEED for the LSD if you have 4x4.

With that said, I would take the 3.92 every time. Run FAR FAR away from the 3.21. I have had 3.55 and 3.92, I could not imagine how ungodly slow this thing would be with 3.21 and 4wd. holy hell.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 07-17-2013, 09:22 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

army, you might think differently if you lived in the snow/ice belt.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I expect criticism from a post I might make in haste with bias or sarcasm from someone with a educated, legitimate counter view.
Since I wrote words of fact only, with no bias, or sarcasm, and you only try to attack what I wrote,
Please correct what I wrote that is not true.
I'll start over since I didn't realize I was attacking your post. My apologies for being harsh.

It is my understanding that when a vehicle with an open differnetial encounters a low traction surface, it directs power to the wheel with the least amount of traction. This results in the wheel on the low traction side spining while the opposite wheel with high traction receives little to no power. This is due to the low traction wheel not providing proper resistance to the side gear to spin the carrier and transfer power to the oppposing wheel. The carrier pinion gears (also known as spider gears) and the carrier simply rotate around the side gear with the most traction and nothing gets passed on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
Personally, I see no NEED for the LSD if you have 4x4.

With that said, I would take the 3.92 every time. Run FAR FAR away from the 3.21. I have had 3.55 and 3.92, I could not imagine how ungodly slow this thing would be with 3.21 and 4wd. holy hell.
No need for an LSD...have you ever been to the beach or done any off-roading. There have been many times driving thru fields in CO with my Dad where his 3rd Gen would've benefited from a limited slip. Instead we had to back up and use more speed which isn't always the best answer and you are just more susceptible to breakage.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:31 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

are there any aftermarket lsd or lockers for our axles yet.