DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-18-2013, 06:01 AM
MOPAR or no Car

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 HD
Color: Red
Engine: 2014-20?? 392ci (6.4L) Hemi V8 410hp 429lb/ft
Rep:145
madhatr02 will become famous soon enoughmadhatr02 will become famous soon enough
Default Canada info needed

I had been talking on another thread to guy in Canada about my trip and he made some good points so I figured I would get some more info.

I am leaving in 1 month and driving to Canada on a Moose hunt.

Any suggestions, tips, ideas etc on things to do / not to do while in Canada?

I have been around the world but that was in the military. I will be traveling by myself.

I don't mean like sights to see, but one guy mentioned cell phones, never thought of that.

In Texas I drive 5mph over the speed limit everywhere I go and the cops don't even look twice. I will prepare to not do this and not exceed the speed limit but any other driving tips?

I am sure it is no big deal and will be boring but any advice would be appreciated.

2014 2500 HD
aka "Big Red"
Sponsored links
Old 07-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Sport Reg Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport Reg Cab
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:186
rdsabin has a spectacular aura aboutrdsabin has a spectacular aura about

Be prepared for expensive beer prices if you drink. If while driving you see a moose on the road and you have your headlights on stop and turn them off. They tend to not like the lights. Just enjoy the hunt and the people. I was stationed in Newfoundland for almost 2 years and loved it. Sad day when the US shut down the base there.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:36 AM
Team Bully

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 QC TRX4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1722
ShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant future

Where abouts are you going for the hunt? 5 mph over should be ok. If you are coming into BC you can not use your cell phone while driving unless you are using a hands free system. Fuel here be ready for the higher cost as well. Currently here in Victoria where there is no moose gas is at $5.39 a gallon and I am sure there are higher prices out there
Old 07-23-2013, 04:05 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatr02 View Post
I had been talking on another thread to guy in Canada about my trip and he made some good points so I figured I would get some more info.

I am leaving in 1 month and driving to Canada on a Moose hunt.

Any suggestions, tips, ideas etc on things to do / not to do while in Canada?

I have been around the world but that was in the military. I will be traveling by myself.

I don't mean like sights to see, but one guy mentioned cell phones, never thought of that.

In Texas I drive 5mph over the speed limit everywhere I go and the cops don't even look twice. I will prepare to not do this and not exceed the speed limit but any other driving tips?

I am sure it is no big deal and will be boring but any advice would be appreciated.
It all depends on where you are going in Canada.

For the most part speeding is not a big deal depending on how fast you go.

City streets I would suggest nothing more than 10KM an hour over....remember KM not miles!

The only real acceptation to that rule would be driving through a school zone during school hours.

If you are on a highway and the speed limit is posted at 100km, you are typically safe doing 115km/hr and in Toronto on the 401, 403, 407 120km is usually safe too.

Don't forget we are not a gun friendly country, so make sure to declare all your weapons that you are bringing with you.

Hand guns will likely not be allowed as we can't use those for hunting.

Stopping into a coffee shop for a coffee? If you drink your coffee with two sugar and two cream then just ask for a double double. If you want it with 3 sugars and 3 creams then its called a triple triple.

Oddly enough if you want 1 of each, it's just called a regular coffee. Sometimes you will be asked what that is, but for the most part people know.

We have 1 dollar coins called Loonies, and two dollar coins called Twoonies, the pennies have been discontinued.

If your total bill comes to say $5.03 they will round it up to $5.05. If it comes to $5.02 they will round it down to $5.00.

We also have new paper money that feels like plastic, but it's real. Be careful when giving that money to somebody because sometimes two bills will get stuck together.

Not that I think this has ever happened, but I've heard people claim that they got suckered when someone gave the Canadian Tire money as change.

Canadian Tire is a chain store across Canada, that has it's own "currency" if you will. Like I said I think it's more a story than fact, but thought that I would mention it.

I mentioned this to someone on here before, but make sure that you get a phone package from your home state rather than just jumping on our lines up here. If our carriers work like your carriers do, then you could end up losing your first born to the stupidly high rates when you get your bill once back home.

WiFi up here works as the same there. Get a password and join in for free.

McDonalds is a good place for free WiFi, but so is Starbucks and Tim Horton's.

Speaking of Tim Horton's. That has become a Canadian icon for some strange reason. Tim's is the coffee shop of choice for most of Canada, but Starbucks would be it's closest rival.....or visa versa. (west coasters don't get mad at me about that). LOL......

As mentioned, make sure that you don't use a hand held device of any kind whilst driving or else you will get ticketed. That includes using your phone as a GPS.

If I can think of anything else I will let you know, conversely if you have any questions just ask.

Enjoy your trip.

Last edited by RedSmart; 07-23-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:37 AM
MOPAR or no Car

madhatr02 will become famous soon enoughmadhatr02 will become famous soon enough

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you guys who took the time to respond. We are in the middle of trying to sell our house and work has been a........... well you know.

The salesman when I bought my Ram was very surprised when I got excited because just by pushing the selector I can go from MPH to KM.

I am going up to a place called Caroline...........not sure if that is the providence or town or city or whatever you guys call them LOL. I just know (thanks to this board) it is about 120km NW of Calgary.

I will be bow hunting which Canada does not require you to declare so no extra paperwork and Fees.

I don't think I will be going into town much and frankly outside of driving from the border to camp and back home again doubt I will be doing any driving. But again I am very unfamiliar with the area so not 100% sure what is around there.

It was mentioned before about the cell phone thing, the calling rates aren't bad with AT&T but the Data is Yikes.

Still trying to find out if I pay for WIFI in my Ram here in the US if it will work in Canada, gotta call them next week.

The gas thing REALLY sucks but luckily with the 32 gallon fuel tank if I fill up close to the border I should only need 1 tank to get back across the border.

Do most gas stations and stores that are along the highway take US dollars?? How will they give change??

Thanks for all of the help and info.

2014 2500 HD
aka "Big Red"
Old 07-23-2013, 11:24 PM

RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

They will gladly take your US dollars, but will give you Canadian currency back.

If you don't need money for anything other than gas, then I would just use my debit card or CC card.

Okay so here is a bit of a Canadian geography lesson for you (but said in a nice way, not a nasty way as it may seem) LOL.......

We have Provinces not States. We do have capital's for each province, and cities and towns too.

A city it typically a larger urban community where as a town is slightly smaller, with less political clout. You also have villages which are smaller than towns, and politically less important than that of a town.

Once you start talking Shires, then you are either in the UK or a Lord of the Rings movie?

It is called a province not Providence as in Rhode Island.

Caroline is a city that falls in between Calgary Alberta (Alberta being the province) and Edmonton Alberta (Edmonton being the capital).

Okay that's it for today's geography, tomorrow's class will be health sciences. LOL.....
Old 07-23-2013, 11:48 PM
Team Bully

ShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant future

More importantly what type of Bow are you shooting?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnC13 View Post
I think he is shooting moose??

Ba dum bump!

Okay that was bad, I'll go back to my corner! LOL.......
Old 07-24-2013, 12:57 AM
Team Bully

15 minute time out!!! You are giving us Canadians a bad name
Old 07-24-2013, 02:57 AM
MOPAR or no Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnC13 View Post
Hoyt Spyder Turbo

2014 2500 HD
aka "Big Red"