DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-19-2013, 10:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: White 2013 QC 4x4 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
Irv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman2012 View Post
I have the 2012 outdoorsman QC 4x4, I know stuff may have changed but the outdoorsman package was more of the stock heavy towing package. Came with the 3.92 axle e range tires all the heavy duty cooling. I have the engine oil cooler stock and also the one I installed. I tow a 7420 lb camper and was running 220-230 engine oil temp. I never saw this temp go down once it reached a certain temp pulling a grade it would hold it until the next grade and rise again and hold that temp. This worried me as I thought that it may get to high and the reason I installed the additional cooler. I know run about 180-185 empty and 205 towing. Which is about 20-25 degrees cooler but have still yet to see any temp drop even with the additional cooler.
My kit is the 15405 which keeps the stock location for the oil filter. E trailer even has a video of the install. They seem like a very knowledgeable company. If I were you and no one had anything else was able to help I would ask e trailer if you could buy the cooler but use it only to relocate the oil filter.

If you don't plan on towing anything of that weight I agree that the kit may be useless to you but if you do tow I would really look into installing the cooler also. My truck rarely goes above 3k RPMs towing the trailer so I know its more than capable but I'm starting to venture further out into the big mountains and wanted the reassurance that I could keep things cooler. If I was typically running 4k rpms plus I would know it wasn't the cooler but I've seen 3.5k rpms once and that was with cruise control and it caught me off guard. For towing greater weight I feel the engine oil needs additional cooling. My coolant twmp doesn't really budge and when it does the temps drop quickly. The highest temp the trans has seen was 172 was when I forgot to hit the tow/haul button, once I engaged it temp dropped to low 160s. Hope this info helps
I don't blame you one bit ODM for adding some extra based on what you say above, if I was in a similar circumstance, I likely would as well.

I hardly tow anything of significance, mostly just a snowmobile trailer in the winter, so the need for extra cooling at this point is N/R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010renegade View Post
One I found, http://www.tdperformance.com Trans-Dapt Single Filter Relocation Systems
Trans-Dapt introduced oil filter relocation products back in the early 70's. Each kit comes complete with an oil filter bypass adapter, cast aluminum remote OIL FILTER base, oil sending and return lines, pre-installed hose fittings, filter nipples and mounting hardware.

1127 Single Oil Filter Relocation System; 2-1/2" I.D. and 2-3/4" O.D. Bypass Flange w/ 22mmX1.5 Threads 22mmX1.5 2-1/2" 2-3/4"
I checked that one out but seen it only goes to 2011 and it only shows Chevrolet as the only application?
I may e-mail/contact them to see if the carry any for the Ram, but when you click on "make of vehicle" Chev is the only one it shows?
Old 07-19-2013, 01:06 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Oudoorsman
Rep:39
Outdoorsman2012 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Irv;1154146]I don't blame you one bit ODM for adding some extra based on what you say above, if I was in a similar circumstance, I likely would as well.

I hardly tow anything of significance, mostly just a snowmobile trailer in the winter, so the need for extra cooling at this point is N/R.

Can't blame you, if you don't need it why have it, also added about a quart extra oil capacity.

I would assume that the oil cooler with the remote oil filter location would work. Just run the hoses to the filter and forget about the cooler. Btw I'm very happy with the construction of the cooler along with the parts that came with it
Old 07-19-2013, 03:40 PM

Vehicle: White 2013 QC 4x4 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Rep:14
Irv is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Outdoorsman2012;1154296]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv View Post
I don't blame you one bit ODM for adding some extra based on what you say above, if I was in a similar circumstance, I likely would as well.

Can't blame you, if you don't need it why have it, also added about a quart extra oil capacity.

I would assume that the oil cooler with the remote oil filter location would work. Just run the hoses to the filter and forget about the cooler. Btw I'm very happy with the construction of the cooler along with the parts that came with it
The extra oil would definitely be a bonus, and I may just look into it based an what you say about it.

Thanks for the info
Old 07-19-2013, 03:58 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crew cab
Trim Level: Sport, loaded
Color: Obsidian Black Pearl
Rep:112
Divi will become famous soon enoughDivi will become famous soon enough

you havent tried to change oil on a 4thgen subari wrx have you? now thats a bitch. The ram is a piece o cake.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:12 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:20
PaulBx is on a distinguished road

FWIW (I know this thread is old) Amsoil makes a "dual remote" bypass filter setup that has both a standard amsoil fullflow filter and a bypass filter on it. I mounted one on my old VW Passat on a vertical plate I put in the engine compartment so that the filters were hanging from the fitting. This made for splash-free oil changes, and I could also pre-fill the filters before putting them on so the engine didn't have to run dry for a while, loading filters with oil.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=BMK23-EA

I wonder what this does to warranty claims though.

I'm still scratching my head, trying to find the filter for the 3.6L engine...
Old 03-09-2014, 04:27 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge ram crew cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:10
Fireblade8 is on a distinguished road

I had a relocater on an old chev s10 I had years ago. What a great invention
Old 03-09-2014, 09:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew Cab
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:13
MF2000 is on a distinguished road

It may or may not apply, but a very intelligent engine and car builder recently told me to be very cautious of cheap oil filter relo kits. I don't remember his exact words, but basically what he was saying is the cheap ones use a blockoff plate and they hose over to the remote location. the problem is the hose is small surface area and creates a huge restriction.......starving the engine of oil. I trust him 100% and would only consider a high end kit for my ride.