DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Rep:10
Fresh12 is on a distinguished road
Default Tire Valve Stem broken (known problem!?)

The tip of my valve stem where you would screw the cap on, broke off. I've read this a known issue. I was able to duct tape it for now and it has been fine for a week with a slow leak. Problem is that Tires Plus wants $100 to fix this which seems crazy. They said I would have to replace the entire stem with the sensor. Is this true? I found the stem online for $5. Why does the sensor need to be replaced too? I'm hoping you can help me out here. I'm thinking I can just order the piece online other than pay $100? Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 05-30-2011, 01:26 PM
erm

The TPMS sensor and valve stem are one integrated assembly. You don't have two parts there.

I have not heard that there was a problem with the stems before.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Old 05-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Fresh12 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully you guys can help me get exactly what I'm looking for. I'm guessing this isn't it?

http://www.carparts.com/details/Dodg...ormanrb9740001
Old 05-30-2011, 01:41 PM
erm

Ya know...I am not sure. I don't have TPMS on my truck and the TPMS units on my SRT look a lot different.

Remember, these operate on a wireless frequency and the TPMS unit needs to send on the right one to the receiver or it won't work.

I'd talk to a tire and wheel shop locally. They may be able to fix this for a lot less than $100 and make sure you get the right unit.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 09 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST 4X4
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:24
RAMitDOWN is on a distinguished road

It is/was a known problem when a metal cap is used because they corrode then you are unable to remove the cap without ruining the stem.
If you take a look at the dealer you will see "all" Rams have plastic valve stem caps.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=56128&page=3
Old 05-30-2011, 05:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh12 View Post
The tip of my valve stem where you would screw the cap on, broke off. I've read this a known issue. I was able to duct tape it for now and it has been fine for a week with a slow leak. Problem is that Tires Plus wants $100 to fix this which seems crazy. They said I would have to replace the entire stem with the sensor. Is this true? I found the stem online for $5. Why does the sensor need to be replaced too? I'm hoping you can help me out here. I'm thinking I can just order the piece online other than pay $100? Thanks!
Hi and a warm Carolina welcome to the best RAM ForumZ on the web. How about posting a few photos of your truck? I've just replaced a few on one of my vehicles and the TPMS did unscrew to allow replacement if the valve stem. Go for the part you have on eBay. Any tire dealer should be able to do the replacement.

Hey, on another note since you're new to the site how about using the link in my SIG to jump over to the Newbie Checkin and introducing yourself and post a few photos for us?
Old 07-19-2013, 09:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Gray
drumstick54 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Valve stem defect potentially fatal.

My 2009 Ram has those el cheapo valve stem shrouds that shatter when corrosion gets between them and the stem. I found out the hard way that my life and the lives of everyone who drives with this system are in jeopardy. When checking the air in my steers the shroud broke and I didn't know what it was. I drove it to a repair shop and when turning into the parking lot, the stem broke altogether and my tire went flat immediately. Fortunately for me and others on the road, it happened at a low speed but if it had happened at 55 or above, it could have caused a very bad accident. The repair man told me he had seen many of these and had replaced the entire assembly which included the sensor. The unit costs over $60.00 plus labor. When I confronted my dealership with this, I was told that there had been no safety recall and that I had to pay for the replacements myself. So, I bought a vehicle that lists for over $38,000 and the whole thing depends on 39 cents worth of plastic? To say I'm disenchanted with Dodge would be an understatement. My advice is for everyone to check these stems and if possible, replace them with the rubber stem and sensor assemblies. The life you save may be your own.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Gray
drumstick54 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Plastic or metal valve caps.

The valve caps on my 2009 Ram were all plastic and the stem still corroded to the point of breaking apart. Apparently, it doesn't matter which one you have. My advice is to replace all of them, even though it will be expensive. It's better than dying on the road at 55 mph from a blowout on your steering axle.