DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-21-2013, 01:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
IBEWSteve is on a distinguished road
Default Subwoofer Install, Dual SA 8 Ported vs Dual SA 10 Sealed

I've got a 2012 Crew Cab Sport with the Alpine System and I am fairly new to the audio game. I have been looking for a good configuration, but I can't make any major decision without consulting my comrades in the forum.

I am looking for a fairly versatile system so I can get tight bass and decent lows, with overwhelming volume outside of the vehicle not being a priority. I have seen nothing but good stuff about the Sundown SA 8 and SA 10. My major question is, should I do 2 8's in a ported enclosure, or 2 10's in a sealed? I don't want to make it so black/white, but is it really just the ported 8's would be louder (most likely) and the sealed 10's would be slightly more accurate, tight bass?

In terms of space, I fully intend on taking out that sorry excuse of a Alpine sub out, and replace it with whatever I install. If I do 2 ported 8's, I think I can get them both on passenger side, but the 10's would definitely monopolize all under seat real estate.

I would also like to keep my stock HU.

Once I decide on the sub config, I will be able to work with NetAudio a little more and get this thing taken care of.

How much difference is 2ohm from 1ohm? Obviously, the 1ohm is louder, but I think it makes a difference then between the D4 and the D2...

I appreciate any input, thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 07-21-2013, 02:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:83
FeedMetal will become famous soon enough

why dont you just go with one 12 or 10 with a 2 channel amp? just up the wattage. i personally like 12" subs.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:01 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Rep:63
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough

^^Agreed. One mid grade 12" sub sounds great and will keep up with just about any audio system. Sealed box is the only way to go imo, they produce much cleaner sound. My last car came with a pretty nice Alpine system that had 2 6.5" in rear, 2 6x9's in the dooor powered by their own amp for bass. Then it had tweets and midranges mounted above the 6x9's.. I added one 12" sub and a 300 watt amp. It worked out perfect. Very clear, clean and loud in the car. If you were standing beside the car, you barely could tell it had a system if the windows were rolled up. No shoe in the dryer thump, thump b.s.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:44 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Midnight Blue
Rep:120
nopaydave will become famous soon enoughnopaydave will become famous soon enough

Since I have been looking for the same thing I thought I would chime in here....
Now that I replaced my fronts and disconnected my Center (by far the biggest Alpine improvement yet). I'm looking for the same thing but as others have said (above), I'm looking for a decent mid priced single speaker. There are a lot to chose from so that's not a big problem.

My challenge is the enclosure. The stock one is a waste and I don't want to do any extreme mods just to replace my Sub. I also need to add an amp and then have a way to adjust it. Most of what I find are two speaker enclosures which involve back seat Mods and I'm not sure where I would pull/run the power for the amp.

So.....Why do they call you Nopaydave anyway?

Buy me a beer and I'll tell you....

2012 Outdoorsman, 4X4 Hemi, Rambox and Loaded with lots of extras.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:51 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 1500 quadcab 4x4
Trim Level: bighorn
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:20
boomer is on a distinguished road

i bought a daul 10" box, mounts under my backseat no adjustments and i stuffed a 1200w sony amp under the back seat as well. a lil cramped but no issues with heat ect... if i had a smaller amp I'd mount it under one of the front seats. Heres a link to the box I went with and yes I am happy with the sound, not much of it can be heard outside but it definaty shakes up the inside, especially when sitting in the back. I went with sony explode subs because i got a deal on them used from a friend. Imo kicker cant be beat, but pioneer is a cheaper route for good sound, just get a high wattage rating

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2012-DO...813da3&vxp=mtr
Old 07-21-2013, 03:38 PM

Sorry that one is for a daul 12" box but you get the idea, should be a link from there for simular boxes for 8" and 10"s
Old 07-21-2013, 05:11 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:184
bstc00 has a spectacular aura aboutbstc00 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBEWSteve View Post
I've got a 2012 Crew Cab Sport with the Alpine System and I am fairly new to the audio game. I have been looking for a good configuration, but I can't make any major decision without consulting my comrades in the forum.

I am looking for a fairly versatile system so I can get tight bass and decent lows, with overwhelming volume outside of the vehicle not being a priority. I have seen nothing but good stuff about the Sundown SA 8 and SA 10. My major question is, should I do 2 8's in a ported enclosure, or 2 10's in a sealed? I don't want to make it so black/white, but is it really just the ported 8's would be louder (most likely) and the sealed 10's would be slightly more accurate, tight bass?

In terms of space, I fully intend on taking out that sorry excuse of a Alpine sub out, and replace it with whatever I install. If I do 2 ported 8's, I think I can get them both on passenger side, but the 10's would definitely monopolize all under seat real estate.

I would also like to keep my stock HU.

Once I decide on the sub config, I will be able to work with NetAudio a little more and get this thing taken care of.

How much difference is 2ohm from 1ohm? Obviously, the 1ohm is louder, but I think it makes a difference then between the D4 and the D2...

I appreciate any input, thanks!
If you are aren't looking for overwhelming bass I would say just go with one of any of the sa 8, 10, 12 as all three of them can deliver crazy amounts of bass. 500 rms for the 8 and 600 rms for the 10, 12.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:09 PM

This is all great information so far. @ nopaydave, I think the 12" dual sub setup is the only one that requires seat spacers and mods, but on the bright side, the foxbox for 12"s comes with spacers and from what i read, just by adding those, you automatically get the bonus of the back seat folding forwards all the way so you get 3-4"s of clearance, perfect for an amp. If you're thinking of only doing an 8 or a 10 sub, then I think seat mods are out of the question. (I could be wrong.)

As for everyone who suggests the 12" single sub setup, I guess my inexperience is what is causing me to be hesitant here. My last vehicle, I had 1 10" MTX 7500 running @ 2ohms on 400W, and it was good, but not great. Had I not got my truck, I definitely would have upgraded to 2 10"s and not 2 12's. I have it stuck in my head that the smaller subs are more responsive, and if you're listening to faster paced music, as opposed to something like Rap, then the smaller sub would be better for this. It just wouldn't hit crazy lows.

I am down for getting just 1 12", but inside my head I say "Why not get 2?" because I a can't contain my curiosity.

In any instance, I have only had sealed boxes before and I have been happy with the tight sound. My question is, if the box is ported, besides being louder, does it allow for the sub to hit lower tones? And, I have read that the Sundown's are meant for 1 type of enclosure better than the other, is that true?
Old 07-21-2013, 08:44 PM

If you get one high end 12, it'll sound better then 2 10"s i.m.o. or just as good. 8s delever a chrisp sound but they wont rock you seat, 12s wont be quite as chrisp but you will feel it more. So its just a question of personal prefferance. Like I mentioned the daul 10" box required no mods and thats what sold me on it. I'd love to upgrade to a kicker solobaric for the sound quaility (the square ones) but with the magnet size on them I have serious questions that they would ever be able to fit bigger then 2 8"s under the seat. Haven't seen any boxes made for them and a Ram though.
The notes that a sub will hit is mainly adjusted on your amp I'm not sure if ported or sealed box will make a differance, although ported boxes do seam to hit harder to me...But I could be wrong
Old 07-21-2013, 08:58 PM

I am pretty sure that if we make this black/white, we can say that ported means louder, and sealed means tighter bass. I think if I run 2 SA 8's, 10's or 12's in a sealed box, I can compensate for some of the loss in volume by pushing more power. From what I have read, these subs can take a hell of a lot of power. I think I have removed my mind from thinking of the 8's and now I am between the 10s or 12's. With the sealed box option, I think the 12's might be responsive enough to make me happy. In my head, they'll get me the SQ I want and more than enough DB to suffice.

The question now becomes, what amp do I run to my sealed SA- 12s?