DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > Other Vehicle Discussion

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:63
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough

If GM wants to do a retro look, they need to go back to the 69-70 model trucks. Those were the best body style they ever had imo. They failed in the styling of their truck line for the last two gens... Get the Camaro and Vette engineers to show them how to make a stylish retro body.

Last edited by S.C. Express; 07-22-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Prone to maundering

Vehicle: 2012 1500 reg. cab 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:3148
PaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.C. Express View Post
If GM wants to do a retro look, they need to go back to the 69-70 model trucks. Those were the best body style they ever had imo. They failed in the styling of their truck line for the last two gens... Get the Camaro and Vette engineers to show them how to make a stylish retro body.
Hell, even the mid to late 80's Chevy trucks looked good IMO. This excrement they are pushing on the truck buying public now is unexcusable! As you said, the 'Vette guys should talk to the truck guys and:
Old 07-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2505
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
Very true. But, IMO, the RAM is an absolutely beautiful truck, almost selling itself. With the Chevy, when you are trying to sell such a God-awful looking monstrosity of a truck, it had better be near-perfect!
A big ten four, I agree.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:25 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:963
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Yes I most certainly agree, Ram has the best looking design bar none. Although the GM front end looks a bit better than the last generation, why did GM decide to stick with those damn FUGLY SQUARE WHEEL WELLS!
Old 07-23-2013, 12:14 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Rep:464
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

I honestly haven't met a single person who likes the square wheel wells. Even people who own trucks that have them don't like them.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:51 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

like ford, you have die hard gmc fans that are going to buy whatever they put out. imo, the gmc, has, the "big rig" look in the front. they seemed to be trying to give their base buyers the look they have had while trying to attract some new buyers. remember, befor dodge took the lead in the design department, one could argue that dodge as the ugliest. ram owners are spoiled as we do have the nicest looking truck and nothing else looks good compared to our rams, but i don't mind the look of the 2014 gmc, but agree, the square wheel wells have to go.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:15 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytop View Post
New GM Sierra And Silverado Trucks Off To A Rough Start With Recall And Reports Of Issues

From article:
It's NOT a good day when you have to issue a recall on a new vehicle and it is ESPECIALLY painful when it's the most important product to your company that you've ever made.
First the public announcement...

GM has announced a recall (no charge to customers) of 800+ Sierra and Silverado Trucks out of the 40k already sold that have left the gate with a faulty airbag issue.

No big deal right?

Well, if it wasn't the most important product you've made since bankruptcy and if it fails you will probably go out of business, no.

But for THESE products that are under pressure like you wouldn't believe from the leader Ford and and a charging RAM, it MATTERS. You DO NOT want this kind of stuff happening. Because truck buyers want TOUGH and INDESTRUCTIBLE more than anything. But....breakdowns leaving reviewers stranded? Not good.

Now, what we're hearing in private...

One of the first review vehicles for the media didn't end happy. A writer from Autoblog was left STRANDED at a mall parking lot and the truck had to be towed. Not a good thing.

If you like real square and boxy old school design, with the 1994 twin stacked lights look, you will like the 2014 Chevy.

Okay I hate where our Sat antenna sits on the top of our RAM's, but now that I see where Chev is putting theirs.......well ours doesn't look so bad now!

It kind of looks like its sliding off the front of the truck. Looking at that every time I approached my truck would drive me nuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytop View Post
What I especially dislike with GM is that most all the design elements of the new 2014 pick up trucks are copied from the 'cheapie' little SUV and crossovers. The trucks not only look old, chunky and gaudy, but utilize dated key design cues from the 1980's and 1990's.
The new '14 trucks share the same DNA as their little SUV and crossover vehicles. Very poor design tactics. It's like their thinking is trapped inside of a dark box.

See what I mean:

This looks like a truck that is hiding something underneath.

Almost like it's an advertising trick, but instead of pulling a blanket off to do the big reveal, they are about to pull off all the square side mouldings??

Orrrrr..............James Bond is going to eject the sides of the truck with a flick of the button and is going to show off the Spark or Sonic underneath it.........but with machine guns and rocket launchers!?! LOL.....
Old 07-23-2013, 07:41 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

Lots of GM hating.... even for a RAM forum....

Don't get me wrong, I mostly agree with everything that has been said. I also didn't care for the Ram's up through and including the 3rd gens. They must've grown on me, as I found myself owning an '08 QC. I really liked the '08, though I think my '04 F150 rode better, it just didn't have the power.

When the newly redesigned '09 Rams came out I didn't like them, even a little bit. I thought that they were ugly, un-stylish, and a few other words that are not publishable. They too grew on me, and I started to like the looks of them. After I purchased my '10 CC, I've turned into a lover of the Ram. In my opinion there is not a better looking or better made truck on the road. It also has the best ride quality of any truck I've ever ridden in.

Perceptions change. We tend to evolve after we've looked at a product for awhile. Let's all give the new design a chance to take hold, and if it doesn't perhaps GM designers will figure it out, and actually design an attractive truck for a change.

What I'd like to see is a step side truck again. I've always liked the look of the stepside.

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 07-23-2013, 09:52 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Dark Cherry
Rep:161
anothernewb has a spectacular aura aboutanothernewb has a spectacular aura about

I drove 2 of the 14's before I bought the ram. I will go out on a limb and say that they look very nice in person.
However, coming from a GMC that gave me some issues (okay, well a lot of issues) I did go in kind of jaded.

What I can say,
GM reached deep and vastly improved this truck since the 06 I owned.
The power increase over the previous model is significant. The interior has everything at a comfortable location to reach, and the control feedback is positive enough that you do not have to take your eyes from the road. The cabin is quieter than the ram. road manners are excellent, easily on par with the ram.

However, the lights are not the only things that are lifted from 1994. I felt as if I was going to fall out of the seat in a turn. The leather work was top notch. beautiful even, but the seats just didn't "grab my but" like the competition. felt much more 90's bench like than bucket like. The same thing was felt by all 4 of us. That was really my biggest turn off. The transmission still isn't silky like the 8 speed or even the 6 from the Tundra. And my family felt that the crew cab was the smallest of the 4 trucks we tested.

Livin life one truck payment at a time.

Last edited by anothernewb; 07-23-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:28 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Rep:464
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

I've seen several of both the Chevy and the GMC in person. I think the GMC looks OK. Not great, but better than Ford and Toyota. The Chevy on the other hand is just downright ugly. They emphasized the square wheel wells even more and the grille is way too big. I also don't care for the chrome surrounding the headlights.

But aesthetics are entirely subjective. At least they finally made the 5.3 somewhat competitive for the first time in several years.