DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 1ST Generation Dodge Ram 1993 & Older Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-26-2013, 07:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1991 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Unknown
Color: Blue
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:10
Nabby is on a distinguished road
Default Odd engine sound

Well, here I am with yet another "what's this sound" thread, I know it's not easy to diagnose a sound without hearing it, but the type of sound and when it makes it is just odd to me. I'll record a vid later if need be. This is on a 91 318 TBI.
It first I thought the fan was hitting the shroud, but I can't seem to find it doing that. The sound is easily as fast as the engine speed, rather high pitched... if when you were a kid you ever put a playing card or some such in the spokes of your bike wheels, it's like that... or maybe something like putting a stick into the blades of a spinning fan.
But the kicker is, it doesn't do it at idle. At idle it purrs so nicely, and then I give it some throttle and it starts making this noise... then I let off the throttle, the engine rpm comes back down but the sound continues for another 5 to 10 seconds and then just goes away.
I really think it's too fast and too perfectly timed of a sound to be rod knock or a spun bearing. In my experience, you can hear how it's only 1 cylinder doing it, and some hits are louder than others and they tend to knock at slightly different moments each time around resulting in an erratic knocking.
It MAY be the harmonic balancer, but I've never heard one make such a perfectly consistent sound. Or, could it be an exhaust leak? I'm pretty sure I have one, but I would have expected that sound to be more deep and growly (I have a 77 running bare headers so I know what a worst case scenario exhaust leak sounds like). From watching youtube vids, I am wondering if timing chain slack or a timing chain tensioner could do this, because the sound is similar to the vids I've watched. Does this engine even have a TCT? I can't find one on O'Reilly or RockAuto for sale, and my FSM doesn't mention one.

Last edited by Nabby; 07-26-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 07-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

No, it does not have a TCT. That was not an OEM thing until late 90's, but it is an upgrade you can add. It was integrated into the camshaft thrust plate (on later Magnum engines), so it's a simple swap. I would not, however, use this tensioner with the stronger, more aggressive double roller timing chains since they'd likely eat the tensioner. Use your OEM FI chain with it. Here's one link.
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/timchainten.html
Even if the timing chain isn't making the noise, it's probably due for a change.
A small exhaust leak would make a popping sound.
Also consider a loose, or failing forward band in the transmission. Been adjusted lately?Would also consider that noise as a bad cat converter. First on list is timing chain.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1991 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Unknown
Color: Blue
Rep:10
Nabby is on a distinguished road

Weird thing is, my FSM (for 91 specifically) shows a thrust plate on the camshaft diagram, and talks about one in the cam sprocket replacement steps, but I can't find one on RockAuto, O'Reilly, Autozone, etc... kinda confused.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

Okay, the standard camshaft thrust plate does not wear out, so no need to replace it.
http://www.marketworks.com/storefron...158&i=11451517
You already have one on your engine. If you want to upgrade to the newer chain tensioner (The Mopar smallblock was produced for 30 years without a tensioner), use the link I already posted or this one or do a search. Look at the two and you can see how the tensioner is incorporated into the original plate design.
http://www.marketworks.com/storefron...&submit=Search

It's not going to show the tensioner type for a '91 since it wasn't an OEM til the late 90's, but it is a direct bolt-in swap if you want it. Otherwise, use the one (non-tensioning) you already have.