DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-14-2013, 01:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 3500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:10
Nitsuj is on a distinguished road
Default Current status of deleting

Hi all. I've not been here long, new to Dodge, new to Diesel. I just bought a Ram 3500 Big Horn with a CTD and 6 speed manual. So here's the thing. As a new diesel owner, there is so much info out there, it makes your head spin. This delete kit, that tuner, that exhaust. It's overload. I have no interest in making diesel tuning my new hobby. I don't want stacks, or tons of black smoke. I only care about my truck running as good as it can, being as reliable as it can be and getting the best mileage its capable of. It seems like it used to be a simple matter of a delete and tuner and the truck runs better, gets better milelage, and no harm to reliablilty. That said, I feel like a year ago, and even 6 months ago, there was some sort of epa crack down making it harder to delete and get a tuner.

So I guess my question is, are the parts available now the same as they were say a year ago, or are they some sort of watered down version now to avoid EPA wrath. Is the Smarty of July 2013 the same as the one you could buy in 2012, or is it a black market pay 3 times retail premium type of deal now. When you're not familiar with diesel tuning and what's available from where, the who,e Inge is kind of daunting.
Sponsored links
Old 07-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 ram 2500
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: flame red
Rep:471
Kcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of light

I'm in basically the same boat as you when it comes to diesels. It's all new to me. I've spent a lot of time trying to figure it all out.

There was a big crack down by the EPA and they've effectively stopped all manufacturers from making delete tuners. However, you can still get them, you just have to pay more for them. Mainly in the range of 1000-1500 bucks for a tuner that a year ago sold for 500-600. If you really want to fully delete at this time you have no choice but to pay the crazy prices.

6" BDS lift kit, BMF R.E.P.R, 37" toyo MT, recon cab lights, color matched interior trim, tinted tails, custom headlights, cjc off-road light bar, backrack, afe stage 2 CAI
sponsored by BULLY'S PERFORMANCE
Old 07-18-2013, 12:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 & 2011 Wrangler
Trim Level: ST
Color: white
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:35
Wandell is on a distinguished road

Exactly. I suggest you start searching for a leftover H&S XRT Pro or H&S Mini Maxx tuner. The tunes are the same, but the Mini Maxx stays connected to your OBII port and has gauges and shift on the fly between tunes. Just make sure it's an older "race tuner" and not a new production "street tuner". Find one of these and a DPF delete pipe and you will be good to go.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 RAM
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:64
NWRQC will become famous soon enough

Another option to look into is EFI-Live. You are looking at about $600 or so for the autocal loaded with tunes (amount of tunes varies from tuner to tuner, but usually 3-4 tunes). You will want to add gauges anytime you modify an engine so for another $300 or so you can have a few gauges to monitor the vitals. There are quite a few good tuners out there that can get you set-up. Check http://www.anarchydieseltuning.com to start. I hear nothing but good things from their tunes and they have been tuning EFI for years.