DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-26-2013, 12:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:17
Rumblefish237 is on a distinguished road
Default question about 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman stock tires and suspension

I just purchased a 2013 1500 4x4 outdoorsman. Love this truck.

It seems pretty level to me already with just a slight rake and it comes with GY Wrangler Silent Armour LT265/70R17.

I will be using this truck as a daily driver about 50% of the time and civilization escape vehicle when I am camping, hunting, and fishing the other 50% (my work commutes is about ten minutes a day and I own a Lancer for inner city driving and parking). I will not be doing any serious off-roading. I will mainly be using logging/decommissioned roads and then hiking in to where I want to go when it gets really thick.

I am thinking of leaving the truck stock because it just looks so good as it is. From what I have researched the tires seem like decent on/off road AT tires that will perform in a variety of conditions and they have the snowflake. According to the Chrysler spec sheets, the OUtdoorsman trim come with Heavy duty shock absorbers in front and extra heavy in the rear. There is no indication as to what brand of shocks/struts are being used.

My questions to the knowledgeable are:

1. Considering my application, will these tires be sufficient or will I see drastic improvement by going up to say a 305/70/R17 tire of similar quality? Is there a better tire out there for my application that is worth the extra money?

2. Considering my application, should I upgrade the suspension system with Bilstien 5100's or Rancho's for example? Will the stock Outdoorsman configuration provide me with the support I require?

Thank you for your time and I appreciate your opinions.

Ps. I have used the search function, but I have some very specific questions and I am having difficulty finding info about the Outdoorsman in particular.
[COLOR="Black"][SIZE="2"][CENTER]Chronology of modifications: Bilstein 5100 series front Adjustable Shocks, Billet Technologies Oil Catch Can, S&B CAI, Magnaflow 18" Muffler, Magnaflow Y-Pipe, Fuel Boost 17" wheels, Goodyear Duratrac 295/70R17, Undercover Flex Tonneau Cover[/CENTER][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Sponsored links
Old 07-26-2013, 03:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:177
richmond has a spectacular aura aboutrichmond has a spectacular aura about
Default Options

Look, if you do both street and trail, do options. Good all terrains should be fine. Now if you go rock crawling that's a different option. I've got an old 98 Ram 1500 4wd I've stuck in more creeks, rivers, logging roads etc...

I have a slight lift, aggressive tire and snatch out logs from my logging roads. I think you qualify as normal off road based on your description.

Richmond

Last edited by richmond; 07-26-2013 at 03:37 AM. Reason: By the way
Old 07-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblefish237 View Post
I just purchased a 2013 1500 4x4 outdoorsman. Love this truck.

It seems pretty level to me already with just a slight rake and it comes with GY Wrangler Silent Armour LT265/70R17.

I will be using this truck as a daily driver about 50% of the time and civilization escape vehicle when I am camping, hunting, and fishing the other 50% (my work commutes is about ten minutes a day and I own a Lancer for inner city driving and parking). I will not be doing any serious off-roading. I will mainly be using logging/decommissioned roads and then hiking in to where I want to go when it gets really thick.

I am thinking of leaving the truck stock because it just looks so good as it is. From what I have researched the tires seem like decent on/off road AT tires that will perform in a variety of conditions and they have the snowflake. According to the Chrysler spec sheets, the OUtdoorsman trim come with Heavy duty shock absorbers in front and extra heavy in the rear. There is no indication as to what brand of shocks/struts are being used.

My questions to the knowledgeable are:

1. Considering my application, will these tires be sufficient or will I see drastic improvement by going up to say a 305/70/R17 tire of similar quality? Is there a better tire out there for my application that is worth the extra money?

The stock tires are good for what you want.

2. Considering my application, should I upgrade the suspension system with Bilstien 5100's or Rancho's for example? Will the stock Outdoorsman configuration provide me with the support I require?

The stock suspension on the Outdoorsman is higher than other Rams and has a nice rake also. If you want to go to bigger tires than I would level the truck. If you go with bigger tires, you should have the 3.55 ratio gears or lower and you will lose some performance.

Thank you for your time and I appreciate your opinions.

Ps. I have used the search function, but I have some very specific questions and I am having difficulty finding info about the Outdoorsman in particular.
I have an Outdoorsman and I am not changing out the suspension or the tires at this time. I think the combination works for normal on and off road driving. If you change these you are taking off brand new parts and spending more money for little gain. I chose to spend the money on other upgrades than on tires, a level kit, exhaust system and intake. I don't need to try and make mine into a race truck.

Unless you want the raised look spend the $2000+ elsewhere. JMO.

Greg

Old 07-26-2013, 11:53 AM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM Big Horn 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:58
Spike will become famous soon enough

I have a Big Horn addition and it is similar in a lot of ways to your Outdoorsman as far as the 4wd setup. I have also done quite a bit of Jeeping in my past.

1. Your tires are so, so. Not all that great but not too bad either. Going to a BFG AT would make a good difference and the extra height would help but only in those rare situations that it really matters. If I were you, I would run the stock tires for a while and see if you think you need to upgrade before dropping the large wads of cash. Mine came with GY HRA's (terrible for off road use) so I swapped them out for a 305 all terrain tire immediatly but I could not afford the BGF's...maybe next time.

2. Your rig is already setup with the limited slip rear, a little heaver suspension and the skid plate group (correct me if I am wrong) so it is pretty nice right out of the box. Again, run it stock for a while and if you need to change it, then you can justify the money for a leveling kit. Consider that if you have been running the stock tires, then going with a leveling kit and some larger rubber would go nicely together at this time.

For me, I immediatly swapped my stock tires with some 10 ply, 33x12 all terrains because I tend to tear up tires on my trips to the Colorado mountians and west Texas. I plan on running a 2" leveling kit and feel that this setup will take me anywhere that I would go in a big truck. I figure that if this setup ends up not being enough, I have to decide to go straight to the full suspension kit world of 4-6".

Or, tow the FJ40 and leave the truck in the parking lot.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:15 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Longhorn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Red
Rep:55
Bruce E will become famous soon enough

You should be fine with what you have, I just dealt my TRX4 last week and could drive it on most of the logging roads here. When I decided to go a little further I added a small lift and 35's and made it anywhere I wanted to go.