DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Oudoorsman
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:39
Outdoorsman2012 is on a distinguished road
Default Engine Oil Cooler Installed

So after traveling with my tt I decided it would be best to install an engine oil cooler.

I wrote this up after my last travel to let others know how I like my truck if they're thinking of towing. Summary...Everything went great! Max temps seen before are as follows

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=145900

Trans-163f
Engine-222 most of the way max of 230f
Coolant-215f

On the way home the engine ran a little higher around 228 and the final hill to my house is about a mile straight up at 20mph and engine maxed at 237f

With these higher engine temps it made me a little nervous because I never saw these temp drop when traveling, it always stayed constant once the temperature rose.

Now I installed the engine oil cooler last week and traveled the same route this week except i went an hour further into Vermont this weekend.

I installed the cooler below. It was an easy install...see the video below, it will help if you have questions on install.

http://www.etrailer.com/Engine-Oil-C...le/D15405.html

Install took about an hour total and while doing this I also changed the oil and went to synthetic from conventional. In total with the cooler it took 8qts which is about 1qt more than before. Now I can't tell you for sure if the synthetic oil helped but i can tell you that together they performed very well.

With the temps seen above I was now running about 204f and saw 208f once. I did notice that the temp didn't really fluctuate like I expected. The cooler has a built in thermostat that is supposed to start cooling the oil at 180f. So I figured it would be able to keep the oil around this temp. However it didn't but did keep the temps about 20f lower than without the cooler. On the way home the hill before my house the temp rose to 212f which is 25f lower than it did the time before.

Running empty the temp hovers around 190f where it was usually 201-4f before

I will include pictures later so you can see what it looks like. If you have any questions let me know and i'll try to help an answer them.

Oh an btw this is not an additional trans cooler....some get this messed up, this is a cooler for the engine oil.

Overall I'm happy with the cooler and would install it again.
Sponsored links
Old 07-08-2013, 10:19 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 SXT Crew Cab
Trim Level: SXT
Rep:14
Dragonmaster13 is on a distinguished road

looks like a ni e product. were the ambient conditions the same on yourntest runz?
Old 07-09-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmaster13 View Post
looks like a ni e product. were the ambient conditions the same on yourntest runz?
Totally forgot to include that...they were actually very similar.

On the way up without cooler two weeks ago approx 72 out and had front windows cracked while driving. On the way back it was 90 and had the ac in.

This trip it was about 75 out and had ax on, on the way up and 86 on the way back with the ac on also.

On both trips we left about 6am and left at about noon.

Driving style also changed a little, on the first trip I had too much grease on the wdh and it was causing sway so I drove about 55, where the most recent trip I was able to travel 60-65 mostly around 60.

Driving faster would have only caused the engine get hotter faster. I didn't notice any more shifting with the increase in speed.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:20
Warthog Fixer is on a distinguished road

Have the factory guys seen this upgrade? Or has it caused you any warranty issues?

I'm thinking about doing the same thing because I see my oil temp getting dangerously warm!! And it doesn't come down in temp for an extended period compaired to the cooland and tranmission...
Old 07-29-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog Fixer View Post
Have the factory guys seen this upgrade? Or has it caused you any warranty issues?

I'm thinking about doing the same thing because I see my oil temp getting dangerously warm!! And it doesn't come down in temp for an extended period compaired to the cooland and tranmission...
Truthfully I never considered that and I'm kinda wondering now. It can easily be taken off as it just unscrews and cut a few wire ties and its gone ten minutes max. I may have to ask the dealer bc I do not want any issues with that as I've kept pretty much everything stock to keep warranty.

From a few more trips with the trailer my first impressions still stand. The temps are lower when towing usually around 200-210. However it doesn't seem to ever drop in temp which is what I was looking for when I installed it. It did add about 1 at of extra capacity for a total of 8.

Are you running synthetic oil? If not I would switch first and see what that does. I switched when I installed the cooler. Some say it will help others say it won't but I would give it a try first.

The highest I've seen before cooler way 237 which was the mile hill before my house at 20 mph which is the fastest you can go with or without trailer. Since install the highest I've seen is 215. Overall I like it but if it voids warranty I wouldn't do it so I would check with your dealer as they may say the exact opposite that mine does.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:50 PM

to date the oil cooler seems to be working great. only 2000miles on it total but most of it was towing the 7500lbs camper as i have a work vehicle. I have made numerous 4hr trips with camper and overall it still lowered the temp about 20degrees. I have also checked numerous times for leaks and have yet to find one!
Old 09-08-2013, 10:42 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:272
h2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the rough

Glad it is working out for you. It was a great post. Reps for you.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:48 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
racecar67 is on a distinguished road
Default oil cooler

I too experanced high oil temps while towing my TT in the mountains. I use Amsoil and was still a little worried at the oil temp spike and not coming down. I went a little different route and got a big cooler with a fan. It keeps the temp of the oil at 180 on very hot days. I have not towed yet but have a camping trip planned about 3 hours away at the end of the month.
Hear is the one I installed.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:10 AM

Looks like a better setup than I have. I do not have a fan. Deffinetly let us know how it works. I do not see temps above 180 while driving empty since install and it takes about three times as long to get to the 175 mark than it did before. Would be very curious to know if it actually cools the oil. Mine just keeps temps lower but I've still yet to see it cool it once temps reach 200 it just keeps them there I've yet to see it drop to say 190 after reaching 200.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:39 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent mods. And good write ups.