DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-30-2013, 05:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:44
TaderzNgravy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTex View Post
Just swap to a pre vvt block... Everyone's doing it! Well not everyone... I think the advantages of a pre VVT block out way whatever avantages you think you will get with a VVT motor... Show me a timeslip of a VVT car that is faster than the heavy hitting pre vvt block guys? You cant cuz those guys are running almost a full second faster or more... Easy to Tune, Big Cams, More Power, Faster Slips...
You have the biggest f*ckin' hard-on for pre vvt blocks, don't you? The only reason there aren't too many big vvt builds yet is because there are only a few successful tuners. You're just pissed that your "hand built" motor isn't making any power. I'll tell you right now, its not the motor its the tuner.

The VVT LXs are spanking pre vvt LXs with the same bolt ons. There are pre vvt LXs that are struggling to break into the 13s with bolt ons yet mine ran 13.3 stock. So tell me how exactly is the vvt worse?

We'll be proving the potential of the vvt engines later this year with Gabe's truck. He'll be one of, if not the fastest, 4th gen on here... if he's not already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef2011 View Post
Consider this a challenge accepted. I just authorized Mike to investigate an aggressive VVT cam in my stock 392 along with the phaser and whatever else is necessary. Bottom line is it has to make power or else I'm staying stock.

Mike updated me a little while ago, I don't see why we couldn't make that guarantee.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:249
CHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
This is what i keep telling folks and i just cant get through to them... And is why im trying to make it clear to anyone tring to do some fairly extreme stuff to one of these VVT motors. Is take my advice or do your own research before you buy. Or try to figure out a solution other than boost, cuz i went to the end of the line on my motor and now im paying for it because i cant install an agressive enough cam because of VVT...

I could boost the hell out of my motor but why? I would need another $10k to install a built T-56 or 4L80 to hold up to it...

Im interested to see how MGH's transmission holds up to the abuse with the direction this build is going too. I hope it holds and if not i hope that MGH can find a way to figure out why it failed and make it even better than before. To help further his business and make a name for himself so he can start mass producing these suckers
There is no other solution better than boost $$ to hp.

Stage 2 is underway
Old 07-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Rep:120
ironchef2011 will become famous soon enoughironchef2011 will become famous soon enough

Boost plus an L&M tranny would definitely be the most cost effective AND reliable way to put power to the ground. Driving in a twin turbo Ram with 40K and years of abusive driving was my deciding factor. Along with software tuning by Josh at HHP as well of course.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:18 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:36
ericlee9386 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef2011 View Post
Boost plus an L&M tranny would definitely be the most cost effective AND reliable way to put power to the ground. Driving in a twin turbo Ram with 40K and years of abusive driving was my deciding factor. Along with software tuning by Josh at HHP as well of course.
Your 392 on any kind of boost would be a monster. I wouldn't even waste time on a cam, well maybe a blower or turbo cam. It seems only F.I. is the best way to go. I really want to do the comp cam since i have everything in place already. But i think i'm just going to get a blower.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:30 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 6.6L Hemi!
Trim Level: Crew Cab Sport 4x4
Color: Stone White
Rep:366
RamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVYKLR View Post
There is no other solution better than boost $$ to hp.
Im just glad your going forged i dont trust the hypereutectics we got from the factory.

One thing i would have your machinist look at is your core shift. Mine fixed the core shift on my block, he said it was off a bit from the factory. Not sure if yall were going to get any machine work done to it or not. Just something to look into, dont forget to clearance the rod bolts either. May want to have him replace the cam bearings too.

Im sure yall will make it right!

Ive put over 10,000 miles on my motor and its still running strong the tranny on the other hand may not last lol... Gotta love being able to run 90mph in overdrive just under 2k rpms and still get 14 -15 mpgs lol

"New Project" 1969 Road Runner
BV Heads,K1 Crank and Rods,Corrillo Pistons,ARP Head, Main, Side Studs and Rod Bolts,Spartan Eagle Cam,6.1 Manifold,Fastman 85mm,LMI Hammer, ARH's,3000TC,Hemifever Tuning

Last edited by RamTex; 07-31-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab TRX
Trim Level: TRX
Color: Detonator Yellow
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:29
NolaRam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
6.1L crank uses a 32 tooth reluctor wheel and the new vvt 5.7L uses a 58 tooth, Manley does offer a 6.1L crank with a 58 tooth reluctor wheel but you'd need to pick up a snout spacer for the 5.7L timing set. There's not much room to over bore the chambers, and doing so reduces the number of potential rebuilds if something goes wrong. I have a 349cu in vvt block with a 6.1L crank and the bore is 3.937", the engine builder had to swap reluctor wheels and I just put the engine in this week and so far we haven't been able to get it to fire up, but I'm hoping it's just a startup tune issue.
so did you use the srt crank and have them add/swap the 58 tooth wheel?

Sounds like an easy enough fix to getting a hard crank for a good price. with good rods and pistons you can boost away.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:30 AM

RamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really nice

Is the 6.1 crank forged i cant remember?

BV Heads,K1 Crank and Rods,Corrillo Pistons,ARP Head, Main, Side Studs and Rod Bolts,Spartan Eagle Cam,6.1 Manifold,Fastman 85mm,LMI Hammer, ARH's,3000TC,Hemifever Tuning
Old 08-02-2013, 07:21 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:44
TaderzNgravy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yup

(15 character min)
Old 08-02-2013, 08:42 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaRam View Post
so did you use the srt crank and have them add/swap the 58 tooth wheel?

Sounds like an easy enough fix to getting a hard crank for a good price. with good rods and pistons you can boost away.
The guys at PWR used a 6.1L crank and swapped reluctor wheels. They didn't use the Manley crank for my build.

Quote:
Yes it is. Crank is one of the last things to worry about in a 6.1L build.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:39 AM

The 6.4 crank isnt forged though right?